X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

My friend and I are looking to replace a 2002 X Type fuel pump. We're looking to cut an access cover under the seat, instead of dropping the fuel tank in order to get to the pump. I've seen threads in the past talking about this exact repair, but wanted to see if anyone had done this before and could provide any more detailed instructions as to where to make the cut and possibly if anyone had any pictures of these steps? Currently, we have the seat pulled off and the rubber insert off.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Aloha Hajiand, I think your best bet would be to use a hole saw and cut say a 2" circle into an open area of the sheet metal and then see where you need to go from there. If there has been people that have done this, it is only 1 or 2. So, I am not sure how much of a response you are going to get. Atleast with the hole, you can look in, spot what you need to go after and then proceed in a smart path. Then, with the bigger plate off, you can weld up the smaller hole and add a bit to the plate you removed to make install a lot easier. Otherwise I think you will be guessing as to where the cuts need to go.

Keep safe my ohana.

I used to live on the island back in 03-05. Lived just off Kam Highway across from the airport. If you remember a lifted green Expedition running around the island (was the only one on the island), then that was me. Did a lot with the Ford truck group there. Enjoyed my time on the island and did a lot of playing up at Keana Point.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe you can get one of those magnetic pick-up tools to stick to the sheet metal directly over the fuel pump, and then use a small screw or BB on the top side to find where to center the hole.

As far as cutting the hole, those $20 USD Air Chisel Guns usually come with a sheet metal cutting tool, and don't make fine metals shavings that might be problematic. They also only extend maybe 1/8th of an inch into the hidden side of the sheet metal, and that may minimize any danger of damaging the tank or wiring.

Be sure to cover the tool with a rag or towel when you hit the trigger, though - they are cheap and sloppy tools, and tend to burp a bit of oil out of the exhaust port. Wear eye and ear protection, and hold it firmly with both hands against the sheet metal, as it will want to jump around like a cat grabbed by the tail.

Photos of the project would be nice!

Best 'o Luck.