Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Not Working On LH Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Headlight Not Working On LH Side

ORIGINAL: VinceWood30

I just replaced the headlight on my girlfriend's 2004 X-Type. I checked the fuse and it's ok. I put the voltmeter to the plug of the headlight and I'm not getting anything from it. The meter reads 0. Could it be a bad relay somewhere? Or maybe a bad plug? Any help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Vince

As silly as this may sound, but have you checked the bulb? Chances are, you're probably looking way too far into this and it's probably just that. Swap the bulb from the other side and see what happens. If you get the same result, then it's probably something you should look a little further into.

EDIT: I have a better idea! Just pick up an HID kit and then all your problems will be solved

Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: SpartanX
ORIGINAL: VinceWood30
I just replaced the headlight on my girlfriend's 2004 X-Type. I checked the fuse and it's ok. I put the voltmeter to the plug of the headlight and I'm not getting anything from it. The meter reads 0. Could it be a bad relay somewhere? Or maybe a bad plug? Any help I'd appreciate it.
ThanksVince
As silly as this may sound, but have you checked the bulb? Chances are, you're probably looking way too far into this and it's probably just that. Swap the bulb from the other side and see what happens. If you get the same result, then it's probably something you should look a little further into.

EDIT: I have a better idea! Just pick up an HID kit and then all your problems will be solved
Lol Spartan..........may not be a bad idea!

Jim

Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice idea indeed lol

Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Each headlight (high and low beam, left and right side) is separately fused. One relay controls both low beam headlights and a separate relay controls both high beam headlights. If at least one headlight works correctly, the associated relay is fine. Also, there are two connectors in each headlight circuit; the main connector to the headlight assembly and the connector at the lamp itself.

Vince and Brian, I would suggest you verify that the fuses are OK (by voltage measurement with respect to chassis ground at both sides of the fuse) then verify that both connectors are OK (by voltage measurement at each lamp connector. I would also inspect (i.e., disconnect and reseat) the main connector at the headlight assembly.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah good luck with that....welcome all by the way...and as they stated though go buy an hid kit and save yourself from having to get into the back of the headlight all the time. I replaced my headlights with sylvania silverstars with about 4 pairs before I said screw it and left it alone with the stock sylvania halogens...until I finally installed my hid kit...the whole kit only cost me $78.99 shipped...One bulb at the auto parts store is about $8-10 + tax for almost $80 you can have hids!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aquill1- An HID kit wont help if the headlight harness isn't getting any power. The HID bulbs need power to work too

That being said, I agree. If you are already putting that much time into playing with your headlights/wiring, why not upgrade? So far the best mod I've done to my X-type.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Tokay they said that they have replaced the bulbs before....thus me saying that they should get an hid kit is to fix that...read before you start preaching there bro...I'm not an idiot obviously if they aren't getting power the hid kit isn't going to fix it...[>:]DUH

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Actually the lights issue has been visited many times...use the search function and you'll find I bs-ed about it many times!

Yeah I had the same problems....put 2 different sets of sylvania's in my headlights they all burned up and than I had those replaced at advance auto and put them in my fogs said screw the lights....than later last spring I bought another set of sylvania's to give them a shot and no luck...again put a few different sets of silverstars in and no luck. The stock sylvania halogens never gave me any problems though...the filament on the inside of the bulb is thicker than all aftermarket ones even the silverstars...I've tried about 3 other brands of lights to no avail...your best bet seriously is to just get a set of hids...here's my HIDS I paid less than $80 shipped...they look great! Really good quality kit unlike what I thought I'd get...2 others have the same set...

Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

aren't HID 's illegal in some of your american states?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

No checking here in michigan...some states that have periodical tests that the cars have to pass they check for that...here in Michigan its probably the only thing we don't have...so I guess I'm lucky!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly it depends upon you...at the most if should only take 2 hours and thats about an hour and some longer than it took me and everything I do usually takes me forever...all you have to do is pull the back covers off...remove the clip holding the stock bulbs in the headlamp....take those back covers out because you need to cut/drill a hole for the wire to go through....once you've done that mount the hid in the bulb mount...before that though the brown wire is - and the yellow one is +. connect the 2 wires (+ and - to the 2 wires of the hid kit) and than put the cover on making sure the rubber plug is on the hole you cut out...once I did the drivers side it took all of 15 minutes to do the passenger's side...I'd recommend doing the drivers because you can move the battery box out of the way enough to get at the back of the light and figure out what your doing...than its easy doing the opposite side which is harder because of everything that is in your way. LINK TO KIT ON EBAY...
Your price might be a couple of bucks cheaper as his prices sometimes change...keep in mind my kit took 3 weeks to get to me...it was the chinese shippers fault but none the less it happened! The wait was worth it after I got the kit and it was a nice kit...the 2 others with the same kit only took like 5-6 days shipped to their door...