X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gearbox Fault

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on jaguarforums. In advance I just want to say that I don't have much knowledge about cars in general. Any help is greatly appreciated, especially if put into layman's terms so a guy like me can understand lol. My car is a 2005 Jaguar Xtype V6 3.0 liter with AWD.

Here's my problem:

I've had the car for about a year now and have driven it roughly 10,000 miles (117k-127k) in that time span. I've tried my best to perform regular maintenance on it, knowing that used luxury cars aren't always the most reliable if not taken care of. Only problems I've had have been tire related, the usual shaking on the highway between 50-85mph, and having to replace a cracked hose that caused coolant to explode everywhere under the hood. From time to time the battery light has came and went on the dashboard as well as the check engine light, albeit far less than the battery light. I've had the battery tested in the past and no problems were found, so I didn't think too much of it.

Now after a long summer in which I was out of town, and my car was rarely used, it is having trouble starting up, and the GEARBOX FAULT indicator comes up on the panel. I've done some research on the topic in these forums, but it looks like it could be a multitude of different things, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, giving the details I provide.

It is not paired with the Cruise Control message, although the cruise control does not work from time to time. When I try and start the car, it takes more than a couple seconds to turn over, and when it does, nothing operates, yet the engine runs. After revving the engine for a bit, everything turns on all of a sudden, but sometimes the car seems to operate in a lower gear when driving, especially when in drive, yet not reverse, which I find odd.. The radio will cut out from time to time, as well as the AC, and the ABS and power break lights flicker on and off on the dashboard. Also, the windows roll up very slowly and the car won't respond to my key fob when I try and lock it from the exterior. After I drive it, then try and start the car again in a short amount of time, it doesn't respond at all.

From what I've gathered from previous threads, it could be water related. I am located in Phoenix, AZ and with temperatures up to 120 degrees this summer, I find that kind of hard to believe. Although I do take it to the car wash often and have a sun/moon roof which doesn't close all the way.. I have read about cleaning/waterproofing the TCM as well as replacing the windshield if there happens to be water getting inside the car. I hope it is one of these because funds are low at the moment, and those options don't seem too expensive to take care of. With that being said, I've also read about having to replace the battery/computer/alternator as well. I would like to not blindly start replacing everything possible that could be the issue, and hope someone responds here and is able to point me in the right direction, whether it being from a previous post/thread or from personal experience.. Thank you for reading, and any input at all is greatly appreciated!! I will gladly attach pictures if needed.

P.S.- I had the codes ran and the ones that came up were P1111 and P0442.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Do you have any problems at all in the J Gate engaging the appropriate gear with illumination centered on the appropriate selected gear (i.e. D, 3, 2, R, etc.)?

The P1111 means all checks completed (P1000 means some not yet completed), P0442 is a small evap leak. Nearly everyone will tell you gas cap - it is RARELY the gas cap. It really is more of a nuisance than anything as it doesn't affect the car's performance. I got tired of chasing it and carry an OBD in the lower center glovebox and just clear it when it pops up (ALWAYS when stationery idling for several minutes like bank or fast food drive through, not lights, etc. under normal driving).

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 09-11-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

those symptoms make me think either bad battery or battery cables.
if the battery is over 3-4 yrs old i would start with replacing that

Old 08-29-2023, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Hatcher
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on jaguarforums. In advance I just want to say that I don't have much knowledge about cars in general. Any help is greatly appreciated, especially if put into layman's terms so a guy like me can understand lol. My car is a 2005 Jaguar Xtype V6 3.0 liter with AWD.

Here's my problem:

I've had the car for about a year now and have driven it roughly 10,000 miles (117k-127k) in that time span. I've tried my best to perform regular maintenance on it, knowing that used luxury cars aren't always the most reliable if not taken care of. Only problems I've had have been tire related, the usual shaking on the highway between 50-85mph, and having to replace a cracked hose that caused coolant to explode everywhere under the hood. From time to time the battery light has came and went on the dashboard as well as the check engine light, albeit far less than the battery light. I've had the battery tested in the past and no problems were found, so I didn't think too much of it.

Now after a long summer in which I was out of town, and my car was rarely used, it is having trouble starting up, and the GEARBOX FAULT indicator comes up on the panel. I've done some research on the topic in these forums, but it looks like it could be a multitude of different things, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, giving the details I provide.

It is not paired with the Cruise Control message, although the cruise control does not work from time to time. When I try and start the car, it takes more than a couple seconds to turn over, and when it does, nothing operates, yet the engine runs. After revving the engine for a bit, everything turns on all of a sudden, but sometimes the car seems to operate in a lower gear when driving, especially when in drive, yet not reverse, which I find odd.. The radio will cut out from time to time, as well as the AC, and the ABS and power break lights flicker on and off on the dashboard. Also, the windows roll up very slowly and the car won't respond to my key fob when I try and lock it from the exterior. After I drive it, then try and start the car again in a short amount of time, it doesn't respond at all.

From what I've gathered from previous threads, it could be water related. I am located in Phoenix, AZ and with temperatures up to 120 degrees this summer, I find that kind of hard to believe. Although I do take it to the car wash often and have a sun/moon roof which doesn't close all the way.. I have read about cleaning/waterproofing the TCM as well as replacing the windshield if there happens to be water getting inside the car. I hope it is one of these because funds are low at the moment, and those options don't seem too expensive to take care of. With that being said, I've also read about having to replace the battery/computer/alternator as well. I would like to not blindly start replacing everything possible that could be the issue, and hope someone responds here and is able to point me in the right direction, whether it being from a previous post/thread or from personal experience.. Thank you for reading, and any input at all is greatly appreciated!! I will gladly attach pictures if needed.

P.S.- I had the codes ran and the ones that came up were P1111 and P0442.

My 2004 X-type AWD 3.0 gets the gearbox fault when my battery is wearing out and the voltage is not what is should be. Its happened twice over the years. My TCM and ECM seem to be OK - no codes for them and TCM is dry for sure.