X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future collectability ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Future collectability ???

I own a Jaguar X Type 3.0 and i love the car, i like the way it looks and handles..to me it enbodies the feeling of elegance, sexiness, classy yet sport performance....and i want to start collecting a few cars on being this jag...does anyone think these caers will ever be collectable in any way? i dont plan on selling my car and just restore it and keep looking all clean...what do u guys think?????

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I think that the xtype has the classic look and that classic look will become very collectible in the future because the new jags have ditched their old classic look. With that being said, I think the xtype could become a collectors item, yet because they were built on the ford mondeo chassis, I would say that you have better luck with a classic xj8 becoming a collectors item. The xtype will still have that classic look that will be lost in the jaguar name, but the xj8 and xjr (especially after 2004) are sort of the perfect representation of that classic jaguar look in my mind.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  19.3 KB

Personally, I love the X type and yes it is classy and sexy at the same time imo.

As for it being collectible? I don't think that will be the case tbh, I'd still keep it and enjoy it for what it is, a beautiful Jaguar motor car.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Yea...its all good ima keep it clean and running smooth ....I love the x type hopefully she treat me right

Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO I do think that this car has good potential to be collectable in the future.

#1: Not many of them are around now; as time goes by many have and will end up in junkyards because of people neglecting the infamous transfer car. I asked my local Jaguar mechanic at an independent shop and he says he was surprised to see my X Type because he said "not many of em are on the road anymore".

#2: This was Jaguar's first attempt at an AWD car. This car will remain famous in Jag's history because of this.

So even though it may not be the most desirable car to some, it will have rarity in the future that will surely attract collectors. And this car has quite a story behind it. Plus it's an extremely gorgeous car that has and will age beautifully.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It won't be a collectible, ever. There's nothing special about it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM

there's Chevrolets out there going for $60,000-$150,000 on Mecum auto action that originally sold for $3,000-$5,000 out of the factory new..guys like Wayna Carini talk about how the number of cars sold and amount produced plays a part in the collectability as well as factory upgrades ...the x type was only made between 01-09 and not many were sold...idk im talking like 30-40 years from now....

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>and not many were sold...

Sorry, but I understand that the X-Type was the biggest selling Jaguar of all time (i.e., more X-Types sold than any other distinct model).
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by pab
>and not many were sold...

Sorry, but I understand that the X-Type was the biggest selling Jaguar of all time (i.e., more X-Types sold than any other distinct model).
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
But they over estimated sales I read the didn't even sell half of the projected goal they set..I think one year they only sold around 10,000..idk..I love that car

Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think cars become collectable when 16 year olds eventually get rich and fat and buy cars to remind them of their youth. Look at muscle cars...no brakes, no handling, gas guzzling engines, and vinyl interiors but that’s where the guys who buy them on Barrett first got laid. I don't think 16 year olds ever coveted the X Type so they won't become collectable, but they're great cars.

Last edited by Tony_H; 08-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ttotired (02-21-2022)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 AM

I think it very well could, on two points: the last of a classic styling,as Disguay pointed out; and the first Jaguar with AWD (and the only one designed with AWD from the get-go, rather than as an optional addon to existing models).

While some find it cool to diss these cars because of the Mondeo association, its even more cool to naysay the naysayers and extoll its virtues...It will become the cognoscenti sleeper, the hidden treasure, and will be a collectible for the unbearably hip of the next generation

As for Tony_H's post, I dont think 16 year olds of the type you describe ever coveted any kind of Jaguars to begin with, so the marque isnt really their style. But there are those who love Jaguars and collect them, so the question really is -- is this a collectible Jag if youre a Jag collector? I think it will be.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Argue the matter all you want, but being the first and only AWD Jaguar produced isn't going to be enough "novelty" to bring it to collectible status. There's nothing else special about it. Nothing groundbreaking at the time it was produced.

If you want examples of modern collectibles that were popular from the get-go lets talk about something like the Acura NSX or the Mercedes 190E.

Even cars that are still popular today such as the BMW E34, E38, E30 wouldn't necessarily be classified as collectible. And those cars were so much better received than the X-Type.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Today's Flops, Tomorrow's Collectibles - MSN Autos

At least somebody thinks it will be!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

While I was dissuaded by the X-Types story, I have met Jaguar collectors
whose X-Type shares its garage with an E-Type. But this case is exceedingly
rare. The purists who love "Classic Jaguar styling" love "Classic Jaguar engineering"
meaning, the Jaguar engines, and the Jaguar pedigree. Classic nameplates like
"XJ", and XK. Even the S-Type had the pure-bred Jaguar V8s, and yet were
frowned upon by the snobs for its styling, or perhaps its Ford-shared platform.

I am sure that an AWD, manual X-Type 3.0 Sportwagonwould have value to the practical (and very loyal) Jaguar enthusiast, I am sure that in 10 or even 40
years time, the Jaguar-ness is what will be sought after. There are plenty of
'03 XJ8 drivers who say their car is the last "true Jag", and plenty of people
in '08s who say the same. Only time will tell... and as far as the Lyons thing
goes, The X-Type was designed by Geoff Lawson, the man who designed
the XK-series and the 1995-03 XJ shape. So the design school of thught is
the same. Ian Callum had only minor input on X-Type production models.

