X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got engine light today

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Got engine light today

when I went out this AM I got about a 1/4 mile from house and a icon lite up on the dash a red circle with a ! in the middle. According to manual it is a engine trouble or transmission trouble code. However after I stopped to go to the store and came back out, I started engine and no icon. It has been like that all day. Must have started car 6 or 7 times and no icon. Any ideas? Also my headlights are screwed up again the right one is either too low or the left one is too high. Now I don't see them cycle either when I turn them on. This sounds like an expensive fix.

Medical news. I have a mild lymphoma. Still need so more medical test to see how mild and what lymphoma it is. Oh well **** happens then you die.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't have tire pressure sensors do you as a circile with the ! is what comes on when my tire is low in my work Ford PU?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

engine light is yellow, and in the shape of an engine...... this is not an engine light. Have you checked your owners manual?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
when I went out this AM I got about a 1/4 mile from house and a icon lite up on the dash a red circle with a ! in the middle. According to manual it is a engine trouble or transmission trouble code. However after I stopped to go to the store and came back out, I started engine and no icon. It has been like that all day. Must have started car 6 or 7 times and no icon. Any ideas? Also my headlights are screwed up again the right one is either too low or the left one is too high. Now I don't see them cycle either when I turn them on. This sounds like an expensive fix.

Medical news. I have a mild lymphoma. Still need so more medical test to see how mild and what lymphoma it is. Oh well **** happens then you die.
On your head lights you can make minor adjustments using an allen wrench to level them if they aren't to far off. My left light quit cycling at start up maybe 2 years ago. I simply manually set it and it has stayed where I set it. The right side still does the cycling check as it's designed to do. I'm not about to worry about the left one as long as it stays put. The permanent positioning of the left light just makes it like most other cars.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Smile Engine Light

Originally Posted by sport30
engine light is yellow, and in the shape of an engine...... this is not an engine light. Have you checked your owners manual?
Yes I did check the manual and it said this icon is engine and or transmission problems. As I said I drove the rest of the day and it didn't come on again. Is an puzzlement.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Smile Headlights

Originally Posted by Green Machine
On your head lights you can make minor adjustments using an allen wrench to level them if they aren't to far off. My left light quit cycling at start up maybe 2 years ago. I simply manually set it and it has stayed where I set it. The right side still does the cycling check as it's designed to do. I'm not about to worry about the left one as long as it stays put. The permanent positioning of the left light just makes it like most other cars.
I tried to adjust the headlights yesterday, I used the white screw that is recessed into the smash panel the one over the headlight as there is one over the high beam. I could not get the headlight on the right side to move up or down. Also, I noticed as it was getting dark. The left headlight is high as well as the left high beam and the the opposite for the right side, both headlight and high beam are low. Or as I wrote originally, either the right is to low or the left is too high. I tried to adjust the left side down and I could not get either the headlight or high beam to move. I did not turn the screw very much perhaps a 1/2 turn either way. Is a puzzlement.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 AM

No, thank God, I do not have tire pressure sensors. As I said the manual indicated engine and or transmission problem

Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried to adjust the headlights yesterday, I used the white screw that is recessed into the smash panel the one over the headlight as there is one over the high beam. I could not get the headlight on the right side to move up or down. Also, I noticed as it was getting dark. The left headlight is high as well as the left high beam and the the opposite for the right side, both headlight and high beam are low. Or as I wrote originally, either the right is to low or the left is too high. I tried to adjust the left side down and I could not get either the headlight or high beam to move. I did not turn the screw very much perhaps a 1/2 turn either way. Is a puzzlement.
Half a turn of the adjustment screw isn't going to make any difference. You've gotta make several full turns if its pointing very high or low to get it back into alignment.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

have that code read adam, it'll still be stored in the computer even if the light is off...any autoparts store will read them for free..write them all down, and come on back to your thread for a follow up. good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Smile Icon light

I went to Auto Zone today, as they will check dash icons for U for free. The code machine came back with a P1111 as the fault code. Auto Zone however did not have a Jaguar Date Base of codes. On some other makes this code was a intake air problem or O2 sensor. As I wrote earlier I have not have this icon come on again. As I wrote it was a read circle with a ! in the middle. The manual said this icon is either an engine or transmission problem. This AM I duplicated the the way I left the house the morning it came on. I was manually shifting the car. I did this today and as I wrote no icon. I think it was just an anomaly. I had Auto Zone clear the code and we will see what happens.

