Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Identification problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Identification problem

X Type 2.5PI 2002 RHD

I need to identify the fuse conytrolling the climate control unit. It is not working and I want to check the fuse before moving on.

For clarity the unit is not working nor is the display or any of the controls located on it.

Thanks very much, Martin

Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Martin, you will need to check 3 fuses as each one provides power to different aspects of the climate control unit. Loss of any of these can result in what you are seeing.

First, check fuse #75 (7.5 amp), #80 (7.5 amp), and #99 (10 amp) under the hood. After that, you are getting into things that are controlled by the main control module. Now, along these lines, because the X-Type comes with a few different styles of climate control units, what kind do you have? You have the style that is a stand alone unit with a basic radio and then you also have the kind that is integrated into the radio. That will help someone like me be able to give you more specific information to help get to a resolution on this issue.

The following users liked this post:
mparry (01-17-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Martin, you will need to check 3 fuses as each one provides power to different aspects of the climate control unit. Loss of any of these can result in what you are seeing.

First, check fuse #75 (7.5 amp), #80 (7.5 amp), and #99 (10 amp) under the hood. After that, you are getting into things that are controlled by the main control module. Now, along these lines, because the X-Type comes with a few different styles of climate control units, what kind do you have? You have the style that is a stand alone unit with a basic radio and then you also have the kind that is integrated into the radio. That will help someone like me be able to give you more specific information to help get to a resolution on this issue.
Hi The climate control is seperate from the radio which is an old radio/cassette type. However the radio is till working fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by mparry
Hi The climate control is seperate from the radio which is an old radio/cassette type. However the radio is till working fine.
Also, sorry to do this, on checking my users manual my engine fusebox numbers go from F1 - F42. Do you think this is a UK thing?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Well done Thermo. You were right it was fuse 75. Problem now is that I have replaced the fuse a couple of times and just keeps popping - heyho!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Mparry, I would first try unplugging the A/C module and seeing if that fixes anything. unfortunately, you are looking at 4 potential problems here. In short, you can have a problem in:
-A/C control unit
-Active security sounder
-MIrror fold flat functions
-interconnecting wiring

With that being said, have you done any maintenance to the car recently, specifically in the cab? Have you removed any plastic trim pieces? This would be a good place to start.

Next, when the fuse pops, is there anything you are doing like just starting up the car or trying to move the steering column or something like that? Please let me know as this may prove critical.

I would first start with the active security sounder. That is a pretty easy thing to remove from the circuit. Next try unplugging the fold flat module (if you need the location, let me know). Again, a single plug.

By this point, you should have all 3 of the major devices unplugged. If the fuse is still blowing, then you have a problem with the interconnecting wiring. Personally, drop the car off at a shop and let them figure it out. They have some pretty whiz-bang gizmos that helps them find a problem like that in no time. They are more expensive than the average joe is willing to spend. But, if you can unplug a device and your short problem goes away, then you know the component that is bad, let me know and we can take the problem from there.