X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to choose between two x-types

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to choose between two x-types

After the disappointment of first x-type test drive. I keep searching and found two trade in x-type from different local dealers.

05 x-type (dark blue?)
120K KM on ODO, transfer case repaired with 1 year guarantee,
beige leather interior and its reconditioned looks nice.
replaced the hood latch (still remember why I am shopping for car now, failed hood latch while I was driving 100KM on highway.........)

04 x-type (Grey)
100K KM on ODO, 1 year power train guarantee, original transfer case covered by guarantee.
black leather interior (not as nice as the 05 one)
1 owner car, I am told all maintenance is up to date

both are standard, non sports, I checked both VIN, there is no accidents。

I like the 05 MY body color, interior, but higher price and more milage
I value the 04 MY for its low milage (20K for me it's about 2 years drive), 1 owner, lower price but I don't really like the color and interior.

and my main concern is the transfer case, 05 MY is already repaired/rebuild (with non OEM parts) and 04 MY is still having its original TC

maybe it's stupid to ask this question, but which TC is more reliable in your eyes?

given the TC is a "maintenance free" part so I assume dealer will not change the fluid for ever, if I go for the 04 MY, is it possible that damage is already done, and it's too late to take care of the TC?

apart from whining sound, what symptoms indicate the TC is dying? or it always play sudden death?

also is there any major improvement in 05 MY compare to 04 MY?

thoughts are really appreciated.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

If you don't like the color and interior now wait a few years and you'll really not like it.

If it were me, I'd try and negotiate a better price on the one you really like.

Keep the transfer case full of fluid and don't do dragster style starts and I think the transfer case should last no problem. Mine was growling pretty bad giving plenty of indications that the bearings in it were ready to fail.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive the 05 MY this afternoon, it has good handling, idle stable, clean engine bay no obvious sign of leakings, rust proof from 08-13, air condition may need a charge (it takes a while to feel some cold air)

It tunes out the beige leather interior does have its disadvantage, it's easy to get dirty and after 9 years, it's hard to clean up completely, the photos I was looking at, I guess were edited, and the car itself is actually black.

The interesting parts are,
The car doesn't come with summer/all season tires (it has winter tiers on it)
ODBII reads C1165, C1145, C1175
From his conversation with his colleague, that car is parking there collecting dust for a long time.....

The sales person doesn't open to price negotiation, not a single cent of the asking price, and gives me buck load of bs of how they repaired all problems (so ODB2 readings are not problems in his eyes) and how they compare the average market price bla bla bla

To be honest, at the asking price I wasn't expect bunch of error codes that need to be fixed, so anyway I will go to try the other 04 MY tomorrow afternoon, and will report back.