X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door will not Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Door will not Open

I have read all the post of the Fuel Door will not Opening, but mine is just frozen.
I happen two weeks ago, and it warmed up to +1 Celsius and it let go.

I done not have a garage to thaw it in. So this week once it got to a quarter tank I started trying to open but it's been -12c for days and -21 this morning.
Going to -4 tomorrow so will try again. I got home today with 2KM left showing. I will take my wife's CRV to work tomorrow.

The advice I am looking for help with the cable. I don't think it latch, the cable feels very tight, handle only comes up half way.
I took the car through a car wash today,but that did help.

I have tried credit card, and plastic knife to try to get latch to no avail, does anyone have any ideals beside having to towed to a garage or waiting until spring?

Thanks
Vic Douse in cold Canada.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Here's a thread on how to remove the door. Then you may be able to figure out what the problem is.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ent-faq-14786/

another fix =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-open-182368/

Failure may be the spring = C2S14632

All parts =

https://www.terrysjag.com/category/X...r-and-Cap.html

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 01-14-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 AM

Thanks Dell for your links.

I had read them before.

My issue is that I have tried having someone lift the gas release tap while trying a plastic card / knife at the center of the back of the fuel door to no avail.
I also took out the two plastic plugs in the truck / boot and look behind it for a release cable, the gas fill pipe seems to be encased in steal, does anyone know for sure if there is indeed a release there?

Should I be more aggressive with a credit card, after the door release the first time last week when it warmed up, I looked at the mechanism and it seemed fine, but I did not lubricate it. I thought it was a one time things. I have X-types for almost 10 yeas and never had this happen before.

I would think prying the door would only work if the latch was somewhat released as the pull tab only goes about half way was wondering if it was just the cable frozen somewhere, but after re-reading post the cable appears to completely inside the car and should not be the problem.

Suppose to get to only -4 tomorrow, I will try prying it again, just hoping to not breaking anything.

Again is there a release in the truck / boot?

Thanks
Vic

Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Guess you really did not read the posts, it tells you entry is not in the trunk. Detailed instructions are in the remove door one, you access through wheel well.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Yes, that one does but other say different that's why I asked for further clarification.

Pried it open tonight, only -4c. Sprayed it with de-icer and wd40.
latch pin moves freely as before.
Close door after putting 10 litres in from a can.
Would not open again, must be the metal spring clip.
Got it open again, leaving it open until I fill tank.

Thanks for your input
Vic
Vic

Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Spring is 999/1000 the problem

Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Dell, just noticed how nice your car is, looks great. I was looking at a red standard convertible one time in Washington state. I should have bought it.

Was only -4 here today, so I spray down the release lever with WD40 and got it free up. I bought a new can last night on the way home from work so I would have straw to really get into it.
If the problem continues I get it into my brother's garage and follow the detailed directions you provided me properly clean it up.
It releasing every time now.
Going down to -16 with -27 windchill tonight, so I check it tomorrow at 6:30 when I leave for work.

Thanks
Vic