Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Problem.

Hi all

I have a x-type 2.2d sport with 6 speed box.. I have a near side driveshaft that needs changing but whilst under the car I noticed that where the driveshaft goes in to the box, it has a lot of play - it's pretty obvious that the bearing that the bearing the splineshaft goes through that's in the gearbox casing is shot... my question is two fold. what's the actual name of that bearing and is it something I can do without taking the box off?

thanks in advance

regards

Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

del

Last edited by car5car; 03-22-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
Bad bearing would make noise. Replace axle and drive. Check oil level.
hi thanks for the reply

the CV joint next the gearbox has play in it, and the part that slots into that moves around a lot - I can tell it's the bearing. Also, I forgot to mention there's oil coming out from there. I'm pretty sure that bearing is nackard. I can hear a slight whine which sounds kind of like a gearbox that has the straight cut gears in it like you'd find in a racing gearbox.

Regards

Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Ignore car5car, he knows so little about these cars and loves popping off. Because terminology is different from U.S. To Europe, he doesn't even know what near side means.

The "drivers" side for you is particularly problematic because you CANNOT just pull the shaft out as on the left side (or both on most any other car). If you try, you will damage interior components and then you really will be in a fix.

Do a search in this forum for procedures, the special tool needed work around to separate the axles, etc. Do plenty of reading before diving in.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Ignore car5car, he knows so little about these cars and loves popping off. Because terminology is different from U.S. To Europe, he doesn't even know what near side means.

The "drivers" side for you is particularly problematic because you CANNOT just pull the shaft out as on the left side (or both on most any other car). If you try, you will damage interior components and then you really will be in a fix.

Do a search in this forum for procedures, the special tool needed work around to separate the axles, etc. Do plenty of reading before diving in.
lol I figured that.... but his effort to help is appreciated all the same. Anyway... all I really need to know is if the bearing that's in the gearbox casing (It's where the splineshaft goes through as I'm sure you know) is removable from the outside. If you can let me know here and save me having to search, it would be a massive help because I don't know the technical name for it, hench I've started this thread lol

thanks for the advice

regards

Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts