X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearbox failure, Engine systems failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox failure, Engine systems failure

Hi everyone, I've not been on in a while because alls been well. That changed over the weekend though as twice I got the two messages above. This happened once before over two months ago, and in each case the car seems fine after i shut it off and restart it. I am worried now though because it happend twice this weekend. It only seems to happen after waiting at a stop light for a while and then moving off. The car flashes those messages, and then seems to be in a weak limp mode, with some bucking. The second time in happened this weekend the check engine light came on and stayed on the rest of the day. Since Sunday, the light has gone, and all seems normal again. I have not had time to get the codes pulled.

I have searched this site for past "gearbox failures" and "engine systems failure" message posts, and it seems likely that my transmission may be the culprit. I was just posting now to see if there's anything else it might be, and wondering if there was any follow up from the guys that posted in those prior threads. Thanks.

edit: I ahve an 02 xtype, auto. Was at the dealer 6 months ago. replaced the jgate and some vacuum lines and breather hose.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: gearbox failure, Engine systems failure

post codes so we can assist you

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

codes and mileage would be verry helful

Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

dont jump to any conclusions, it could be an easy fix.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly don't jump to conclusions. I had similar problems and when my 3rd party mechanic ran the codes -- it ended up being the mass air flow sensor. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM

bet it's the crankcase hose. remove the plastic cover and right in front of you is a black hose, probably has hole in it,remove and replace.auto zone, pep boys , anybody that has vacum hose, also add clamps, jag didn't think you need them, you do, then clear codes, have a great day, hope this helps, Bill

Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM

If i'm not mistaken I believe ShaguarNYC already took care of that infamous hose.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM

I had a similar porblem not to long ago with the same messages and it turned out to be my throttle body. If it is your throttle bodyI hope you have atleast select edition warrenty because the throttle body costs well over $1000.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM

thanks everyone.

Yep, i already changed that hose on my last visit to the dealer. I think I mentioned it in the original post as being the "breather hose" lol, I'm not too precise with the part names. The message I used to get for that was the dreaded "cruise not available" and the check engine light. So glad those days are gone! Thats why I was able to compare the limp mode I got then to the limp mode I got last week and conclude that this time it felt like a "weak limp mode" because compared to then, this limp mode feels even more restricted, and had some bucking.

I still dont have the codes yet. I'll get them this weekend. The car has been normal all week, thank God, but I am not resting easy knowing that it can pop up again.

mass airflow or throttle body would be good news, as opposed to transmission! So, fingers crossed . . .

As for mileage, 85k on it now. Is in top condition though, inside out, top to bottom (even underneath is pristine! seen it on the lift a few times).

Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My gearbox failures lead me to replace my throttle body. I had originally changed the Trans oil at the dealer because the previous owner changed it as well andhad used ATF fluid. The TB did resolve my issue though...I just can't remember the codes it was putting out.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sad part of this, that I find when going into a dealership, is they go with the most expensive solution (whether going through warranty or not) - that is why this forum is so valuable. Could it be that it was notyour throttle body, but just the hoses that they changed anyways? You could check the parts list on your invoice to see if the changed the hoses, at least that will tell you if your dealership is honest.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: canman

The sad part of this, that I find when going into a dealership, is they go with the most expensive solution (whether going through warranty or not) - that is why this forum is so valuable. Could it be that it was notyour throttle body, but just the hoses that they changed anyways? You could check the parts list on your invoice to see if the changed the hoses, at least that will tell you if your dealership is honest.
I went to Manhattan Jaguar, and I think they fixed the problem that I had, based on the codes the car was putting out. My current trouble is feeling very different, so I'm not sure that they are related.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Okay everyone, I went to my third party mechanic (who I've been using for over a decade). He pulled the following code:

P0121 Throttle Pedal Position, Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit
Range Performance

He said he could do the work, but he'd have to call in one of two guys he knows who can program the computer to work with it. Or, I could go to the dealer. To be frank, the dealer is not a very convenient option considering that it is in midtown manhattan, but I do like the sense that they will do a thorough and clean job. I am leaning towards taking it to the dealer, and have them sort out my squeaking suspension while they're at it. Plus, I want them to give the AC ducts the heavy duty Jaguar cleanse.