X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?

I'm hoping some X-type experts can help me diagnose this issue. I bought a 2003 2.5 with 5 speed tranny as a project car as it had a blown head gasket. I start digging into it and find oil/fluid all underneath the car, from front to back, just coated everywhere. P.O. says they had no known oil leaks before the head gasket failure that they were aware of, so I assumed it must have related to the HG problem. However, I have dropped the entire sub-frame assembly and separated the engine/transaxle/transfer case and it does not appear to be from the engine (plus the engine oil was like chocolate milk due to the HG failure and the oil spilled looks like "clean" oil or fluid.

The oil is spread out on top of the transaxle around the shift mechanism, on the side, along the side of the engine block, and on the transfer case. I drained the transaxle and only got about 0.75 liter of fluid (down a liter). I drained the transfer case and got about 0.9 liter, about 0.4 too much. The seals on the output shaft of the transaxle and the internal seal in the transfer case "appear" ok, but is it possible for the fluid to drain from the transaxle into the transfer case, then blow out the vent and then spread this far out? Or I wonder if P.O. had the car serviced and the tech filled the transfer case instead of the transaxle when trying to top off.

I am buying a replacement used engine and sure don't want to have take it all back apart again due to an fluid leak. I plan on replacing the axle seals, but how hard is to replace that internal seal in the transfer case?

Dave
'03 2.5 5 spd

Attached Thumbnails Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?-img_1690small.jpg   Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?-img_1694small.jpg   Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?-img_1719small.jpg   Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?-img_1720small.jpg   Oil everywhere - coming from transfer case or transaxle?-img_1724small.jpg  

Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

My theoory on oil leaks is that the furthest forward place that is covered in
oil is near the oil leak. Anything further back that is oily is just a result
of the air flow. If you have a second oil leak further back you are
out of luck finding it. It is pretty hard to identify "clean" oil from
"dirty" oil after it has be flowing over the surface of a dirty drive train.

How many miles on the car? It might be worthwhile changing the seals
anyway since you are 95% of the way there and they are cheap.

Pete.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

wal74, is the fluid that you are seeing red or gray in color. Red would indicate a tranny fluid issue, grey would be a transfer case issue. Since you mention that there was too much fluid in the transfer case, it can be that it was spitting out the vent and that is what you are seeing. If you have an oil leak, the most likely place would be from the pan gasket and if you have the motor out, now is the time to replace the gasket. I Think most would say if you have the motor out, replace the gasket anyways. The gasket is fairly cheap and it is tons easier to replace now than later.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thats the oil pan gasket

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

The manual transmission fluid is black and same color as the transfer case. Yes, I plan on replacing all the seals, but my biggest concern is the internal seal in the transfer case. My worst case scenario is that fluid from the transaxle leaked into the transfer case and caused it to overfill and blow out the vent, but not sure that is even possible due to the height of the fluids in relationship to the transaxle output shaft, which also has it's own seal? I'm leaning toward someone tried topping off the transaxle by adding fluid to the transfer case. I just don't want to have to drop everything again if I'm wrong!

Normally, I agree with the most forward damp spot is the source, but the leak pattern I am seeing doesn't support that in this case, but thanks for the idea!

By clean oil, I mean it is not the light brown oil/anitfreeze mix from the engine.

I plan on putting in new axle seals in the transaxle and transfer case, and replace the oil pan gasket on the replacement used engine (besides new plugs, intake seals, clutch, half-shafts, etc.)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Since youve already gone this far just pop off the t case and flush it. You can put a new oring on then. And when you take off the nut for the rear driveshaft seal. Silicone the nut flange when you reinstall. Theres a bulletin about this yrs ago for rear seal nut leakage