X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny thing happened with LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Funny thing happened with LED lights

So I got a some LED lights for my car and I was checking them out in the dark to get the full effect. They looked good but one of my brake light bulbs was out (probably from about a week ago when I put in new reverse bulbs. So anyways, I open up my tail light and refit the bulb and it turns on, so then I turn on the hazards to see the blinkers and they are flashing green!! So I'm freaking out. I'm like why did my yellow led bulbs turn green! So I'm like thinking they are cheap bulbs that turned green or maybe it's the reflector or something I don't know. So I pull the bulb out and sure enough, it's flashing green!! So I'm stumped. Then I look at my sidemarkers and now they're green too!! So now I'm like ok wait a minute, those were definitely bright yellow. So I know something's going on. I'm thinking the voltage is messed up now with too many LED's or something and the bulbs aren't getting enough power so they're turning green. But when I go to press the lock button the taillights light up yellow again. So I'm like what??? So they're yellow when I set the alarm but they're green when they're blinking?

Then a while later it hit me... Looking at the bright red led brake light bulb burned out my red receptors and all the yellows looked green for a few minutes! Ha! And I was thinking my car was haunted or something!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

04xtype4, granted, they could have been using a mix of red and green LEDs to make yellow light. Yes, try it some time. Granted, it sounds like you have figured out what was going on. But then, I would caution you that if you are having that happen, you were probably looking at too intense of a light and that can lead to eye damage that won't be identifiable until you are older. I do welding and you would be amazed as to what bright light can do to you.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I know. I didn't even realize what had happened until later. Those brake bulbs are really bright and I must have looked straight into it for a couple seconds... enough to make all the yellows look green for a couple minutes... I was freaking out that I had been driving around with green blinkers... I will double check but I am pretty sure it was just a result of looking into the bright red bulb first. Don't recommend doing that.

I did change the bulbs in my interior to a white led in the dome and footwells. It's cool. When you open up the door it's just a nice white glow instead of that glaring yellow light that was in the overhead dome that you can't turn off. Also you can leave it on longer without worrying about the battery. I love LED lights though so it kind of started off small and now almost everything is LED. Also got some brighter LED bulbs for the high beam parking lights. They are not SUPER bright but they are like 50% brighter than the LED bulbs I had in there. At night it looks cool though, when just the parking lights are on. I was wanting to use them as DRL's but they are not really bright enough to be that visible during the day. Would probably have to go with like the brightest cree's you can get for that.