X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funking Cheap Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Funking Cheap Lug Nuts

URGH. Driving home from work yesterday my rear tire went flat thanks to a nice screw that made its way inside. Got the spare out thinking I'll be on my marry way in 10 mins, tops. WRONG. Stupid cheap Jaguar lug nut had seized and in me trying to loosen it, the wrench slipped and bent the cover pretty badly. I was in a hurry cause I need to pick up my son from preschool. I ended up driving 0.5 miles to a gas station to fill it up with air so I can hurry up and get to his school.

By the time I got home, it was flat again. It took me 25 mins to get the damn cover off of the lug nut with a hammer and chisel so I can finally take it off in what felt like 100 degree weather. I took the tire to a local shop and a minute later the rep asked me to come on back. Never a good sign. With the tire off, he showed me how the wall was chewed on, rubber dust and chunks all over the inside.

So in the end, the stupid lug nut ended up costing me $145 for a new tire. It's on order from Tirerack while I get around on the donut.

To play it safe, I ordered a set of RAD (German made) lug nuts to replace all the crappy OEM ones on the car. I would never want this to happen to me again, especially so if I was miles away from home or at night.

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Hey Speilnicht,
Its not the OEM lug-nuts that are at fault... it the size of wrench (too big) that has likely been used on them. Often, people use a 3/4" A/F socket (19.05mm) whereas the correct size is 19mm A/F.... which fits more snugly.

Using the oversize imperial socket size will eventually bugger up the S/S cover
on the Nut.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Lcgi; 05-18-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Mark Scotton (05-29-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

We hear you, brother. Lots of us have moved away from those tin capped OEM nuts.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me lol and in doing so i had the same damn issue and had to replce two wheel studs.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM

I was actually advised by the sales guy when I bought my X-type to change the locking nuts straight away and buy another set as the 2 lugs have a tendency of snapping off ( strange tactic for a sales guy ... but true )

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM

I havent changed all mine out yet and based on this thread i just found my weekend project!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Ha Ha ..... at least it's not a big job .

Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Definitely.......Cheers

Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by spielnicht
URGH. Driving home from work yesterday my rear tire went flat thanks to a nice screw that made its way inside. Got the spare out thinking I'll be on my marry way in 10 mins, tops. WRONG. Stupid cheap Jaguar lug nut had seized and in me trying to loosen it, the wrench slipped and bent the cover pretty badly. I was in a hurry cause I need to pick up my son from preschool. I ended up driving 0.5 miles to a gas station to fill it up with air so I can hurry up and get to his school.

By the time I got home, it was flat again. It took me 25 mins to get the damn cover off of the lug nut with a hammer and chisel so I can finally take it off in what felt like 100 degree weather. I took the tire to a local shop and a minute later the rep asked me to come on back. Never a good sign. With the tire off, he showed me how the wall was chewed on, rubber dust and chunks all over the inside.

So in the end, the stupid lug nut ended up costing me $145 for a new tire. It's on order from Tirerack while I get around on the donut.

To play it safe, I ordered a set of RAD (German made) lug nuts to replace all the crappy OEM ones on the car. I would never want this to happen to me again, especially so if I was miles away from home or at night.
Dude I feel your pain same thing happend to me twice now, I'm actually about to get new one's also.

Black Cat

Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did you buy them from?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by lcgi
hey speilnicht,
its not the oem lug-nuts that are at fault... It the size of wrench (too big) that has likely been used on them. Often, people use a 3/4" a/f socket (19.05mm) whereas the correct size is 19mm a/f.... Which fits more snugly.

Using the oversize imperial socket size will eventually bugger up the s/s cover
on the nut.

Hope this helps....
yep go ahead and use the 19mm and youll be knocking each lug nut out with a hammer or punch. We use 3/4" on them for years and never ever damage a lugnut. I torque them to 80-90ftlbs and i always suggest getting a collapsable 4 way lug wrench from harbour frieght for $11 as the factory wrench is the real pos, not the lug nuts. Yes go ahead and change the lugnuts and then youll ge back complaining about rust stains when they rust.
Fyi, its not a 3/4" socket that does it, but the larger ones that many tire shops try first. After they round a few covers, then they go get the right one
Ive been seeing this for 15 yrs, and a 3/4 is slightly large enough to NOT damage the cover without having to knock each one out, and see many overtorqued damaged ones from shops that dont know there are only 2 size lug nuts on Jaguars for the past 20 yrs, and the later yrs switch to the smaller 3/4" on X/S types 07 up XK, and 04 up XJ.

Lcgi (04-02-2013)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Scotton
Where did you buy them from?
Got them from RAD directly.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got them from RAD directly.
Do you have there website info?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Brutal
yep go ahead and use the 19mm and youll be knocking each lug nut out with a hammer or punch. We use 3/4" on them for years and never ever damage a lugnut. I torque them to 80-90ftlbs and i always suggest getting a collapsable 4 way lug wrench from harbour frieght for $11 as the factory wrench is the real pos, not the lug nuts. Yes go ahead and change the lugnuts and then youll ge back complaining about rust stains when they rust.
Fyi, its not a 3/4" socket that does it, but the larger ones that many tire shops try first. After they round a few covers, then they go get the right one
Ive been seeing this for 15 yrs, and a 3/4 is slightly large enough to NOT damage the cover without having to knock each one out, and see many overtorqued damaged ones from shops that dont know there are only 2 size lug nuts on Jaguars for the past 20 yrs, and the later yrs switch to the smaller 3/4" on X/S types 07 up XK, and 04 up XJ.
Brutal,
So glad you agree with me..... that 19mm A/F IS the correct socket size,
and use of oversize sockets is the real culprit !!