As far as collectibility goes, I don't really expect the car to fare well at all.
Even the ever-beautiful XK-Series from 15 years ago has suffered from
a depressing drop in value. A decent specimen can be had of any 10-15
year old Jag for 10% of original price. The best we can hope for, even for
XJR-100s, is milder depreciation. Seeing as how the X-Type was dynamically
disadvantaged against the rest of the range, and had a Ford engine,

(rather than a Jaguar-designed one), I am afraid the collectors will overlook
the X-Type. Even Victory Editions, and R-100s aren't very collectible. And the
X-Type didn't even get a standard R variant. And most people think that it, and
its bigger brother, the S-Type, were in the shadow of the flagship XJ.

Needless to say, even the XJ range lost its snob appeal with the '04
redesign. Too dictated by science, and Ian Callum's view of idyllic correctness.
Rather than Geoff Lawson's view of "Correctness" as set forth by the original
Jaguar saloons.

Final note on rarity: Jaguar production peaked in 2002, at over 60,000 units.
Most were S-Types and X-Types. For comparison, the XK series sold 11,000
the year before. The S-Type sold around 20k.

Ian

Last edited by Ipc838; 08-02-2012 at 02:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
norumba (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Thanks for all the responces..I feel like I know my car a lil better...at the end of the day I love the car and ima hold on to for sure..but I was thinking of buying a BMW or Porsche next but i think im going to get a classic more collectible and more British breed car next...research time

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Love my X-Type and believe it's one of the best cars I've owned. However, because of ignorance, the car never received favorable reviews and is included in a couple of lists as one of the bigger automotive failures. We obviously don't agree, but sadly I think that plays a big factor in current resale value and longterm collectability hopes.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM

IMHO it most likely will not be a collectors favorite in the future.

Like someone has already said, An XJ8 specifically XJR from 98-2003
IMO they are the true classic jaguar combined with unexpected power
from such a classic body style.

Last edited by ZillA; 08-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by norumba
As for Tony_H's post, I dont think 16 year olds of the type you describe ever coveted any kind of Jaguars to begin with, so the marque isnt really their style. But there are those who love Jaguars and collect them, so the question really is -- is this a collectible Jag if youre a Jag collector? I think it will be.
You're right. In that case it was 18 year old WW2 fighter pilots that served in Europe.

My point is who, 20 years from now, is going to covet an X Type because it reminds them of the past (today)? I don't think that the professionals who lease these cars new will have any such asperations.

Last edited by Tony_H; 08-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ianclements

...I am sure that an AWD, manual X-Type 3.0 Sportwagonwould have value to the practical (and very loyal) Jaguar enthusiast, I am sure that in 10 or even 40
years time, the Jaguar-ness is what will be sought after. There are plenty of
'03 XJ8 drivers who say their car is the last "true Jag", and plenty of people
in '08s who say the same. Only time will tell... and as far as the Lyons thing
goes, The X-Type was designed by Geoff Lawson, the man who designed
the XK-series and the 1995-03 XJ shape. So the design school of thught is
the same. Ian Callum had only minor input on X-Type production models.

As far as collectibility goes, I don't really expect the car to fare well at all.
year old Jag for 10% of original price. The best we can hope for, even for
XJR-100s, is milder depreciation. Seeing as how the X-Type was dynamically
disadvantaged against the rest of the range, and had a Ford engine,

(rather than a Jaguar-designed one), I am afraid the collectors will overlook
the X-Type. Even Victory Editions, and R-100s aren't very collectible. And the
X-Type didn't even get a standard R variant. And most people think that it, and
its bigger brother, the S-Type, were in the shadow of the flagship XJ.

Needless to say, even the XJ range lost its snob appeal with the '04
redesign. Too dictated by science, and Ian Callum's view of idyllic correctness.
Rather than Geoff Lawson's view of "Correctness" as set forth by the original
Jaguar saloons. ...

Ian
Ian, thanks for sharing your assessment, thats some great insight and observation. I do agree that its "Jaguarness" and it being the last model under the Geoff Lawson hand (Callum only did the Xtype 's sportwagon back end in 2004) could give it some appeal down the road. Whether that's enough to make it collectible, only time will tell,as tou say, but I think its an interesting "collector-freindly" factoid.

Originally Posted by ianclements
year old Jag for 10% of original price.
That s interesting too, but the flip side is that this could be a good time to buy them Its unlikely that they'll depreciate much further than they already have, and depending on how much repairs it needs, at the very least you'll have a car you love -- and who knows, they may appreciate in another 10 years. I almost went this route for my first Jaguar, but I need a reliable daily driver, not a tinkering project/possible investment. As a secondary vehicle, though , I'll keep my eyes out in a year or two. I dpont see how you can go wrong if you buy one in reasonable shape at a right price.

Originally Posted by Tony_H
You're right. In that case it was 18 year old WW2 fighter pilots that served in Europe.

My point is who, 20 years from now, is going to covet an X Type because it reminds them of the past (today)? I don't think that the professionals who lease these cars new will have any such asperations.
True enough, i just think there are other factors in collecting a car than reclaiming your past. Thats not the only motivator. I have no desire to go and find the 66 Dodge Polara of my high school days, lol.

If I had the means, I'd be collecting Jags, because Im in love with the marque for no real explicable reason other than i love the aesthetics, the story, the performance. And whats more odd is that I've never really loved cars until quite recently...

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Im in love with the marque for no real explicable reason other than i love the aesthetics

Plus there's the thing that I like above everything else. And that is:

When ever a Jaguar arrives people NOTICE.

And you can't say that about BMWs, Audi, or Benz (although people will think that somebody pretty important is arriving when a big S Class drives up).

But really, what are the cars that people oo and ah over? I think it's a pretty short list: Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari (plus the other Italian supers) and Jaguars.

Tru dat
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Quick Reply: Future collectability ???