Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater and blower does not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater and blower does not work

I hope some one can help me.

I have a 2002 X-Type jag and the heater and blower does not work. The screen does not even come on. I have changed the unit still no luck.

I have sent the car to a auto electrician who said all fuses are ok. Does any one know what the prob could be?

Thanks very much.

Eddie

Last edited by GGG; 09-14-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: add vehicle details
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eddie,

I've copied this question from your Intro. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Eddie, we are going to do what the shop says, but a bit more indepth. First off, there are 5 fuses that power the A/C system (making the assumption here that you have the separate controls, not those intregrated into the radio). You need to check fuses F25, F80, and F99 under the dash and fuse F6 under the hood of the car. F6 is not so much a problem for you, but the other 3 would more than likely cause what you are seeing. Worst case, find a fuse with the same rating that is new and put that in place of fuses F25, F80 and F99. Sometimes the fuses can fail with age in such a way that they look good, but in reality, they are open.

From here, we are going to need to use a multimeter. Are you familiar with how to use one and do you own one? If you are not familiar, do not worry. I can step you through everything on how to use it. We will then see which one of the power wires is having issues.

On a side note, have you had any work done inside of the dash recently? It may be that your ground wire has been disconnected/damaged. If you pull the radio and A/C controller out of the dash, look into the hole and you will see a cross brace for the dash running back there. You will see where some wires run to it and are grounded to this metal bar. Are all the lugs screwed down. You can take your hand and follow the wire bundle that comes from the A/C panel and see if there is a black wire that pops out of that wire bundle that will screw down to the cross member. It can be something that silly.

We will help you get this figured out.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blower

Originally Posted by Thermo
Eddie, we are going to do what the shop says, but a bit more indepth. First off, there are 5 fuses that power the A/C system (making the assumption here that you have the separate controls, not those intregrated into the radio). You need to check fuses F25, F80, and F99 under the dash and fuse F6 under the hood of the car. F6 is not so much a problem for you, but the other 3 would more than likely cause what you are seeing. Worst case, find a fuse with the same rating that is new and put that in place of fuses F25, F80 and F99. Sometimes the fuses can fail with age in such a way that they look good, but in reality, they are open.

From here, we are going to need to use a multimeter. Are you familiar with how to use one and do you own one? If you are not familiar, do not worry. I can step you through everything on how to use it. We will then see which one of the power wires is having issues.

On a side note, have you had any work done inside of the dash recently? It may be that your ground wire has been disconnected/damaged. If you pull the radio and A/C controller out of the dash, look into the hole and you will see a cross brace for the dash running back there. You will see where some wires run to it and are grounded to this metal bar. Are all the lugs screwed down. You can take your hand and follow the wire bundle that comes from the A/C panel and see if there is a black wire that pops out of that wire bundle that will screw down to the cross member. It can be something that silly.

We will help you get this figured out.
Thanks very much for u reply I tyred what u said with the fuses and the earths behind ac unit and no luck I will get a multi meater the week end hopefully if there not to dear and will prob bother u again if that's ok cos I really don't no how to use one if it was my car it would not worry me but it's the wife's thanks very much Eddie

Old 09-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Eddie, I will give you step by step where to put the probes. As long as you follow what I say, you will be fine. You don't need something really expensive. A simple $15 multimeter from Lowes/Home Depot/Radio Shack is all that you really need for what you are going to be doing. The more expensive ones are nice, but at the same time, mainly what you are paying for is the accuracy and the ability to test transistors and capacitors. Not a need in this case.