I even listened to the Ramones as I was that morning, I wanna be sedated..............

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 03-12-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

P1111 is not actually a trouble code, its a code that confirms all systems are ready and have completed their required drive cycles to operate and monitor. Basically, it should be there. If there wasn't any other code showing up, then the light you saw could not have been a check engine light, else that code would have stayed in memory. Check engine lights are unfortunately, never an anomaly.

My guess is that there was another code, and autozone didn't reattempt communications or scroll thru more than the P1111...and now that its been cleared, you won't know what it was until it happens again. Come back when it does I suppose...and come back with a valid P code.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 AM

Auto Zone did scroll thru the codes and no other code was found. just the P1111. My mechanic says on a Ford engine the P1111 is exactly what you said a everything is OK light. Probably something did not click and the light stayed on. As I said I have driven the car everyday since this happened and yes the light comes on when you start the engine but goes off quickly, just as it did before the incident. The P1111 is a valid code, but without the Jaguar data base they had to look at other cars and each had a different meaning for the code. On the Auto Zone scanner, Ford did not show this code at all. My mechanic couldn't understand that as it is a engine OK code. Yes your correct a check engine light is not a anomaly. But with this code I would call an anomaly.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

on mine that symbol turns on when the parking break is applied....

lymphona ehh, depending if its int ehs tomach you stand a 70-80% chance of a fully recovery....if it hasnt affect your b-cells yet

Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

That Icon is for the transmission on the cars that only have a odomter and not a driver info screen. If you can't adjust the headlights then the adjuster in the lamp may be broken a common problem on the x-types and the S-types. The Autozone scaner will not reat trans codes unless they are stored in the engine control module. The P1111 code is just telling that all the redyness tests have passed.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

check engine / drivetrain light = YELLOW + shape of engine.

Your light was RED + cirlce with exclamation mark.

So you did not have a check engine light, you had some other warning light..... hence why I said look in the manual.

Am I missing something here?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is what the manual says about the light:

Powertrain malfunction
Illuminates when there is an engine
malfunction or transmission system
malfunction.
If a message centre is fitted the light will
not illuminate but instead a message will
be displayed

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Smile engine light

Originally Posted by sport30
check engine / drivetrain light = YELLOW + shape of engine.

Your light was RED + cirlce with exclamation mark.

So you did not have a check engine light, you had some other warning light..... hence why I said look in the manual.

Am I missing something here?
Yes U are missing something. I check the manual, I think I have stated this 3 times now.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Smile Engine Light

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Here is what the manual says about the light:

Powertrain malfunction
Illuminates when there is an engine
malfunction or transmission system
malfunction.
If a message centre is fitted the light will
not illuminate but instead a message will
be displayed

Yes this is what the manual says. word for word. My mechanic came over yesterday, he checked his Ford technical manuals and Jaguar Tech manual and he told me"don't worry about it, it is a everything is OK check light, if your car is not fitted with a display unit." I should him the my manual and he said, I don't know what to tell you according to everything I found it is what I said it was. How did he check the Jaguar Manual, he has a very expensive code checker that is WIFI and can check any code on any car made in the world.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

I got a icon lite up on the dash a red circle with a ! in the middle. According to manual it is a engine trouble or transmission trouble code.
Check engine light is YELLOW and in the shape of an engine....

your description above is NOT a check engine light.

Only the yellow engine shaped light will have codes that can be read by a generic code reader. This is why there was not anything for your local mechanic to see.
The dealer computer will be able to retrieve the faults for the red malfunction light.

for now I guess if the car is running OK - the common answer is to just ignore it.

However, I would not beleive in gremlins, it did come on for a reason......

Last edited by sport30; 03-14-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

maybe its a transmission overtemp warning light? Do the transfer cases ever give warnings such as this before they fail? I'm not that versed on the x-type mechanicals, but only know generally the drivetrain weaknesses.

Quick Reply: Got engine light today