X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Troubleshooting AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Troubleshooting AC Problem

The Car: 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L Automatic Trans. with 84,000 miles.

The Issue: I'm sweating my butt off in this 90 degree weather because my AC doesn't work!

The rest of the climate control system works flawlessly. When I turn it to AC, it blows room-temperature air out of the vents. If I put it on Max Cold, it blows out somewhat warm air. If I put the fan setting on a low setting, it gets somewhat cool, but not enough to cool the car down. I'm thinking that because of the touchy fan setting issue and how the temp reacts, the refrigerant is low and most likely leaking.

I was considering buying a can of refrigerant and recharging it, then looking for leaks... but before I waste the cash on it I figured that I would ask here to see if I am even on the right path. Can someone possible offer me some advice as to how to trouble shootthis problem? Also,if I am onthe right track, can someone please tell me the location of the low pressure valve to recharge the system? Thank you so much for your help!!!

Steve

Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Help with Troubleshooting AC Problem

For some reason I can only post short posts

Is you compressor coming on? or cycling real fast? (on off on off)

Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM

I don't know how to tell... I'm not very experienced in air conditioning systems. When I put the temp to cool or low, it acts as if it should be blowing out cold air. The fan goes to the correct setting, but the air coming out isn't cold. To tell if the compressor is going on and off, should I physically look at the compressor in the engine bay? How do I tell if it is going on and off? Common sense tells me that the pulley would be turning all the time.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
ud

Yup you are correct..Have someone turn on the A/C button on and off and watch the pully end of the compressor..this is the clutch..you should be able to see it engage as the A/C button is pushed on..

Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Just so that I'm understanding what I should be looking for... The pulley would be turned by the belt at all times. The clutch moves to make contact with the pulley so that it goes from free spinning when the AC is off to driving the compressor when the AC is on.... right? So I'm supposed to be looking for something that moves and makes contact with the pulley when the AC is turned on? Or does the pulley itselfactually move?

So, if the compressor activates and stays running when the AC is turned on, then it would need a recharge, right? And if the compressor doesn't engage when the AC is turned on, or if it engages and then disengages right away,then I would need a new compressor? Are these the onlytwo possible troubles, or are there other possible issues?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: sbxt

Just so that I'm understanding what I should be looking for... The pulley would be turned by the belt at all times. The clutch moves to make contact with the pulley so that it goes from free spinning when the AC is off to driving the compressor when the AC is on.... right? So I'm supposed to be looking for something that moves and makes contact with the pulley when the AC is turned on? Or does the pulley itselfactually move?

So, if the compressor activates and stays running when the AC is turned on, then it would need a recharge, right? And if the compressor doesn't engage when the AC is turned on, or if it engages and then disengages right away,then I would need a new compressor? Are these the onlytwo possible troubles, or are there other possible issues?

Thanks for the help!
Excellent reasoning and correct..If it cycles on and off reallyoften, then you need a charge..if the compressor stays engaged, you have a bad compressor more than likely..Or (next page)

Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
ud

Or if this smaller line should be warm and the larger line is cold and sweaty (upper left hand area, next to firewall), you may have an internal climate control issue with the air mixing dampers (doors)

Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work. Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 PM
ud

Not a problem..I owe you because when I went to take that picture, I discovered that one of the coolant return lines to the Coolant resevoir had almost cracked off the tank top..So I juryrigged it to get me to the dealer to have the tank replaced..otherwise I would have never noticed it until I was low on coolant..

Name:  MVC-001F-3.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  97.1 KB

Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM

I think that I have determined that the freon is low. Can someone please tell me the location of the low pressure valve so that I can hook up a guage? Thanks alot!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM

All fixed!!!! I'm SOOO happy! The air is nice and cold!

It turns out that I had a huge hole in one of the metal hoses, right above the plastic brush guard. A little epoxy and a quick recharge, and the air is ice cold! Yay! Thanks for the help!