X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end problems

I just took my X in because whenI go over bumps there would be a knocking noise coming from the front end. The shop foreman at jaguar told me that the noise was becuase my front lower control arms are bad, So they took my car for 2 days and replaced the control arms. I got the car back but the problem is alot worse than it was before, It sounds like the whole front end is just going all over the place when i go over a bump. My girlfriend says she can feel someting clunking under her when shes sitting in the passenger seat. Could it be the sway bar bushings or do you think jaguar just forgot to tighten something or put something back?

I forgot to mention that they didnt even test drive the car after they did the work but they tried making me think they did because the mileage in said 48,320 and mileage out said 48,325, When I got in the car to drive off the mileage still said 48,320.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Front end problems

Possibly sway bar bushings. Easy to replace. Could be the upper strut bearing. I have done alot of them. Makes nasty knocking noise over bumps. I would have talked to dealer before leaving and said if they lied about driving car, how can I have any faith that they replaced anything they said they did.

Either way, take it back and tell them it is not right.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the info. I called Jag this morning and my service advisor said I cant bring the car in until monday because i have to go for a test drive with the shop foreman. My service advisor also told me that select edition kicked back the claim for my control arms saying there not going to pay, I have a feeling there not going to want to be very helpful in fixing the problem now since they lost quite a bit of money doing my control arms.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is their problem not yours, generally from what I've taken in about select edition and the dealer is that BEFORE they even FIX your car they get the repair approved through select edition. Sounds like the dealer is trying to get you feeling for them so you aren't quite as mad or to help them not look so stupid you just feel bad for them. So anyways they should have approved the fix before fixing the car so it isn't your problem at all. My car had a pretty decent clunk in the front end and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the sway bar bushings or something like that. From what the service tech told me though they replace the whole entire thing...If I find my receipt I'll let you know what it was...That cured my problems I had figured it was my control arm making the noise as well but it wasn't, I told the shop that was the problem and he had them check and they said it wasn't even the control arm, but whatever it was they replaced it was a part covered under SE.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Yeah I think there just trying to make me feel bad for them like you said. I bet it is the sway bar bushings that are clunking now that i think about it. The bushings arnt covered under select edition but the whole assembly that comes with the bushings is covered, So maybe I can get them to replace the whole assembly for the inconvience. I dont get how the bushings by them selves arnt covered but the whole assembly is.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

See they never told me that, all I know is they replaced the entire thing and I didn't pay a penny so I didn't care...although I did pay for the rental (because I wanted the insurance and all that bs...didn't actually pay for the rental itself.)

They are for sure pulling your leg don't give in! They are making you feel bad!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Select covers control arms. They kicked back the claim because of a dealer error.
Sway bar bushings are easy. Buy them and do it yourself. Dealer shouldnt charge any more than 1/2 hour. If they try to charge more, ask to see the labour guide where it shows that price. If they can't show it to you, walk away.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM

I would rather have the dealer do it for free under select edition if at all possible because its $54 for each front bushing and $74for each rear with my 20% off. They want $605 to change out all 4.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Take it in and have them see what they say, but don't take the crap about it not being covered and they must cover the loss, that is their own problem although as fjt says they should be covered (especially when he's the one that told me that was probably what was the problem with my car and they fix them all the time and they are covered under SE.) Good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM

I now have a new friend that is a big wig for Jaguar Customer Relations and he told me to call him tomorrow if Jag gives me any problems and he'll send an area representative down right away to investigate.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Well I just dropped my car of at jag and they felt really stupid when I told them I know they didnt test drive my car because if they did the mileage wouldnt be the same and they would of heard and felt whatever is wrong in the front-end. THe shop foreman thinks its the front sway bar bushings and they arnt covered under Select but I'm trying to get them toreplace the whole assembly which is covered for the inconvience.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Dude they know that! They are freaking trying to take you for a ride...pm FactoryJagTech and he'll direct you as to what to do. He's a great help and he helped me...

Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont worry...on a test drive at Moore Jagaur in St. Louis MO, i was standing outside (little did they know) when they were taking my car for a test drive for suspension and when they left they revved it to the rev limiter and then dopped the clutch resulting in the tires squeling. What that had to do with the suspension i will never know, but they denied all claims i made and said i had no proof of this. I watched it with my own damn eyes. Shortly after the transfer case had to be replaced...how ironic huh...and at their expense. After that, i had them note on the file that only i was to drive my car or have it driven under direct supervision of me. I am 19 and have never driven it like that, what gives them the right to? Especially over suspension bumping that coul;d be heard driving around the parking lot as i later proved.

Just thought i would share with you that you should be on all rides or be the one driving if possible.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

So what ended up happening with the suspension?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM

They said that some of the bolts had to be retightened because they worked themselves loose (Which I know is BS), So they retightened everything and they said theres still a slight noise when going over bumps. My advisor says I need to replace the sway bar bushings and that should fix the problem but they want to charge me $305 to change just the fronts, So I told them I'll do them myself. There also trying to figure out whats wrong with my vehicle inertia switch so I wont get to test drive it myself untiltomorrow when I pick it up.

It was funny watching the shop foreman yell at everyone about how important it is totest drive cars after there serviced. The noise happened everytime we hit a bump during the test drive, So if they would have test driven it after the control arms were put on they would have knownfor sure that the problem still wasnt fixed.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1

So what ended up happening with the suspension?
Sway bar end link bushings. I told them the first time it was them and i had to take it back 4 other times until i drove them a total of 100 ft from service door back to service door. There is no way they even looked for it before that. They were just out tearing someone elses **** up. Used 1/8th tank of gas in less than 6 miles...thats running it hard for sure.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...mine were fixed under se...did you contact fjt or no?