X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! "Headlights"

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! "Headlights"

I'm trying to get my headlight beams pointed correctly, but the places I need to insert the screwdriver are stripped. does anyone know how to get the lights to adjust or is there another tool I can use?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum jleeto, hopefully someone who can help you will be along shortly, in the meantime why not head over to our new members area and introduce yourself

==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi jleeto. First of all, welcome.
Do you think they are stripped because you spin them and nothing changes? If that's it, I'll tell you the problem is not where you think it is.

Every X-type ever made is going to have the adjusters internal to the lights fail. They sell the parts pretty cheaply on ebay, where I got mine. Search for headlight adjusters Xtype Jaguar and you'll see plenty of them. There are instructions on ebay with the vendors, and you will find some posts on that subject here in this forum if you use the Search feature.
Good luck!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep bet your adjusters are broke and the parts are fantastic from the guy off ebay and I replaced my right side ones as the adjusters were broken.

You will have to bake your lights however to replace them...not a huge job and it was quite easy

Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep send your wife shopping, and then you can use the oven to heat the lights to get them apart. Or you might be one of the lucky ones like me and your wife doesn't mind as long as you clean up after yourself. Mine just doesn't like it when I wash an antique radio chassis in the dishwasher. I mean, dang, what's the big deal, honey?

One more thing, on the instructions, if they say to heat them to 90 degrees, they are talking Celsius not Fahrenheit. About 195 degrees F will do it.

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 03-19-2014 at 11:16 PM.