Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door not opening

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door not opening

Hello Everyone,

I tried to pump gas last night and the fuel door would not open. I made several attempts to pull the release, but no luck. I finally stuck my fingers in the door-gap and popped it open.

I tried searching but didn't find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is a common issue. There is a little 2 pronged springie (thing for lack of a better term) which is easily bent by the cap holder. You should be able to open it with someone pulling up the release and while you pull on the door. The clip isn't too pricey if you just want a new one. Once open you can tell if the release cable is broken by having someone pull the lever while you look at the cable lock to see if it moves.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Can open the fuel door if I prop up the lever so it wouldn`t be the cable. Do the `springy thingies`just get weak or can they be returned to a more normal position that will hold for a while.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
ud

Originally Posted by mohrd
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Can open the fuel door if I prop up the lever so it wouldn`t be the cable. Do the `springy thingies`just get weak or can they be returned to a more normal position that will hold for a while.
They get bent back in by "careless fills". I bent mine back out a few times. Wife seems to bend them back up within a few fill-ups. Just close it a bit and you'll see how much you need to bend 'em. Definately a poor design IMO

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will take a look and see what I can find. I do remember seeing a small chrome piece that was tucked under the fuel cap, it looked kind of bent and got even more bent as I turned the cap to open it.

man…. so far it seems like something goes wrong with this car ever other day….. just about an hour ago, my remote stopped working and I’m still not able to open the driver’s door from the outside. Now I have to leave the doors unlocked because otherwise I’ll lock myself out.

I’m a little disappointed. I should’ve bought a earlier model Jag. L

Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

On the key FOB, here too, there are a couple of common problems. One is the FOB itself succumbs to static electricity damage. Another (and I bet is your problem), the ignition lock door (the little metal flap) that opens when the key is inserted, then shuts when the key is removed, sticks open. When this little door is open the security module thinks the key is still in the ignition and disarms the FOB. CAREFULLY (don't overdo it) spray the lock opening with WD40. Be careful not to flood the lock cylinder as this causes additional electrical problems.

If that doesn't work, you're back to the FOB, or, another less popular issue on the X is one of the door solenoids or linkages, usually the driver's door.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by steve11
On the key FOB, here too, there are a couple of common problems. One is the FOB itself succumbs to static electricity damage. Another (and I bet is your problem), the ignition lock door (the little metal flap) that opens when the key is inserted, then shuts when the key is removed, sticks open. When this little door is open the security module thinks the key is still in the ignition and disarms the FOB. CAREFULLY (don't overdo it) spray the lock opening with WD40. Be careful not to flood the lock cylinder as this causes additional electrical problems.

If that doesn't work, you're back to the FOB, or, another less popular issue on the X is one of the door solenoids or linkages, usually the driver's door.

Thanks Steve... I reprogrammed the key fob today and so far the remote is working. Now, only if i can get the driver's door to unlock from the outside.... I'm gonna work on it this weekend.

thanks for all of your help.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm unclear. Does the drivers door not unplug with the key?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
ud

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I'm unclear. Does the drivers door not unplug with the key?
Really now doesn't that seem like a lot of work. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm sorry I should've been more specific. I'm able to lock and un-lock all of the doors either with the remote or the key, but I'm not able to open the driver's door using the outside handle.

Now, here's where it gets a little tricky. The outside handle will not open the door until the door is first opened from the inside. After that, I'm able to open it using the outside handle, but as soon as I lock / unlock the doors, the driver's door outside handle starts acting-up again.

I’m thinking that there may be something going on with the lock / unlock function inside the door; perhaps a physical disconnect or a failed electronic component… ( I can feel that there’s more tension on the driver’s door inside-handle compared to the other doors). The dealer quoted me $350 for a new locking mechanism???

I posted this on another thread but got no help. I'd be very appreciative if someone helps me out.

Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Car is unlocked but when you pull on the handle from the outside, handle goes up but door doesn't open? Does that about describe it?

If you do search on the X-type Forum, there should be some discussion about a plastic connector that is part of the mechanism, that tends to fail and how to repair it.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Car is unlocked but when you pull on the handle from the outside, handle goes up but door doesn't open? Does that about describe it?

If you do search on the X-type Forum, there should be some discussion about a plastic connector that is part of the mechanism, that tends to fail and how to repair it.
correct! upon initial unlocking of the door, the "driver's door" does NOT open from the outside. BUT if I opened the door from the inside, then [I can open the door using the "outside" handle all-day long!

I did read many threads, and also made the adjustment to the plastic connector, but it's not that since the door obviously opens/closes after initially opening it from the inside.

I think it has something to do with it not fully unlocking. Hopefully this makes sense. thanks!