X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shaking

Hello all I have been getting this front end shake after I reach or pass 45 mph, checked balljoints good tierod ends good replaced plastic stabilizer links also had tires rotated and high speed balanced... Rims are brand new so no warps bends or cracks, I'm thinking either subframe bushings and or control are bushing but not 100% advice????

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Eclaudio1, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and people here. We pride ourselves in being a different car group. As part of this, we ask that you stop by the New Member Section and give us a short intro about yourself. We get to learn a little bit about you and you get to meet all those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem, get an alignment done on the car. I bet you will find that the toe on the car is off by just a little bit and that will be enough to create the wobble that you are feeling. The other thing that I would say to try is to find a big cloverleaf exit (or other long sweeping turn you can do at about 25 mph) and then while in the corner, step on the gas like you were going to pass another car (keeping the car under control). Did the rear end of the feel like it was going to step out from under you? If so, your problem lies with the rear end of the car and you need to replace the lower/forward control arms for the rear suspension (both sides). These are super easy to replace as it is nothing more than removing 2 bolts (1 on each end of the arm) and then the arm will fall out of the car.

If you need more assistance, let us know.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Eclaudio1, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and people here. We pride ourselves in being a different car group. As part of this, we ask that you stop by the New Member Section and give us a short intro about yourself. We get to learn a little bit about you and you get to meet all those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem, get an alignment done on the car. I bet you will find that the toe on the car is off by just a little bit and that will be enough to create the wobble that you are feeling. The other thing that I would say to try is to find a big cloverleaf exit (or other long sweeping turn you can do at about 25 mph) and then while in the corner, step on the gas like you were going to pass another car (keeping the car under control). Did the rear end of the feel like it was going to step out from under you? If so, your problem lies with the rear end of the car and you need to replace the lower/forward control arms for the rear suspension (both sides). These are super easy to replace as it is nothing more than removing 2 bolts (1 on each end of the arm) and then the arm will fall out of the car.

If you need more assistance, let us know.
Ok read and did what you said the rear stayed up with me, as far as the alignment is concerned I just had it done three days ago and it was within specs, it is only wobbling at front right wheel. with all of this said I broke down and took it to my uncles shop placed it on the lift and sure enough the front right wheel hub bearing assembly needs to be replaced so I ordered both now I just have to curb her till I get them in 3 days

Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Possibly front control arm bushings.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

My guess is outer tie rod ends. I had this wobbly feeling around turns on my passenger side when I first got my car, and it turned out the tie rod end on that side was shot and loose. New tie rod ends were easy to install and go rid of that wobbly wheel feeling around turns. You can test if you need them by jacking up the car and trying to wiggle the tire side to side with your hands. If it moves side to side, it's a sign your tie rod ends are shot. If it moves up and down I think that's your bearing or ball joint.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess is the new wheels, by implication the problem was not there before the wheels were changed. Are they the same spec as the original wheels or have you gone up in diameter and/or width and/or changed the offset?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by alan924
My guess is the new wheels, by implication the problem was not there before the wheels were changed. Are they the same spec as the original wheels or have you gone up in diameter and/or width and/or changed the offset?

Actually the wobble started with out the new rims, i have the inner and outer tierods ready to go in the took the whole spindle off both sides and sent to machine shop to have old bearings pressed out and new ones pressed in. Lol I out the rims on to see how much lift I needed and I was right I need two inches, loads of work yet to be done but she's on her way thanks for all the comments