X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Another door-lock issue, but with different symptoms.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Another door-lock issue, but with different symptoms.

Hey Folks,

I've read many threads regarding difficulties with doors not opening from the outside (in my case the driver's door), but none so far have addressed the following issue.

I have an 02 X-Type. Once the driver's door is opened from the inside, I can open & close the door all-day from the outside, but as soon as the doors are locked & unlocked, the driver's door will no longer open from the outside and has to be opened from the inside again!

I removed the door panel and moved up the threaded rod, but it didn't fix the problem. I can feel that it unlatches faster since the rod is adjusted but I still can't open the door from the outside.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Is anybody familiar with the smaller of the two rods that's responsible for locking and unlocking? I'm thinking that the driver's door is not unlocking and that's why I'm not able to open it from the outside!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I have an old TSB for diagnosis and one for the need for a stronger link rod.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT501-07.pdf (184.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: pdf
XT501-28.pdf (53.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have an old TSB for diagnosis and one for the need for a stronger link rod.

bob gauff
Motorcarman,

Thanks for the TSB's, but when I click on them I get the error below. I'm guessing that it may have something to do with the fact that I'm a new member. Is there another website that I can download these from?

Thanks Again,

JagLawry, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. [*]

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

I've noticed that even opening the door from the inside is troublesome. I have to pull harder on the inside handle as opposed to the other doors. I think it could be a lubing issue... I'm thinking of using some white lithium grease on the lock.

I'll let you guys know if it helps. In the meantime, if anyone could point me to where I can download the above TSB's, I'd appreciate it very much.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JagLawry
Hey Folks,

I've read many threads regarding difficulties with doors not opening from the outside (in my case the driver's door), but none so far have addressed the following issue.

I have an 02 X-Type. Once the driver's door is opened from the inside, I can open & close the door all-day from the outside, but as soon as the doors are locked & unlocked, the driver's door will no longer open from the outside and has to be opened from the inside again!

I removed the door panel and moved up the threaded rod, but it didn't fix the problem. I can feel that it unlatches faster since the rod is adjusted but I still can't open the door from the outside.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance!
The link rod, or threaded rod that you are talking about should be replace. Jaguar has an updated link rod available. If you do it yourself, The glass has to come out and take extra care with the handle removal because that will have to come out to do this link rod. The link rod is attached to the handle by a clip. DONT BREAK the clip.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaglover922
The link rod, or threaded rod that you are talking about should be replace. Jaguar has an updated link rod available. If you do it yourself, The glass has to come out and take extra care with the handle removal because that will have to come out to do this link rod. The link rod is attached to the handle by a clip. DONT BREAK the clip.
Thanks for your reply. I'm under the impression that the rod in question is connected to the outside handle only (this rod, or rather the mechanism seems to be functioning, since I can open the door once it's first opened from the inside). I think the problem might lie with the driver's door not fully unlocking! because I can feel the tension on the inside handle. I don't know for sure though, but I'll look into the new updated rod and see what i can find.

Thanks again,