X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight aiming situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight aiming situation?

Does anyone know how to fix the headlight aiming system? My headlights won't position after I stick my allen key in the adjuster, so I'm not entirely sure what I am supposed to do considering my headlights aren't aimed right at all o.O anyone know? It will be much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to help!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Unfortunately your adjuster is most likely broken (Plastic).
I’ve had 2 on my wife’s X-Type broken by techs untrained on Jaguars

Attached Thumbnails Headlight aiming situation?-imag0608.jpg   Headlight aiming situation?-imag0609.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 01-20-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where can you get replacements for these? i know on my old e39 5 series they were known for this and you could buy just the new adjuster pieces for cheap...

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 AM

There are no repair parts for the adjuster.
A new or used Headlamp assy is required.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 AM

Well it looks like some jb weld is in order to fix em, I know that stuff will probably make them stronger than when they were new

Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Does anyone know how you would attempt to makeshift fix them?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM

I'm going to fix mine today using jb weld, the stuff is like cement when hardens and is stronger than when the plastic is new.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I've seen the the listing below and think this might be an answer.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Checked the Ebay site and for the price, I would go with JB-Weld first.

I still have the old headlamp, I will experiment with JB Weld when I get back from my 4 month deployment.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by afstud
I'm going to fix mine today using jb weld, the stuff is like cement when hardens and is stronger than when the plastic is new.
Let us all know how this goes for you. I would like to try this if it works.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the $105 kit (it comes from Poland) and should be installing it in the next few weeks. I will also polish the lenses and install HID lights in the fogs while I have the front off. I have extracted all the forum info I can find on the subject and will have it in a MS Word file (with pictures when finished). Mikie

Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mikie's Cat
I bought the $105 kit (it comes from Poland) and should be installing it in the next few weeks. I will also polish the lenses and install HID lights in the fogs while I have the front off. I have extracted all the forum info I can find on the subject and will have it in a MS Word file (with pictures when finished). Mikie
Can you let me know if that actually fixes the headlight adjusters? I know it fixes the mounts, but I wasn't sure if it fixed the adjusters as well. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Thumbs up 04-Xtype...Does it fix the "adjusters"?

I bought an extra set of lights on e-bay with broken adjusters to play with before I tear the front off the Jag (at 73 the work is more important then the few bucks). The high and low beam adjusters work like this... The "hex head" piece is a gear that turns a fixed horizonal piece, also with a gear, and the front of this has a metal bolt thread (all of this stays on the housing, and is not part of the repair kit.)
If you click on the picture shown on the WEB site earlier you will see the pieces that come with the kit for one light. The two pieces with the metal ***** are what break. The screw mentioned earlier threads into these pieces and they slide in-and-out thereby moving the top of the light in and out. The square piece goes on the bottom low beam side thereby providing the piviot point (I think this is also the automatic beam leveler if you have the feature_) It's piece already has a metal ball and doesn't break. I have not figgured out how the horizonal adjustment is made.

This is a long winded way to say... yes it will fix the adjusters.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM

I bought an extra set of lights on e-bay with broken adjusters to play with before I tear the front off the Jag (at 73 the work is more important then the few bucks). The high and low beam adjusters work like this... The "hex head" piece is a gear that turns a fixed horizonal piece, also with a gear, and the front of this has a metal bolt thread (all of this stays on the housing, and is not part of the repair kit.)
If you click on the picture shown on the WEB site earlier you will see the pieces that come with the kit for one light. The two pieces with the metal ***** are what break. The screw mentioned earlier threads into these pieces and they slide in-and-out thereby moving the top of the light in and out. The square piece goes on the bottom low beam side thereby providing the piviot point (I think this is also the automatic beam leveler if you have the feature_) It's piece already has a metal ball and doesn't break. I have not figgured out how the horizonal adjustment is made.

This is a long winded way to say... yes it will fix the adjusters.
So let me get this straight. My apologies in advance, I've had an awfully long day at school. What you're saying is that the kit will fix the adjusters even if the adjuster is broken? Or should I buy the kit, and if that doesn't fix the actual hex adjusters then I should just JB Weld it as mentioned above? What would you recommend as a standpoint for saving money?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 AM

The kit is for the adjuster only, not the mounts.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM

04-X-TYPE... I'm not quite sure I understand what reyesl means by "mounts". Normally the adjusters fail where the sliding part snaps into a socket on the lens mount. If he means the hex and horizonal piece (that seldom fail) then the kit will not help, nore would JB Weld. here is a photo of what the JB looks like (from another post, hope I was able to copy/paste it). Your biggest work will be taking the front cover off (which is also described in another post).

Old 01-25-2012, 07:04 PM

04-X-TYPE... I'm not quite sure I understand what reyesl means by "mounts". Normally the adjusters fail where the sliding part snaps into a socket on the lens mount. If he means the hex and horizonal piece (that seldom fail) then the kit will not help, nore would JB Weld. here is a photo of what the JB looks like (from another post, hope I was able to copy/paste it). Your biggest work will be taking the front cover off (which is also described in another post).
Yeah, I know how to take the front cover off, but my question is this: The repair kit fixes the headlight assembly mounts. At least that is what I have been told o.O There are two adjusters for each headlight assembly, one for the high beam and one for the low beam. And the kit only comes with three pieces, so I'm not sure how it could fix the whole assembly. Thanks for responding btw

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM

The Headlamp is adjusted by moving one of the adjusters to align horizontally and the other adjuster to align vertically. They are not for individual lamps, if you have the Low Beams adjusted; the High Beams are adjusted also, at the same time. If you have the Dip HID Beams, they move up or down per mode chosen.

ADDED:
The Outer Adjuster is for verticle movement and the Inner Adjuster is for horizontal movement.

Autos that have separate high and low beams (not in the same assembly) are adjusted individually.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-29-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM

I have the front off of the x-type and have re-placed one adjuster kit (three pieces), the $105 kit has six pieces for two lights. The old plastic is brittle and is crumbled on all six headlight points. The new ones are of a rozen and have metal ends and interiors... should never break. I'm still trying to figgure out how the horizonal and verticle work The lens assembly is suspended from three contact points. The lower low beam side has a fixed (or movible for auto-leveling?) metal ball that fits into the oblong piece you get with the kit. Above it is the low beam adjuster with the gears, this is the longer of the two pieces with the metal ***** on them. The high beam gets the third piece with the crooki in it. I can see how the high beam side adjuster would mive the lights horizonally, and I see how the low beam side would move the low beam vertically, with the high beam side held in place, I see how it would move the the high beam also (my guess is there would be some verticle interplay).

04X-type, you might temporally fix the adjusters with JB Weld but not for long. The kit is the only way to go. It takes about four weeks to come from Poland. Can you tell me what you mean about "headlight assembly mount"? The only other thing I can see are the little lens alighnment pins that are next to the four retaining bolrs. I cant see how they would be a big loss.

reyes, thanks for the clarification. Can you tell me how to get the harnes plug open (with the red slide) so I can move the bumper out of the way? Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

The harnesses are just plugs, they should just pull apart. There is also a little thing that they clip over, just pull it over that clip and they should slide right apart. Thanks for the help!

The following users liked this post:
Mikie's Cat (01-28-2012)

Quick Reply: Headlight aiming situation?