X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front roll bar bushes RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front roll bar bushes RESOLVED

Does anyone know if i can change the front roll bar bushes on my 04 x-type 2.0d without dropping the sub frame and how easy is it please thanks george

Old 08-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes it can be done-

In fact, I did it today. It IS a pain. I do have a lift in my garage which helped - it helped on todays' project by providing access.

You WILL need a extra-long 13MM wrench. I mean long - this will help break the 2 nuts holding the bushing brackets free.

You WILL need a both a straight 13mm (for the front bolt) and a flex 13mm (for the rear bolt) "Gear Wrench" type (got mine from Sears) -I don't know how you'd do the job without them.

Also - replace the end links -mine "fell apart" as I was removing them - unreal for only 46K miles. I got mine from Amazon - Moog parts -made in USA for about 32 bucks. Before starting, I also removed the end links so that the stabilizer bar would move freely and provide me better access while I worked. Another tip before you start, unlock the steering wheel - then you can move the front "wheels" left and right - this help a bit with access to the bushing bracket bolts.

When reinstalling the bushing brackets, clean the bolts via wire brush and use WD-40 or like so that you can "hand-start" the bolts - no access for wrenches when first putitng them back in - I uesd my finger to get them started, then finished with them using the corresponding "Gear Wrench".

All told, it took about 2.5 hours....then a couple chills as a reward for a job well done.

Hope this helps!!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-30-2012)
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice info! How about the whole sway bar? Can that be replaced without dropping the front subframe? My custom swaybars showed up the other day and I can't wait to get them on...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffx328ci
In fact, I did it today. It IS a pain. I do have a lift in my garage which helped - it helped on todays' project by providing access.

You WILL need a extra-long 13MM wrench. I mean long - this will help break the 2 nuts holding the bushing brackets free.

You WILL need a both a straight 13mm (for the front bolt) and a flex 13mm (for the rear bolt) "Gear Wrench" type (got mine from Sears) -I don't know how you'd do the job without them.

Also - replace the end links -mine "fell apart" as I was removing them - unreal for only 46K miles. I got mine from Amazon - Moog parts -made in USA for about 32 bucks. Before starting, I also removed the end links so that the stabilizer bar would move freely and provide me better access while I worked. Another tip before you start, unlock the steering wheel - then you can move the front "wheels" left and right - this help a bit with access to the bushing bracket bolts.

When reinstalling the bushing brackets, clean the bolts via wire brush and use WD-40 or like so that you can "hand-start" the bolts - no access for wrenches when first putitng them back in - I uesd my finger to get them started, then finished with them using the corresponding "Gear Wrench".

All told, it took about 2.5 hours....then a couple chills as a reward for a job well done.

Hope this helps!!
Great stuff thanks i will give it a go i do have the new drop links as well changing them from the plastic type to the metal ones they look more sturdy thanks for the reply
Regards George

Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing the front anti-roll bar...

Boy, I don't see how you can remove the front anti-roll bar without dropping the front sub-frame. When I did the bushings, I did each in place.

Perhaps with some fancy "twisting" you could get the bar out, but....good luck.

FYI - Parts numbers:

Jag front bushings: C2S 51258 -I coughed up the coin for these

Moog Front Anti-roll bar End links:K 80486 - these are $32.15 each at Amazon - plus Free Shipping! Far better than the insane price Jag wants....

Moog Rear Anti-roll bat End links: K 80860 - again $27.77 each at AMZ -plue Free Shipping!

Anyone know where I can find/x-cross reference for the Rear anti-roll bar Bushing? Jag Part C2S 51264???

I am having a REALLY tough time spending over $50 for a $2 rubber part. even more bothersome when Jag KNOWS it a lousy (and I am being kind here) part to start with....

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Been there, done that

Blood, sweat and a lot of swearing. I changed the bushings without a lift, with a floorjack and 2 axle-stands.

Donīt know if iīd do it again.. There just isnīt room to operate. Gear wrench is a must.

Thanks for the hints. Wouldnīt even had tried the job without this thread. I didnīt remove the end links fearing that theyīd fall apart. I donīt think that it would done much of a difference if you remove them or not.

Happy about the result anyway. No more clunks from the front and handling is different. BTW, bushings cost 45eur (60usd) a pop.. With the same price you can get pu-bushings, but i was in a hurry because of the yearly MOT, so I couldnīt wait for the pu-bushings to arrive.

Thanks once again for the hints, saved a ton to DIY.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-30-2012)