X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight issues...new bulbs,ignighters and balasts all done

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlight issues...new bulbs,ignighters and balasts all done

weird issue here with the headlight low beams.
its a 2002xtype sport with stock HID dip beam auto leveling.

sometimes they work, sometimes 1 works, sometimes none work. i have replaced bulbs, ballasts, and ignighters so thats not the issue.

so lets start from basic to more technical, its not my car and the owners manuakl went MIA.
with the car off key not in the ignition is there a switch to turn the HID bulbs on?(outer 1 lights of the 4 fronts)
they have always just turned on as soon as the car is started no matter what the light is outside.
the DRL bulbs in the high beam housing are also always on
high beams work fine.

headlight relays... where are they and how many are there for the HID's? 1 relay for both headlights or 1 each?
im going to check the fuses but they work sometimes which means fuse is probably still good, but im going to go with the doubt and say hell maybe foe some frekishly odd reason its half blown even though i have never seen a half dead fuse.

so....now what do you guys and gals think?
any input is appreciated.
oh ya, i only have 24hrs to fix it cus my girls drivin my truck while i sort our her headlight issues...and i think she wants it back lol

Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM

**update - this cars electrical is dumb**
bought 2 new relays
bought fuse tester with mini fuse kit (dumb thing is the fuse tester is also a puller but only for the 1 size bigger fuses, not the minis it came with.

fuse panel under hood (Power Distribution Fuse Box)
tested all fuses (related fuses and non related), all check OK
bought new relay for R9 - DIP BEAM RELAY

CENTRAL JUNCTION FUSE BOX (in dash under steering area)
couldnt get the tester in there to be able to see the light properly so i just changed the fuses in F67 & F94
bought new relay for R15 - Main beam/front fog relay.

started the car..great all works. drove home.
started the car...NO LIGHTS...WTF??
started again...Passenger light ON driver light OFF...WTF??
off and on a couple more times only passenger light on.

anyone have any ideas????

also i noticed a small leak on the coolant tank so ill be patching that.
i dont know why im even considering it, but i saw a 04 jag x for slae with 130km on her black on black for 8 grand @ a dealer....

is there a halogen headlight housing for this car?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't really help you much as I haven't dealt at all with HIDs, but did you look above at the Owner's Handbook dowloads? At least you'd have the Owner's Handbook for some reference. I did see multiple fuses in there that might be connected to your issue too.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

MIke, the headlights for this car are both powered off of the same relay and the same wire when you look at the low beams. So, you know that your problem is not with the relay or anything back towards the dash of the vehicle. Because your problem is random in nature, I would be looking at the connectors inside the headlight housing and make sure that they are all in good condition. Any sort of corrosion can cause the headlights to act funny. Due to having HID bulbs, they are very voltage sensitive. So, if the voltage making it to the headlight housing is getting low (due to an internal resistance to the wiring), the HID ballast may not be able to get the light to start and therefore it will not light. If you want to do some voltage checks, let me know.

As for converting the car back to halogen lights, yes, you can do that, but you would have to buy new headlight housings. The HID ballasts are mounted inside the headlight housings. BUt, the plugs for the two styles of housings are the same. So, it is a simple plug and play change.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
MIke, the headlights for this car are both powered off of the same relay and the same wire when you look at the low beams. So, you know that your problem is not with the relay or anything back towards the dash of the vehicle. Because your problem is random in nature, I would be looking at the connectors inside the headlight housing and make sure that they are all in good condition. Any sort of corrosion can cause the headlights to act funny. Due to having HID bulbs, they are very voltage sensitive. So, if the voltage making it to the headlight housing is getting low (due to an internal resistance to the wiring), the HID ballast may not be able to get the light to start and therefore it will not light. If you want to do some voltage checks, let me know.

As for converting the car back to halogen lights, yes, you can do that, but you would have to buy new headlight housings. The HID ballasts are mounted inside the headlight housings. BUt, the plugs for the two styles of housings are the same. So, it is a simple plug and play change.
thanks thermo,
im going to do some voltage checking today. and i have to find the wiring diagram. if you know where it is located please post a link it would be appreciated.
ive changed the ballasts in this car before, (had to take the bumper off...PITA)

any suggestions where to start?

the seeker thanks i will download the owners manual.
it went MIA when we took it to get alignment...and they refuse to admit they have it but i know they do because i was reading it in the car that day.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM

what are the sensors in the dashboard air vents for???
are they lights, auto wipers, or neither???

im trying to locate the autoheadlight control module. if the low beams are not suppose to be on all the time then its obviously faulty, but its been like this for about 2 years, since my girl bought it.

ive extended my time to work on it by giving her my truck for the weekend. but she wants it back asap lol

Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 PM

update***
finally had drive side light fail.
pulled plug from ballast tested power in wires, check ok over 12 volts
plugged it back in bulb comes on.
i need it to fail 1 more time so i can test power into ignighter.
if it has power in but no power out then i think i have a faulty ignighter or bulb.
i dont think its the bulb. the ignighter is new but i think thats the next step.

wish me luck, and any tips appreciated.
also my volt meter can handle 8000v and is fused so it shouldnt explode testing the power out of the ballast. im going to look around i think i have a spare ignighter and bulb so that may be how i test it first.
but this still leaves the passenger side to the unknown, but it fails less often.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

Mike, I do not recommend testing the output of the igniter for the HIDs. That will hit 23,000 volts. Likely to do damage to your meter. if the bulb is not lighting, then it is not working. Granted, the 23,000 volts is only there for a second or two, but it is enough to damage a meter. After that it is only like 85 VDC.

Send me your e-mail addy. I will send you the diagrams that you are looking for. I think you will find lots of useful information with what I am sending.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:16 PM

hey thermo,
im thinking that the ballast blew again.
here is what i did to figure that out.
power in to ballast is there.
unplugging the plug into the ballast and plugging it back in the light will turn on 90%of the time in the first attempt.

means its either ballast, ignighter , bulb or wares between the ballast and the ignighter.

next time it failed i tried to get voltage from the ballast output but i couldnt figure out the 3 wires or there was no voltage or the voltmeter wouldnt contact the wires properly hard to tell.

so i unplugged it from the bulb and ignighter and plugged it in a spare bulb and ignighter i had that i know worked.---still nothing

next i swapped ignighters and bulbs in the car plugged it in...still nothing.

next unplugged harness into the ballast and plugged it back in...light came on.

so i figure the ballast is blown out again.

thermo im going to pm you my email. that info will be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Mike, it is sounding like your ballast is gone to me too. I have e-mailed you the diagrams. I think you will find it very informative.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettomike
hey thermo,
im thinking that the ballast blew again.
here is what i did to figure that out.
power in to ballast is there.
unplugging the plug into the ballast and plugging it back in the light will turn on 90%of the time in the first attempt.

means its either ballast, ignighter , bulb or wares between the ballast and the ignighter.

next time it failed i tried to get voltage from the ballast output but i couldnt figure out the 3 wires or there was no voltage or the voltmeter wouldnt contact the wires properly hard to tell.

so i unplugged it from the bulb and ignighter and plugged it in a spare bulb and ignighter i had that i know worked.---still nothing

next i swapped ignighters and bulbs in the car plugged it in...still nothing.

next unplugged harness into the ballast and plugged it back in...light came on.

so i figure the ballast is blown out again.

thermo im going to pm you my email. that info will be appreciated.
Could it be the switch? On the dash headlight switch? I know Mike is in Canada, the only time I need to touch the switch is for my dash lights, otherwise they are never off. Tail-lights included in Canada with the DRL rules the head and tail lights and marker liker lights etc are always on. The randomness of the issue and the fact is is either headlight would point towards the switch wouldn't it?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Sidewalk, the headlights are powered off of a common relay, even for the DRL models. The only difference really is that for a DRL model vehicle, the headlight switch is grounding the input of the relay, which is causing it to activate the headlights, leading to the low beams being on.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Thermo. Would it be possible to e-mail a wire diagram for the HID system on a mfg. 4/02. ,S Type with a 3.0 L ,5 speed ? Thank you. Catricks

Old 04-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran member

Catrick, PM me your e-mail addy and when I get home, I will send you the diagrams for your whole car. I am on travel and don't have the diagrams with me at the moment. I can get you the diagrams in about 2 weeks.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

You can download the diagrams from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yIjyvBYU5LTbyA

Have you checked the earth as it could be dodgy.

Roger

Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Hello Thermo. Thank you for the offer to send me the diagrams . I ordered a hella ballast from Hid-ha today as a test unit. I will keep you up to date on my progress . Thank you Catrick

Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Hello Rchiv I cleaned the ground connector as my first attempt. I have ordered a hella ballast as a test unit . I will keep you updated as the saga continues . Thank you for the reference of the diagrams . I should have started there first . Catricks

Old 05-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Hello Thermo! The ballast I ordered from HID/HA solved the headlight problem . Thank you for your guidance and offer to send me the wire diagrams . With the help of Rchiv I was able to find the diagrams that I needed . Catricks

Old 05-05-2017, 01:40 PM

Hello Rchiv ! The ballast I ordered from HID/Ha solved my headlight problem. Thank you for the reference of the wire diagram . That information is a great source of information! Catricks