X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys With HID fog conversions - What Bulb size to order??

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Guys With HID fog conversions - What Bulb size to order??

Ok I've given up on trying to get my fogs to match my factory HID's with blue halogen bulbs, i've been through about 3 sets and the bulbs dont last very long. So I've decided to just add an HID kit to the fogs and be done with it once and for all....

Now, for those with the kits, what bulb size did you order?? The fog uses an H1 bulb, but has that wierd holder base which it uses to set it into the back of the fog lamp, and the connector is attached to that. Is it me or is it basically converting the mounting base to a different bulb base?

Any size bulb out there that just mounts in the fog??

Also what color temp hid do you think will match the factory HID best?

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Guys With HID fog conversions - What Bulb size to order??

Your best bet is for the 4300k one...I don't understand what it is that you want otherwise...I'm pretty sure the bulb would go in just like any other bulb...I don't think the h1 hid kit I installed last night was any difference to the regular h1 bulb...surprised you had probs with these lights to begin with...you might also want to look for a yellow hid kit for the fogs...look here for my hids...these are 6k hids with sylvania silverstar fog bulbs so they are probably a little whiter than the stock sylvania halogens but you can't tell compared to the hids...
Link to mine...

Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I want to change the fog light bulbs to HID to match the factory HID in my headlights. I already have HID headlights from the factory. So what I'm looking for is the proper rebased HID bulb size to replace it. I know guys here have done it before.

If you have ever taken the fog light bulb out, it has a base that has a connector attached to it, which clamps into the back of the fog light, it has 3 tabs around the center, and a 90 degree angle it looks almost like a 9006 bulb if i had to guess. You twist this base 45 degrees and then pull it and the bulb out of the fog light. The actual H1 fog light slips into that base (with its single male tab), and then the whole thing goes back into the fog light and you twist 45 degrees to get it to lock. It's not like the headlights that use the wire spring clamp to hold the halogen H1 bulb in place. On a rebased HID Bulb there is no way its just going to have the metal tab on it to slide into the base to the factory halogen wire. They have the wires built into them to go to the HID Ballast. So I have to find an appropriate HID bulb base to replace that whole assembly. That's my issue. Or at least as best as I can explain it. I was thinking about yellow, I had yellow halogens in there for a while and it looked decent, but once again the aftermarket halogen bulbs seem to just not last in my fog lights.

Hope this makes more sense.

George

Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody solve this?? I have the exact same problem for my fog lights. I sent back the second HID Kit today. It matched my H1 for the low beams. The problem is the kits com all assembled. I may try ordering again and cut the HID light off the kit and using some JB Weld (putty) to surround the H1 bulb and the wiresat the metal baseand just cram it in to the existing fog light lens. Of' course I'd have to replace the entire lens after that if they went out. The dip beams were soooo much easier, you just put the new bulb assembly in and catch it with the wire clip.

I have pictures of the connectors but can't get them on here. The description above tho is pretty good.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I could help but I cannot even remember the fog lamps anymore...[&:]

Old 01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about to do this and I believe someonedid a nice write up on this. I believe he popped off the 9006 connector like androulakis said. Removed the h1 bulb and then drilled a hole out the back of the 9006 connector. This way the wire will go thru the 9006 connector and then just drop a bead of silicone on the backside so no moisture can get thru. After that just screw the 9006 into the foglight housing.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a forum search. There was a pretty good write-up that I based my installation on. I believe it was done by 310jag, but I could be wrong. It took me around 2 hours to complete.

The bulbs are H1's.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the second thread in the FAQ. It's a real bummer that I put the time into this and no one ever sees it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_45439/tm.htm

Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah man, it is one awesome post too! Funny thing is I went thru all of them, must have been my mistake...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

what year X-Type do you have?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I just did the HID conversion in the fog lights. I bought the kit that was a universal kit for the H1/H3/9005/9006/etc. What I ended up doing was taking the factory bulb base, drilling a hole through it and then sliding the connectors through the hole and then using some silicon to seal the base back up. Check out https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_91147/tm.htm. If you have any questions, this was written up by me. So, I can tell you step by step what needs to be done.

I went with 4300K bulbs. But, looking at the color of the bulbs (compared to the low beam headlights), the 4300K bulbs are a very little bit more yellow than the low beams. So, if you can find a set of 5000K HID bulbs, that should match your factory HID bulbs exactly. I am basing this off of my car. I bought mind used, so, it is possible the person before me put in different bulbs though too.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  6.0 KB

ORIGINAL: 310jag
It's the second thread in the FAQ. It's a real bummer that I put the time into this and no one ever sees it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_45439/tm.htm
How in Gods name can no one find it? Is anyone actually looking?
It is in the FAQ section called " X TYPE FAQ QUICK LINKS " under a thread titled plainly enough " definitive how to for HIDS in the fogs"..........It really and honestly can't be any simpler for anyone to find.
This took me hours n hours of researching / compiling to add all these posts under one banner and then name them all.
If you still can't find them, well.....Jeeeeeesh[&:]
It was a great write up 310, much appreciated, by all I'm sure

Jim

Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM

For some reaason my eye went directly to the link titled

headlights-bulbs-HIDS-all-posts-in-x-type-section

and I opened all those links in there...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  6.0 KB

You sound about as exasperated as I am frustrated Christo.....lol

Bear in mind that at present there are around 165 pages with 15 topics in each...thats 2475 topics with god knows how many pages n replies in each of them.
Thats why I tried to organise them as best I could to make it easier for all to find. There's a section like this in each and every section although the X is by far the biggest to date..

As previously stated...If there's any threads worthy of FAQdom please advise so that I can update as often as possible as this will hopefully help many more members in the future.

Cheers all

Jim