X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP removing locked X-Type Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP removing seized/locked X-Type Engine!!

Hello everyone!

I'm back with another issue, but this time it's replacing the sadly seized/locked X-Type engine I asked for help with previously (Old Thread located Here)

We've purchased a new engine and are now in the process of replacing it, cherry picker on hand and everything in order, however we have ran into a snag in removing the old engine: Since the engine is locked we are unable to turn the crankshaft/flywheel to gain access to the remaining bolts in order to release the engine. Is there anyway to lift this engine out WITHOUT also removing the transmission? We're somewhat in a time crunch and would like to avoid this additional 6+ hours of labor if possible.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!

Last edited by NCbeachbum; 10-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I may be wrong... but it is my understanding that it is just about impossible to remove the X-Type engine from above.

Almost every thread on the forum mentions bringing the engine out from the bottom, and seem to claim it the only way to do so. As a shade-tree mechanic, it lead me to think I need to find a bigger branch to hang things from.

When I had the automatic tranny replaced in my X-Type, the fellow at the shop kind of ran me through how he did it, and he did take the hood off (and marred it) - but he also dropped the engine/tranny out the bottom. He said it only took him about 45 minutes to drop both units, which I interpreted to mean it would take me a full day and half 'o case of beer to do the same at home - provided I can find a suitable shade-tree branch.

(All is not lost, though - the Cherry Picker is fun to give each other "rides" with by the back of your belt after you drink the beer!)

I encourage you to research this subject using the "Search" capabilities of the forum here. I think it will save you hours and hours of work, and make the job go easy.

There are MANY threads here about replacing the engine.

Best of luck with your endevour, and please don't just keep us apprised, but TAKE PHOTOS of the process and post them!

(PS - Don't forget to enter the drawing for the Custom Hood Liner, too!)

The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce in North Dakota:
mmoriarty (11-01-2012), NCbeachbum (11-05-2012), Norri (10-29-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you soo much for your wise (and entertaining) pointers Bruce! I apologize for my delay in replying - it's been a crazy week both in general and with this car (yikes) Lol. Anyway, an update on the Jag: the engine was finally removed on Saturday... they had some issues/snags in getting it out for awhile there - probably because the knuckleheads don't know how to listen! Despite your post and numerous other suggestive resources, they were hellbent on removing the engine from the top! Thankfully, everything appears to be sucessful... Now let's see how much trouble they have putting the new one in!! Smh. Will Update

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated .

Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I couldn't lift it up. I had to raise the car and lower it (engine, transmission, subframe) with the cherry picker. I could not get the engine out by itself. I had lower the whole assembly. And I am reasonably convinced that is actually the faster way to do it. My new engine is going back in now. The new one is in, but the car is still up on jacks in my carport. If you'd like to see it, I can snap a picture and post it in the morning.

And now it's morning so here is the picture of the jack stands I used to raise the front. Note I put the rear wheels on ramps for more altitude. The wooden platforms are all bolted together with a through bolt at each corner. Nothing loose. The jack stands themselves may have had enough reach but I didn't feel comfortable with the necks pulled out that far. Thus the wooden platforms. Seems very stable.

In removing the engine, I lowered the engine, trans, and subframe onto the legs of the cherry picker, supported the engine and transmission on each side with a 2x4 inch timber between the subframe and engine on one side and the same with the transmission to subframe on the other side. Then I used the legs of the cherry picker to truck the whole powertrain out from under the car.

My car should come down off the jacks later today. Good luck with your project.

Attached Thumbnails HELP removing locked X-Type Engine!!-sany0853.jpg  

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 01-05-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added Picture and Description