X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with maintenance

Hey guys i just wanted to know from other experienced cat owners!

to do regular maintenance such as oil change, spark plug replacement, air filter change and simple things like that on other cars are the same like the jaguar??

I currently own a 2002 Jaguar xtype stnd 3.0

i want to replace the spark plugs, would that be an easy change? i just know that you have to take off the intake manifold.

also what exact parts do you need to replace the spark plugs? i know spark plugs (obvious) but i also heard that i need a new intake gasket manifold!?

I know how to work on GM vehicles and others like toyota or nissan or honda. but never worked with a Jag so im worried i will mess up the engine.

Can somebody please help me out here!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

john, replacing the spark plugs on the car is not hard. LIke you know, you have to remove the top half of the intake off of the car. Keep in mind that you have 4 hidden bolts (2 against the fire wall, kinda under the intake, 2 more in the opening between the throttle body and the intake, hidden underneath). You do not need to undo any hoses going to the throttlebody, just roll the intake off to the side. I would recommend undoing the wiring to the throttlebody though.

As for what else you may want to do, that is a loaded question. If you are having performance issues, I would recommend spending a few extra dollars on new IMT o-rings, getting new gaskets for the intake plenum, and consider doing the lower intake gaskets too (6 more bolts as I recall and then dealing with the fuel rail). The gasket kits can be obtained from Advance Auto for around $20-25 a set. If you need the part numbers, let me know. I will find them.

This would also be a good time to clean the throttle body. That way you do not flood out the engine. If you find oil in your plug wells, this is also a good time to replace the valve cover gasket. But, odds are, you will not have an issue with that.

I would say that if you can, do a vacuum check of the engine and see how the vacuum is doing. If it is borderline, then it will be advantageous to do the gaskets. They are reusable, so, replacing them is not mandatory. But, at the same time, for what they cost, it is cheap insurance. I did not replace them on my car when I did the plugs 35K miles ago. No issues since then. Your call.

If you need more info, let me know. Plan on spending about 2 hours doing this. Having a set of offset wrenches is helpful too.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (06-26-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM

ohhhh ok i see! wow Thermo! I GREATLY appreciate the info ! thanx!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

John, too bad you don't live closer to Maryland. I would tell you to stop by and we would get your car taken care of in an afternoon. Once you have done it, it is easy to do. The first time you jump into it, you will be slightly wondering what you are getting yourself into and finding some of those hidden bolts is fun.

Slow and steady and keep the beers for after the work is done and you have fired the car up.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Haha I wish too! But I'm way beyond maryland haha but will do n thanx again for the info! Greatly appreciated!