X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights n DRL info please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlights n DRL info please

hey all im trying to figure out if there is a underlying issue i need to fix to get these headlights working properly.
i just had my dads friend look at his Canadian licensed x type with stock halogen lows and only the DRLs come on during the day when it is started...his lows were off but drl on,

my gfs 02 with HID canadian vehicle has the DRL and low HIDs come on every time you start it(when they work lol)..only have used the headlight switch to turn on fog lights.

so im looking to get a feeler for where your car was made for and if your lows come on during the day when sunny out (do these cars have a daytime sensor??), when your DRLs come on and if you have HID or halogen...also cars year may help too...

i dont think the lows are suppose to come on but they have ever since she got the car.

thanks all.
also if anyone knows if it is suppose to turn on what lights that would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

you are making 2 big assumptions..

first that whatever lights you are calling DRLs are called DRLs by anyone else..... In canada DRL could be,
Low beams on all the time
special lights that are on when the car is running
full time fog lights..
ANY forward facing light that is visible from a distance. (parking lights dont count)

Second, on the X-type , I dont have a clue what lights you are talking about.

NOW:
Only the wiring diagram will tell you what is "supposed" to be on. It is readily available online. if you need it let me know. I will send you the one you need.

My '02 is wired from the factory to have the low beams on all the time, as DRLs.
There are also little bulbs inside the high beams lights .... some extra parking lights (since they are connected to the parking light circuit) that maight look like drls to you, but they fail to meet the criteria of being visible from a distance.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM

DRL is the small bulb inside the high beam housing(forward facing center lights no projectors)
High beams is the big bulb in the forward facing center lights (no projectors)
low beams are outer forward facing with projector
fog lights are the lower forward facing

Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jag doesn't run any DRLs. I think I read somewhere that your dealer could turn this on or off, if you desired it. Although, some districts require it of course. So, it may depend on where the car was first sold and/or someone may have taken it to a dealer and had it turned on by choice. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

the little light in the high beam, is not called, nor is it, a drl.
it is called a "citylight" in europe. They typically have different headlight switches that allow them to come on independently. They are also uses as front parking lights when you can turn on only one side. (the street side when parked, not the curb side)

Many manufacturers produce north american specific light and remove them. Since north americans are not familiar with them, they cause confusion. Jag left them there, and made a north american headlight switch that includes them in the parking light circuit.

in any case, for the Canadian '02 x-types, the low beams and the parking lights (which include the city lights) are jumpered together (with ignition power) inside the headlight switch.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Ghetto, I understand. Sounds like your gf's X is likely a US model.Here is my experience with a US spec '02 that was converted in the USA to have "DRLs". I have halogens (H1s). I was told it was simply a computer program adjustment at the dealer (they did it for free so it must have not been too complicated?). I do NOT use the dash dial for anything but fogs. Every time I start my X, the dip (low beams) come on, what we'll call the "citylights" come on, the rear lights come on as do both the front and rear side markers. Does this help?

PS I was told by a Jag Service Adviser, in Canada, that this "conversion" is what causes all the bulb holder melt downs with the H1 bulbs as the covers on the back of the housing retain heat and the DIPs were NOT meant to be on all the time. He didn't however elaborate on how DRLs are supposed to work. Then again, he didn't know about the two piece connector fix for the H1s either, beyond saying I needed an $1,100 harness replacement. Then again he couldn't explain why X's not running DRLs have the same connector problem. He was dressed very nicely though.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Canadian X types don't use the small lights as DRL, well acvtually they do but at least on the 04 its all the lights come on when you start, the headlight switch turns on the dash lights but every other light is already on. Low beam HIS, tail lights and the little DRL.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM

thanks for the input guys.

her x type is a 02 and original sale was in Ontario, Canada. she is the 2nd owner. so i assume that all the electrical was set up for Canadian laws.(which i think it the same as Ottawa and Alberta.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:33 PM

belated but new Canadian owner X SERIES 2002.....I am finding headlight set up "unusual"

do understand the DRL{outer low beam} but having problems removing HID low beam bulb which is burnt out? seems burned in to socket?

also main headlights seem to only be on high beam ...how does one dim them?

control switch has 3 positions ...DRL's come on automatically .the rest I am still playing with!

can anyone spare me a minute and explain the setup{yes have read the confusing /vague manual!

note ...........LOVE MY CAR!

Old 09-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

harry, lets start with how your headlights should work. Maybe this will clear up some confusion that you may be having.

Regardless of the position of the headlight switch, the inner light on the outside headlight housing should always come on when the car is in the RUN position. This is your low beam (also referred to as a dip beam by the british). The outer most lens in this housing is your turn signal bulb. It should be yellow/orange in color. This should only come on when you have the turn signal on or the hazzards.

