X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys!! i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys!! i need some help

hey guys, I just bought 2002 x type 2.5 and I have some question that will help me fix the problem.. I put the gas last night ( high grade, because it suppose to snow up to 8inch today, so regular gas was out most of place) anways.. after i put 20$ there was about 205 range, i believe its 205mls till empty.. but i only drove for about 15miles max since i put the gas but gage says 165mls already.. WTF??? and also trip A avg fule it say 2.5mpg and trip B say 12.5mpg ( whatever that mean).. before i purchase this car, we went to the shop and got the diognostic test and inspection and passed both.... im not sure if its cuz of high grade gas or there might be something wrong with a car that suck up the gas so much??

Last edited by hk55874; 12-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

HK, the miles til empty is based on the instantaneous mileage, not your average mileage. So, if you watch the miles til empty, it will vary greatly. Driving in the snow, yes, I would assume that your miles til empty would drop significantly due to the slow speeds and lots of stop and go traffic.

No need to worry about problems with the car. From what you are describing, it is running normally.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
HK, the miles til empty is based on the instantaneous mileage, not your average mileage. So, if you watch the miles til empty, it will vary greatly. Driving in the snow, yes, I would assume that your miles til empty would drop significantly due to the slow speeds and lots of stop and go traffic.

No need to worry about problems with the car. From what you are describing, it is running normally.

oh ok thanks for respond.. cuz its been snowing like crazy we got like 5inchs over night.. but it was kinda weird that range went from 205mls to 165mls so quick!!! what is the trip A & B ave fule?? cuz A says 2.2mpg and B says 12.5mpg??

Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

hk, you have 2 trip meters in the car (hence the A and B). So, for example, if you are doing a long trip, you can use the A for the tank to tank stuff and the B for the complete trip calculations. I bet you only reset the A trip computer and the B one has been ticking for some time now.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
hk, you have 2 trip meters in the car (hence the A and B). So, for example, if you are doing a long trip, you can use the A for the tank to tank stuff and the B for the complete trip calculations. I bet you only reset the A trip computer and the B one has been ticking for some time now.

If you need any more info, let me know.
thanks a lot thermo.. I dont quite understand what you mean but i reset trip A when i got the car and B i reset it this morning.. trip B ave fule is 2.2mpg, and is that because of snow and i been driving so slow? is that why take so much gas at the moment?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Not knowing how much gas was in the tank when you put gas in and how much you paid per gallon, but I will assume it was probably close to empty. Plus, it sounds like you are in a cold weather climate. That said, you probably only had a half a tank or so in there after fill up. The smaller amount in the tank the more that distance to empty would vary, especially on short runs. Plus, if the car was already warmed up when you filled it up the trip computer recalculated based on continuing to run the car under those circumstances. If the little mileage you ran was several shorter trips and the car didn't get to normal operating temperature, your mpg would be a lot less. The cold would have something t do with it as well. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you feel the car isn't runing smoothly or there is a Check Engine Light on. Best thing would be to fill the tank up completely a few times and measure the mileage ran from the last fill-up to the next one and divide that by the amount of gas you actually put in. Chances are that will be a bit lower than the readout.

Just the brief snapshot you have after a few miles doesn't tell you much. Too many outside factors will affect that number in the short term. You need more data to get a truer picture of your mileage. The computer is constantly recalculating your distance to empty. As long as the car is running well, I wouldn't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy your new Jag!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Not knowing how much gas was in the tank when you put gas in and how much you paid per gallon, but I will assume it was probably close to empty. Plus, it sounds like you are in a cold weather climate. That said, you probably only had a half a tank or so in there after fill up. The smaller amount in the tank the more that distance to empty would vary, especially on short runs. Plus, if the car was already warmed up when you filled it up the trip computer recalculated based on continuing to run the car under those circumstances. If the little mileage you ran was several shorter trips and the car didn't get to normal operating temperature, your mpg would be a lot less. The cold would have something t do with it as well. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you feel the car isn't runing smoothly or there is a Check Engine Light on. Best thing would be to fill the tank up completely a few times and measure the mileage ran from the last fill-up to the next one and divide that by the amount of gas you actually put in. Chances are that will be a bit lower than the readout.

Just the brief snapshot you have after a few miles doesn't tell you much. Too many outside factors will affect that number in the short term. You need more data to get a truer picture of your mileage. The computer is constantly recalculating your distance to empty. As long as the car is running well, I wouldn't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy your new Jag!

thank you sir! I mean i got this car for great price and exterior&interior is excellent condition.. almost same or better then 08 Acura TSX i bought 5 month ago lol.. There was engine lights on when i take a look at the car, so i suggest them to take it to shop and get the diagonastic test and get the inspection. car hasnt been drive for awhile so battery was very bad so they replace battery and engine lights went off and passed the test and also passed inspection.. so i dont think there are any other problems but car is kinda of vibrating, im not sure if its suspesion or other stuff cuz tires almost brand new.. it feels like lug nuts are lil loose, i mean im not sure thats the case but it feels that way sometime.. should i get suspsion tune up or how could i find that type of problem?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Could be a number of things, but the easiest to check would be if you have a bent wheel, an unbalanced tire or worn tires. Also, are the tires wearing evenly? If not, could be a sign of being out of aligment or some worn or damaged suspension parts . Have to checked out by a mechanic you can trust.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Could be a number of things, but the easiest to check would be if you have a bent wheel, an unbalanced tire or worn tires. Also, are the tires wearing evenly? If not, could be a sign of being out of aligment or some worn or damaged suspension parts . Have to checked out by a mechanic you can trust.
doesnt look like wheels are bent and tires is pretty much brand new.. if i get suspesion tune up, would they find out what cause that?? it might be aligment and it might be shocks, like you say it might be several different reasons..

Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

You might want to do some seaching on this site to find some threads talking about the symptoms you are having. If anything you may be able to narrow down the possibilities and if you can't fix it youself at least you would have some education on when you take it into the shop. There is so much good info on this site it you do some digging.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM

You might want to do some seaching on this site to find some threads talking about the symptoms you are having. If anything you may be able to narrow down the possibilities and if you can't fix it youself at least you would have some education on when you take it into the shop. There is so much good info on this site it you do some digging.

yeahsirrr.. thanks!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Crawl under the front end of the car and remove one of the sway bar end links, then go for a test ride. If your noises go away, order a couple end links. Very common problem noise.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Marc
Crawl under the front end of the car and remove one of the sway bar end links, then go for a test ride. If your noises go away, order a couple end links. Very common problem noise.

i can feel the rattling rear end when i go bumpy road or snow or when i slowing down right befor complete stop around 15-5mph... i'll go rotate/blance tires tommorow and get alignment just to be safe and if that doesnt work then i guess i'll have other problems.. =(