X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Heat

Yesterday is was about 30 in the early AM. I had a doctor's appointment. I got into my 03 and left and the car had no heat. I watched the temp gauge to see when the engine warmed up the heat would get warmer, it didn't. I had the heat set at 75 degrees by the way. However when I pushed the defrost button for the front a blast of hot air came up thru the dash vents. However the foot heat never got really warm. Any suggestions? I should have kept the Mercedes.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Yesterday is was about 30 in the early AM. I had a doctor's appointment. I got into my 03 and left and the car had no heat. I watched the temp gauge to see when the engine warmed up the heat would get warmer, it didn't. I had the heat set at 75 degrees by the way. However when I pushed the defrost button for the front a blast of hot air came up thru the dash vents. However the foot heat never got really warm. Any suggestions? I should have kept the Mercedes.
If you have hot air coming through the defrost ducts, then I would say you have a distribution problem. Something isn't moving to direct the air flow. Hopefully someone will reply with advise on how to correct this as I don't have a clue. I know I have a problem with my A/C not putting out warmer air on drivers side than the pax side and that's possibly caused by a door not closing completely.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Adam, when you were trying to blow heat down to your feet, did you have air coming out anywhere else on the dash? Could you hear the fan running? Hopefully we can fix this with minimal cost. But, it is sounding like the actuator for one of the dampers is not working.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Smile Heat

Originally Posted by Green Machine
If you have hot air coming through the defrost ducts, then I would say you have a distribution problem. Something isn't moving to direct the air flow. Hopefully someone will reply with advise on how to correct this as I don't have a clue. I know I have a problem with my A/C not putting out warmer air on drivers side than the pax side and that's possibly caused by a door not closing completely.
Air is coming out in the footwells, or better described under the dash but not a lot. Again a great luxury car.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Me too

I've had the same problem for 4 years since I bought the car. The dealer replaced the recirc doors and the sensor. Still no luck. No heat from floor.

Anybody get an answer to this yet?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Try running the system in "Auto", and follow this sequence. First, lower the temp to full cold (low), wait 5 seconds. Next, raise it to full heat (high). Now select the face vents. Next select feet. Finally select defrost. Wait 5-10 seconds after each selection. Lastly, select auto again, along with your desired temp. Let me know if this changes anything for you. Sometimes the servo's "lose" their position and need to be run through their ranges. I've seen this more than a few times.

I also want you to open your hood and tell us what the coolant level is in the reservoir. It is possible you may be low/have a leak.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I should have kept the Mercedes. Again a great luxury car.
C'mon man!!!!!!! I triple dog dare you to get a MB with the same mileage, same vintage at the same price you paid for the X and not have the same if not more issues. If the Benz was such a perfect car why don't you have it any more????
I had an older E300, and it nickel and dimed me to death, it had 55 series tires and was so uncomfortable on the concrete freeways because you felt every seam. I drive those same seams now and I have 40 series and I don't have to turn up the radio. My office window faces the largest Benz dealership locally and the amount of brand new Mercs being towed in every day would make your head swim.
I admit, you've had some issues, we all have, but they're not terrible, I had to do a reset on my sunroof, I had to do a reset on my heater as described above. Takes a minute and it's good as new. I know you've got mobility issues and maybe you've reached the end of your rope with the car. But factor in you do little tiny runs as far as I can remember, I take mine out on the highway once a week and tromp on it to blow out the crap, knocking on wood it has proved itself, my commute is 40KM each way, in traffic, average speed of 33 KPH, last week a foot of snow and the X just fires up every morning, and gets me there.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Default Benz

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
C'mon man!!!!!!! I triple dog dare you to get a MB with the same mileage, same vintage at the same price you paid for the X and not have the same if not more issues. If the Benz was such a perfect car why don't you have it any more????
I had an older E300, and it nickel and dimed me to death, it had 55 series tires and was so uncomfortable on the concrete freeways because you felt every seam. I drive those same seams now and I have 40 series and I don't have to turn up the radio. My office window faces the largest Benz dealership locally and the amount of brand new Mercs being towed in every day would make your head swim.
I admit, you've had some issues, we all have, but they're not terrible, I had to do a reset on my sunroof, I had to do a reset on my heater as described above. Takes a minute and it's good as new. I know you've got mobility issues and maybe you've reached the end of your rope with the car. But factor in you do little tiny runs as far as I can remember, I take mine out on the highway once a week and tromp on it to blow out the crap, knocking on wood it has proved itself, my commute is 40KM each way, in traffic, average speed of 33 KPH, last week a foot of snow and the X just fires up every morning, and gets me there.
My Dad got rid of the Benz because he could not get in and out of it without being in a lot of pain. The door openings on the X are much wider and the door longer. He is still in the hospital by the way, hope to find something out next week.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

My Dad got rid of the Benz because he could not get in and out of it without being in a lot of pain. The door openings on the X are much wider and the door longer. He is still in the hospital by the way, hope to find something out next week.
Say hey to your Dad from me, hopefully he get's out soon.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Probably unrelated, but here's a thought...

When I picked up my X in April '09 it was still pretty cold out, and I wasn't getting and heat out of the vents, even after the car warmed up. After cursing the climate control system at great length, a few days later when the car overheated on the highway I found out why. The old cracked nipple on the coolant tank and the resulting slow leak had drained enough coolant that there wasn't enough fluid left in the system to be heated up for the fan blowing across it to generate warm air to be blown into the air ducts. The nipple that cracks is the one near the bottom of the tank toward the center of the engine with a 1/4" black rubber hose connected to it. Once I replaced and refilled the coolant tank, I had plenty of heat. So if you haven't already, I'd check that nipple and your coolant level.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
Try running the system in "Auto", and follow this sequence. First, lower the temp to full cold (low), wait 5 seconds. Next, raise it to full heat (high). Now select the face vents. Next select feet. Finally select defrost. Wait 5-10 seconds after each selection. Lastly, select auto again, along with your desired temp. Let me know if this changes anything for you. Sometimes the servo's "lose" their position and need to be run through their ranges. I've seen this more than a few times.

I also want you to open your hood and tell us what the coolant level is in the reservoir. It is possible you may be low/have a leak.
Problem solved after 4 years! The Aspirator motor and internal temperature sensor were unplugged. Probably was that way since the car was built. In the past, the dealer has done everything from replacing the internal door system, to anything else, but would never look at this because the computer did not report an error code. I had to make them look at it.