Head gasket replacement help needed

Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket replacement help needed

How can i change the head gasket on my 2002 2.5 v6 jaguar x type? Need help

Old 04-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The best thing for you to do is follow the link below to the "HowTo" section.
There you will find threads on engine overhaul. You can download a copy of the technical manual in PDF at the very bottom.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

If you encounter difficulties with removing something post a question before breaking the part. One in particular that is tricky is the brake booster line on the intake manifold. The trick is to press the plastic ring against the manifold to extract the pipe.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Default Head gasket

um i dont see anything about how to replace a broken head gasket

Old 04-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Replacing a head gasket is a very involved process. You will need to read the manuals, if you have no experience, to determine what is necessary to remove and replace the top of the engine.
Your going to remove the intake manifold, fuel injection system, camshafts and their drive chains, the front cover of the engine, the exhaust system and then the heads.
The easiest method is to drop the entire front sub-frame with the engine and transmission attached.
All of these things are covered in the tech manual, and in various segments of the How To section. If you have no mechanical experience it is going to require a great deal of studying. It is not a simple project.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

One other thought on the subject. If you are sure that the head gasket is bad, did it occur from OVERHEATING the engine. If it did you would probably be better off in the long run to look for a used engine and just swap out the engine.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
One other thought on the subject. If you are sure that the head gasket is bad, did it occur from OVERHEATING the engine. If it did you would probably be better off in the long run to look for a used engine and just swap out the engine.
its is over heating i used some sealent before and it worked for alittle while now i just put water in it constant

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM

how much for a engine and how much to install or is it easy to install\

Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Well the overheating is of course the major problem. How did you diagnose the overheating as a blown head gasket?
Is the oil level over the full mark on the dip stick?
Is the oil a milky white color?
Is there traces of oil in the cooling system reservoir?
Have you pressure tested the cooling system to determine if you have leaks?

Unless you have severely overheated the engine, I wouldn't assume head gasket as a starting point. Is there any engine noises? Like a valve rattling, or a knocking sound when running.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM

its loosing all of its coolant and its leaking it. also to change the gaskets do you have to pull the engine to change them ?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Prior to spending an awful lot of time and money, test the cooling system for leaks. After a cold-soak, preferably overnight, pressurise the system to 1 bar and search for the leak(s).

If you don't have a cooling system pressure tester, here is one that is relatively inexpensive compared with swapping engines and gearboxes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27PCS-Radia...rd!92626!US!-1

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You mentioned you had used a sealant prior. Where did you put the sealant? Where was it leaking and is it now leaking from there again? Also, you did not answer the question about how you know it is the head gasket? Is the oild a milkshake sort of color and consistency?

From your posts it might be best to have it professionally diagnosed.

avern1 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I went through this on my 04 already; It's involve a lots of time and labor, you'll need a second car to drive, but you probably can't afford to have the garage to do it for you; You don't need to remove the engine but almost every thing else: The intake manifold, all the electrical wires loom, upper radiator hose and coolant system, fuel system,valve covers, water pump, serpentine belt, alternator, all the pulleys, power steering pump, timing chains cover, timing chains and their tensioners and now you can remove cam shaft and sproket, then exhaust mnifolds, now you can remove the heads, make sure you order head gasket and head bolts, crank shaft seal and gaskets for timing chains cover; One thing I would advice up on reinstall the heads is: Some others said thighten the bolts spiral from out side in, I would say do otherwise tighten the bolts spiral from the in side out instead. Have fun!

Old 04-18-2018, 04:47 AM

I have not looked at a Jag X before ,but that seems to be overkill. Do you really need to remove timing chain, cam shaft etc after all its only a head Gasket

Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Thank you my friend

Old 04-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Btw the coolent plastic container has a crack that makes it spray when it overheats and im trying to take the top off to realease the pressure.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Also i think the gasket on cylinder 1 3 5 are bad because it having some missfires there

Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

The water spraying from a crack in the reservoir may be hitting the coils and when they get standing water in the wells for the plugs will cause a misfire. You need to replace the reservoir and then due a pressure test of the cooling system.
I would go ahead and remove the intake manifold and pull the coils and plugs. When you pump up the cooling system if the head gasket is leaking then it should fill the cylinder with water and you will be able to verify a bad head gasket. Also, when you pull the plugs if water has been leaking in the end of the plug will be nice and shiny from the steam cleaning it has been getting.
If the plugs are fuel soaked and dirty then odds are your leak is somewhere other than the head gasket.

And, to answer ROSKI's question. The engine is a dual overhead cam design with the cams on the top of the head. You have to remove the cams/ timing chains and the timing chain cover. Especially, since the cover is bolted to the face of the head.

NBCat (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Before venturing into removing substantial parts of the engine, has the cooling system been pressure tested?

Misfires can also be caused by a leaking cam cover gasket or spark plug boss seal. Oil getting onto the coil units causes them to short and thus the cylinder to misfire.

What is the condition of the engine oil? This question was also asked by avern1 in post 8 above.

avern1 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes Roskie and Jaguar XT, "it's only replace the head gasket after all"; But "after all" those were removed then you'll be able to remove the heads.
Here another opinion from me, if you don't want to rely on the manual: After remove the valve covers and timing chains cover, mark the relative positions of the chains and the cam sprockets and the crank shaft sprochet before removing them, that way when you reinstall them exact the way they were.

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 04-18-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add name
Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM

there is oil in one of my sparkplugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement help needed