As for the inside headlight housing. You will see that there is a large bulb in the center of this housing with a smaller bulb in the top of the housing. The large bulb is your high beams. The smaller bulb is your running light. The large bulb should only come on when you either pull the turn signal stalk back at you (flash to pass feature) or you push the turn signal stalk towards the instrument cluster (lock in the high beam lights, also should see a blue light appear in the instrument cluster indicating that your high beams are on).

Just to make sure that we are talking the same thing here, if you open up the driver's door, do you see a silver/white sticker between the door hinges stating that you have "High Insensity Discharge bulbs......."? I only ask this as I have run across people thinking that they have HID bulbs but in reality only have the standard halogen bulbs. If you are not sure, here is another check. When you turn on your car and the headlights come on, do they "snap" on or do they blink (ie, bright and then dim to only got to full brightness after about 5 seconds)? if they snap on, you have halogen bulbs. If they blink, then you have HID bulbs.

I cannot say that I have heard of someone having issues removing the HID bulbs. They get mounted into a black box which is mounted to the back of the headlight assembly. There have been numerous issues with the H1 bulbs (ie, halogen bulbs) getting stuck and/or the terminals getting melted to the plastic wiring harness, leading to issues.

One word of caution, the internals of the headlight assemblies have been found to get brittle over the years due to the plastic drying out. So, if you push on the headlight assemblies a little too hard, you may find that the internals of the headlights will become floppy and you will find that you will get very poor light output (due to the headlights either shining up to the sky or directly in front of the vehicle).

Old 09-04-2016, 05:48 PM

Thanks Thermo

In the last hour driving into a tunnel I now realise main headlights come on automatically when dark! .........so that's resolved

Pretty sure it's a HID {A COIL RUNNING THE LENGTH OF THE BULB?}

it just shall not move from its socket {friend have also tried}.......shall try again tomorrow and if no luck a visit to a dealer may be the answer!

as stated thank god I love the car!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:44 PM

hi!
one other thing!........there is two wires attached to a very small black plastic plug?.....just dangling beside lead to bulb?......any thoughts?.. .what does the ballast connection look like and how does the ballast link up with the bulb connection?

HAPPY HOLIDAY WEEKEND TO ALL BOTH IN CANADA AND USA!
SAFE DRIVING!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

harry, the style bulb that you have, is it an H1 bulb or a D2S bulb? What you are describing sounds a lot like a halogen bulb. An HID bulb has a glass ball inside of a glass tube. Also, the HID bulb has no wires directly attached to the bulb itself. HID bulbs require a ballast (voltage converter) to make the 12VDC work with them. What I am picturing with what you have said is a wire directly attached to the bulb itself. This again would imply that you have a halogen bulb.

Secondly, I guess I am getting a bit confused and may not be sure where the bulb is truely stuck. Can you remove the bulb from the headlight housing and only the wires are still attached or is the bulb stuck inside the headlight housing.

The factory housings came in 2 flavors. You have the halogen housings and you have the HID housings. From the outside, both are going to look identical. There are only 2 differences. The easier one to spot is removing the cover off of the outside headlight area and looking in there. If you see the back of the bulb, then you have halogen bulbs. If you have a big black box blocking your way, you have HIDs. The other tell tail is if you unplug the connector going to the headlight assembly, you will need to locate pins 9 and 10 on the headlight housing itself. If you only have 1 pin, then you have a halogen bulb housing. if you have 2 pins, then you have an HID housing. HID bulbs pull more current on startup and therefore need the second pin for the ground.

So, just to summarize, if you can see the back of the bulb without removing anything, you have halogen headlights. If you have a black box (ie, the ballast) that is blocking your path to the bulb, you have HIDs.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Xenon Standard Xenon 85122C1 | Philips

bulb type .....although have yet to see the base!

"Secondly, I guess I am getting a bit confused and may not be sure where the bulb is truely stuck. Can you remove the bulb from the headlight housing and only the wires are still attached or is the bulb stuck inside the headlight housing."

bulb out of housing but stuck in black socket? at end of wire leads

Your help is really appreciated .....we shall overcome this challenge!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

harry, what you have linked is the HID bulb (ie, D2S bulb).

Just to ask another question, have you tried giving the bulb a slight twist? Looking at pictures of the bulb, there are 2 posts on the side to lock the bulb in place. This tells me that they are retained inside of a slide. So, you will need to turn the bulb slightly and then pull the bulb out at that point. You should feel the bulb twist slightly and then hit a stop. Once at the stop, you can pull it straight out.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:10 PM

Hi again!
This is one of the many things that has confused me.....no posts on base of bulb! ...........

just plain round base glass part sits in a jagged metal circle moulded into base