X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble finding AC Schrader Valve for purchase

Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Having trouble finding AC Schrader Valve for purchase

I broke my Low Port AC Valve and had to drain all the fluid out so my AC on my 05 Jaguar X type is just blowing out Hot air and summer is here already in TN. Does anyone know any site I can order this valve from it's nearly impossible to find because it's bigger than normal valves, The Specs are 8mm x 6g Core? I called Schrader International and they have the part but will only sell it to me if I order 200 dollars worth of valves and I clearly just need one. Also it seems pretty easy to put back on, I'm assuming I just screw back into the Low Port AC and fill it back up with a bottle of refrigerant but please do let me know if I am wrong with that also? I have attached a picture of what the old valve looks like but please any help ordering this piece would be awesome because it's 90 degrees all week in TN

Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

First it begs the question, How did it come to be removed and why?
You can search out and remove one from a junk vehicle but I doubt in the end that it would be a success.
My recommendation is shell out the hundred or so for a new hose assembly. Now, as to changing the hose and filling it with a bottle of Freon from the auto parts store. You might have some immediate success but in the long run you are permanently damaging the A/C system.
The system needs to be evacuated under a vacuum to remove moisture, the dryer needs to changed and then compressor oil needs to be added to system. After that the Freon is charged by installing a specific amount by weight. The spray cans can't do that.
If it were mine I would research a good A/C shop and have it repaired properly.

The following users liked this post:
CryptoCowboy 01 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
First it begs the question, How did it come to be removed and why?
You can search out and remove one from a junk vehicle but I doubt in the end that it would be a success.
My recommendation is shell out the hundred or so for a new hose assembly. Now, as to changing the hose and filling it with a bottle of Freon from the auto parts store. You might have some immediate success but in the long run you are permanently damaging the A/C system.
The system needs to be evacuated under a vacuum to remove moisture, the dryer needs to changed and then compressor oil needs to be added to system. After that the Freon is charged by installing a specific amount by weight. The spray cans can't do that.
If it were mine I would research a good A/C shop and have it repaired properly.

I had to take out the valve because when I was releasing freon from the small part because the PSI pressure was too high the vavle got stuck and in the process of trying to unjam it ut broke even more. So I just unscrewed it out after all the freon leaked out. I ordered a valve kit from Amazon with about 9 different valves to try but I saw that 8mm x 6G valve is the right size and it's in that kit. Do I really have to drain everything out before I put freon back in? I was only releasing pressure because I saw my PSI was too high the AC was working ok at the time just read if I did that and put the pressure at a good level the air would come out colder

Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

If the system has sat for more than an hour or two it has now got moisture. Condensation will occur in the system just due to temperature changes thru the day and night. If it has been open more than a few hours you have moisture. Not to mention the drier element will need changing. Plus how will you weigh the Freon so that the system is not overcharged. Over charge can do as much damage as running around with a undercharge.

The following users liked this post:
CryptoCowboy 01 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
If the system has sat for more than an hour or two it has now got moisture. Condensation will occur in the system just due to temperature changes thru the day and night. If it has been open more than a few hours you have moisture. Not to mention the drier element will need changing. Plus how will you weigh the Freon so that the system is not overcharged. Over charge can do as much damage as running around with a undercharge.

Well I figured I could tell how much I need to put in because this label on the engine tells me and the freon can I got has a gauge and how much is in the can but the moisture part of it does concern me because I put the cap back on but yes the valve has been out now for about 4 days

Old 05-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Nope, quit trying to short cut it and do it right. If you ask for help, it's wise to heed the experts here on what to do. Otherwise, what's the purpose?

https://www.getallparts.com/2005/Jag...re/p/FTT010864

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 05-22-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Nope, quit trying to short cut it and do it right. If you ask for help, it's wise to heed the experts here on what to do. Otherwise, what's the purpose?

Dude I'm just asking questions that's what forums are for, for learning I'm not short cutting anything if anything I'm taking the long way by trying to learn more about my car instead of just listening blindly or taking it to a shop and saying hey fix my problem.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 PM

@avern1 thanks for the advice man I think I am going to go to an AC shop once I get the valve delivered tomorrow. Also thanks for letting me know about the moister part I did some research and do need to get that all vacuumed out hope they dont charge too much for that

Old 05-23-2019, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Shouldn't cost very much for the evacuate-holdvacuum-refill part.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Labor costs are estimated between $176 and $222 depending on oil needed, refrigerant, etc. Any parts needed like a line, condenser, etc. would be additional cost.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey

Did want to give a heads up I was able to find the right Schrater valve for the car so did not have to purchase a whole new hose assembly. The kit cost 15 bucks on Amazon

Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by CryptoCowboy 01
Did want to give a heads up I was able to find the right Schrater valve for the car so did not have to purchase a whole new hose assembly. The kit cost 15 bucks on Amazon
So to give you a little more info. If you don't evac by pulling vaccuum the moisture in the system will ice and clog the system in addition to doing damage to the compressor. Your cap install does not help. once you pulled the valve out, you introduced the system to moisture. it sat in there for days. air from outside went in, then you capped it. undoubtedly you have moisture collected on the walls of the lines etc. there is not short way. you can youtube how to make your own vacuum pump from old fridge parts or find some joe blow shop that does it cheap. but really you need to pull vaccuum, add oil and freeon. and dryer...well it is compromised already. Just how it is.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jrenville
So to give you a little more info. If you don't evac by pulling vaccuum the moisture in the system will ice and clog the system in addition to doing damage to the compressor. Your cap install does not help. once you pulled the valve out, you introduced the system to moisture. it sat in there for days. air from outside went in, then you capped it. undoubtedly you have moisture collected on the walls of the lines etc. there is not short way. you can youtube how to make your own vacuum pump from old fridge parts or find some joe blow shop that does it cheap. but really you need to pull vaccuum, add oil and freeon. and dryer...well it is compromised already. Just how it is.
Yea I had to go to a shop to vaccum it out get the moisture out then changed the accumulator after doing both of those then I was able to recharge it with oil and freon.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Plus we all learned a few new things.