X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi guys help needed with jaguar x type

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys help needed with jaguar x type

Hi guys I changed the battery on my jaguar x type because it was a bit slow at starting now it won't even crank over just all the lights on the dash and nothing it's a 20lt diesel 2005 any suggestions the key workers fine with the Doors in had the aà out to it and he couldn't find anything I have noticed that when I put the ignition on the head lights come on and the break lights ???

Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Meeky, first things first. When you attempt to start the car, look at the center console. There is a red light there. Does the light remain out or does it flash as you attempt to start the car? If it remains out, then that is telling you that the security portion of the car is functioning properly and it is seeing the key. If it flashes, then you some how lost the programming to that key. If you have a second key, try that.

Assuming that your security system is functioning properly, turn on a map light and watch that as you attempt to start the car. Does the map light remain nice and bright, does it dim slightly, or does it go all the way out? if it remains bright, then your starter is not seeing the start command. If the light goes all the way out, odds are, one/both of your battery cables is bad and will need to be replaced (if you think this is the case, then let me know and I will tell you how to figure out which one it is). If the light dims, then it may be possible that your starter just happen to die at the same time as you replaced the battery.

Based on the work done, I am placing money that you are looking at a bad battery cable. Not to ask a silly question, but are you sure that the new battery has a full charge? If in doubt, put the battery on a charger and make sure that it is at 100%. The other possibility is that even though you have a new battery, it may have a bad cell and it will only expose itself under a heavy load (ie, the starter). But, you should see this when you do the map light test as the map light should go out due to the bad cell.

On a side note, how are you with a multimeter? Just trying to figure out how much information you may need if you want to connect up a multimeter to diagnose things to a more specific problem.

The following users liked this post:
oshea58 (07-15-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 AM

Hi thanks for reply ye thevred light in the centre console stays red does that mean it's immobilised??

Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Hi thanks for replying the red light stays on all the time any ideas

Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Meeky, if the light is on all the time, then it is possible that your PATS module is toast. that is what does the security for the car and will block the signal from reaching the starter when the key is moved to the START position. If the car is immobilized, you should see in the information screen in the instrument cluster a message about "improper key" or "vehicle immobilized" (something to that effect). If you are not seeing that, then you have a PATS issue. Just to ask a silly question, are you seeing any responses from the instrument cluster? it is possible you have a bad instrument cluster which could also lead to this condition as the security system is tied into the instrument cluster.

If you need some more things to try, let me know and I will see what I can do for you. Would you happen to have a code reader? if so, does it only do the P codes or will it also read B, C, and U codes? If you don't know what I am talking about, do not fret.

oshea58 (07-15-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanks for replying where can I find this pats mod funny you say about my dash instruments when I turn the keys they flicker and make a funny noise I do have a obd code reader it comes up no falts

Last edited by Meeky; 03-26-2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Missing
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Meeky, before we get going too far, lets take a step back. All your problems started when you installed a new battery, correct? It is possible that you have a bad battery. It may be new, but there is a possibility that it has failed. If you have a multimeter, you can put the multimeter across the battery posts (touch only the posts on the battery, not the battery cable clamps). Verify that you have 12.6 VDC at this time (if not, put the battery on a charger and get it to 12.6 VDC). Have a second person attempt to start the car. Did the multimeter continue to read 12.6 VDC, drop to say 10.0 VDC, or go to 11.5 VDC? If it stayed at 12.6 VDC, then that tells me the starter is getting no signal to start the car. If it drops to say 10.0 VDC, you have a bad battery (which can lead to the dash making the funny noises). If it went to around 11.5 VDC, then the starter is getting power, but not enough to roll the engine.

Making the assumption that the battery remained at 12.6 VDC, this would indicate that your security system is having an issue. First try a second key to make sure that for some reason the car has not lost the information for the key you normally use. If the second key is doing the same thing, then we know your keys are more than likely good.

From here, you have 2 components left that can be your trouble. You have the PATS transponder and the instrument cluster (contains the PATS module). The PATS transponder is located on the underside of the steering column with a 4 pin plug coming off of it. The instrument cluster is pretty obvious. You would not be the first person here to have an issue with the instrument cluster being the cause of your problems.

Before we start jumping to assumptions that there is a bad instrument cluster, I want you to try one more thing. Get into the car and turn on the map light. With the map light on, attempt to start the car as you watch the map light. Did the map light remain bright, go out, or dim? Remaining bright again tells me the starter go no signal and at this point we are more than likely looking at an instrument cluster. If the light went completely out (but you had even a slight drop in voltage at the battery), this would tell me you have a bad battery cable. If the light dims, then this is telling me that the starter is getting power, but is not able to roll the engine.

If you want to prove which cable is bad (assuming you are thinking it is a cable), using the multimeter and set to VDC, connect one lead to the negative post of the battery (not the battery cable clamp) and the other to any metal part of the engine. Attempt to start the car. Did the multimeter go up to over 1.0 VDC? If yes, then your negative battery cable is bad and needs replaced. If it stayed under 1.0 VDC, then the cable is fine. Next, connect the multimeter between the positive battery post (not the battery cable clamp) and the positive terminal on the starter (large post on the starter). Attempt to start the car. Did it go to over 1.0 VDC? If yes, your positive battery cable is bad. If no, then the cable is good. On a side note, just because you find one bad cable, do not assume that the other is good. Check both of them.

oshea58 (07-15-2017)