X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Brake Issue?

Hello all, just needed some sound advise and to what my issue might be on my X-Type. I did take it to the dealership to check out, but they won't diagnose that issue until I tune up my car which I've been quoted at $1300 (scam!).

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Automatic w/101,000 miles

Here's the issue:

When driving, and coming to a stop, sometimes (most times under a heavier foot) I brake and the peddle gets mushier, and I hear a "vrrrrmmm" noise as if the engine is revving up (which it is not). It's driving me insane. I also noticed that on ice, it does it all the time as if it's the abs or something when I brake.

Any idea what it could be???

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

This may or may not be relevant, but I also have been noticing that from a stop to acceleration, I have been feeling/hearing a "clunk" noise before it gets to higher speed, as if somethings trying to catch up.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

carpenter, what else is wrong with the car? Kinda sounds like you have a check engine light and they are wanting that fixed before you start focusing on the brakes. If you are getting P0171/0174 codes, then I would be looking at the brake booster line, specifically the bulb in the center of that line. That bulb is known for cracking, leading to issues with braking and causing a check engine light.

I would be curious what all they are wanting done to the car and their basis behind stating what they are. Just trying to get a full picture of what is going on.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Yes, they want me to have the vehicle tuned-up before they drive it around and check the issue.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

carpenter, honestly, I would wait about a week (if you can), go back to them, tell them that you had a tune up done at a different shop and tell them to take a look at the car. As long as the check engine light is not on, they are not going to really be able to tell the difference as long as you put a new air filter on the car. About the only other things that they would do is change the plugs. Ok, they are going to say that they did a fuel system cleaning, but no way to prove that. Kinda like changing the tranny fluid. Short of pulling the plug on the side and sticking a stick in there to get a little bit of fluid out, they won't know. The only tell tails that they will be able to see is the air filter and the plugs (but those are hidden from sight and if they are checking on that, then that is not a dealership I would want to deal with as they are trying to find work and that normally calls into question what they are saying is bad and what truely needs to be replaced.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM

True, however the brake issue is not related to the tune-up issue.
Has anyone out there had this issue, or know what causes it???

Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you have any check engine lights showing on your dash? If so, go to somewhere like Autozone and report them back here. From what you describe I would have to guess you are. Knowing that someone here more than likely can help you.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

When you say the pedal is "mushy", does it by chance feel like it is also pulsating really, really fast? (might even be the sound you hear?)

If so, your problem is likely just a loose connection to the speed sensor thing-a-ma-bob on one of the wheels.

Just wiggle the wires, or better yet: pull the connectors apart, clean them up and spray them down with WD-40 before you stab them back together.

Possibly a glop of road goop on the unit or sensor ring, also.

(I have had both conditions. Usually anymore now, it's the local drive-though car-wash that trashes the right front connector on me just about every trip through it. The high-pressure water jet loosens the connection, and I just tap it a few times with my toe to 'fix' it)

Worst case scenario, a broken sensor ring or sensor (search here in the X-Type forum for the fix!).

All, easy and cheap fixes!

Best 'o luck.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenterltd

Any idea what it could be???
Could be simply a contaminated rotor, easily fixed. Don't take it to a dealer if they're going to give you attitude, go to an independent repair shop.

Beware shops that display this sign:

Attached Thumbnails Help!  Brake Issue?-labour-rates-car-repair.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (01-25-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like the ABS pump is running. Could be a bad ring in the rear or bearing in the front going bad which messed up the magnetic ring. The clunk could be a bad ring.

Just my 1 cent.