Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frozen E-brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Default frozen E-brake

I knew I had a problem with the brakes and thought it might be one of the e-brake lines getting some gum in it, causing it to release slow (could feel in the handle some slack when releasing the e-brake). I crawled under the car and with a little bit of looking figured out the right rear caliper has a frozen e-brake lever. I tried pulling off the lever to clean it up, but that didn't help much and there is a rubber gasket around the shaft, so attempting to lube it is next to worthless. Anyone else had this problem and was able to fix it without getting a new caliper? I have a feeling it will be easier to get a new caliper. I can get one at the local auto parts store for around $100 out the door (plus $40 core charge).

I'm not worried about having the e-brake remain locked up on me as during my playing, I noted that the e-brake doesn't engage on that side. I could still move the rotor with my hands only with the lever all the way up. So, I'm not worried about that. But, should I need the e-brake, it would be nice to know that it is there.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. I can't say that I have seen any rebuild kits for our calipers. Granted, this did get me thinking about what it would take to get a set of brake calipers from off of say an XJ8 or even an XK and use them on our cars since I am sure their calipers are heavier duty and would more than likely improve the stopping power. One of the random thoughts in my head today.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

from my experience it's a whole lot easier to replace the caliper. I doubt they sell a caliper rebuild kit and if they do, it'll probably cost as much as new caliper itself.....

But if you have the time and are a DIY'er, you can probably give it a shot. just be careful not to damage any of the seals.

I'm sure if you take the caliper apart, you'll find rust and what not.....this is one of them reasons i always say you should flush your brake lines everytime you do a brake job.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Just to add insult to injury, I went to Advance Auto Parts and tried to get a new caliper (had it listed at $107). They guy says that they can order it for me (none in stock), but that the caliper is on national backorder. So, might be tomorrow, might be a few months from now. So, great. What to do now. I am going to give Ken a quite write and see what he can do. I have a feeling going to Autozone and/or Napa, or etc will net the same result of "its on national back order". yeah, NO!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thermo,
If it was me, I'd pull the caliper loose and see if the parking brake lever can be loosened up. I know when I did my rear brakes I didn't disconnect the parking brake cable or the brake hose and there was enough flexibility there to replace the pads. So you should be able to work with the parking brake mechanism and maybe free it up.
Just my thoughts.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Bob, I have had the e-brake cable off, the lever off, moved it back and forth numerous times, sprayed with WD-40, exercised more, all to no avail. I will admit that it got a little easier, but still not loose enough to allow the spring to pull the lever to where it needed to be. Oh well, tonight is going to be running around, seeing what I can find in the way of local shops that might be able to get me a part. Whoo hoooo. May the games begin.