X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Woes - What to do?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag4
'Nachos' in Los Angeles will do it for 250. He'll simply remove the old headliner and foam, in place, and redo with like headliner and foam. I tried asking to add thermo/sound dampening but no go. 1 yr grantee.
I contacted Nachos Auto Upholstery in Van Nuys. The quote was $450 to do the job. Sounds fair, but I'm not sure about the finished product when doing it "in place"

Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

You guys jinxed me, lol. I posted a bit ago "oh joy another thing to worry about", well noticed the front edge by windshield was coming loose. Bought some upholstery spray adhesive and fixed it. Got a head start on not having it all come down. Wait a minute, wtf is that through the rear window? Oh! It's coming loose there too. Take that (as I spray it back in place).

Ok, so when does it sag in the center? Smh!

Old 08-28-2018, 04:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just found an upholstery shop in Fresno, CA. - I asked him two questions. 1) Have you ever done a headliner on a Jag X-Type and his answer was "Yes."

2) I then asked him "what is your procedure" just waiting to hear him say back window removal. He surprised me and gave the right answer I wanted to hear - "He said "we take out the front passenger seat, and bring it out the back passenger door." I knew right then he was telling the truth and he was the guy. Will do it for $500 (non sun roof model). I will be taking it to him in the next couple months after I have some dental work done which is eating up my current cash.

Dell - with mine, once it started (the first bubble) it basically just cascades from there. Mine went from looking perfect to drooping everywhere in just about a month...and to boot I keep mine garaged BUT it still feels the summer Ca. heat no matter where you keep it.

peace out,
daddylogan

Last edited by daddylogan; 08-28-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yeah, I think the 100° days of summer here in Utah with it being under a carport still cooks the car way up higher than that inside.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

both my x types have sagging/unstuck headliners
east coast cars
a $40k car only lasts a few years nowadays

Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DGraham
I contacted Nachos Auto Upholstery in Van Nuys. The quote was $450 to do the job. Sounds fair, but I'm not sure about the finished product when doing it "in place"
Weird cuz I've talked to Nacho in person, twice, and $250 was the price.

I'm adding insulation and sound dampening when i do it so will take it elsewhere.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the process of doing this right now.Car would not pass Virginia inspection because third brake light not working. Dropped the rear headliner section to check connection and the headliner came apart. Decided to go ahead and replace it. Pulled headliner out myself and took it to a shop near me and for like 200$ they gave me a new headliner and looks great.

Not that hard a job so far but it is involved!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geewilicurs
In the process of doing this right now.Car would not pass Virginia inspection because third brake light not working. Dropped the rear headliner section to check connection and the headliner came apart. Decided to go ahead and replace it. Pulled headliner out myself and took it to a shop near me and for like 200$ they gave me a new headliner and looks great.

Not that hard a job so far but it is involved!
I'd love to see some photos of this and, also if possible, a step by step guide to how you achieved all this (I know, it is all done and too late for that....)

Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Yorta2,

I basically followed the directions from the first post on this thread. I have not been able to complete the reinstall because of rain here but will post some shots when I do.
Also recommend covering the interior of car with tarp to make clean up easier. I am dealing with a lot of fiberglass fibers and having to clean car with vacuum and leather cleaner. Anyone know of something else to help get the fibers off please advise.

Looking forward to installing new headliner very soon.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative method

Two years ago I had an ‘03 sport with the dreaded headliner sag. I refused to pay the ridiculous prices quoted by the local shops and was intimidated by the process of removing the headliner and brittle plastic pieces without breaking them. As a self proclaimed master of alternative methods, my son and I proceeded to remove the fabric and scrape the foam off of the cardboard. I then purchased a roll of headliner material from the innerweb and we installed it in the car. I used a recommended contact cement and started from the center of the headliner and once positioned, did both sides. Trimming the edges with a sharp razor blade, the tucking the liner behind the existing pillar trim. It came out great for less than $70. I sold the car locally and I regularly see it parked in town. It’s still holding up.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM

You sir are a SAINT! The stress would have done me in!