X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HID kits?

Does anyone know where to find a decent HID kit for the X that is reliable, and not too pricey?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HID kits?

I've found a few...my buddy actually has a set of pilot lights for his 03 bonneville. They are on ebay for under $200 just look for someone with a good rating and hope the best. My buddy has had no problems with his and he's had them since last September!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 AM

Thanx Aquill, ill look in to it

Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure to look at a sellers feedback! I have a friend that sells HID kits for like 200 or 250 brand new, and he'll even install them for me. I'll ask his how much for a set for an X-type and I'll post it up. If anyone is interested, I'll put them up on ebay and only let you guyzbuy them! You just gotta make sure to tell me your ebay name so that I know it isn't someone else trying to take them!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got em on. They are a generic 8k kit. I wanted a set of 6k's but they looked so common and there wasnt much light difference b/t them and the 8's.check em out

Name:  IMG_0230.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0232.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  82.7 KB

Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM

What brand did u get, and how hard was the install if you did it ureself, or how much for the install if u got it done?

Old 04-29-2007, 05:04 PM

I believe the balasts are PIAA and the bulbs are phillips. I got it installed for 120, and the kit was 180. The shop gave me a 90 day warranty on parts/labor. I dont like how the car comes with those nasty yellow w5w (194) bulbs in the center lights, so i replaced them with light blue LED's so now they match the outer HID's. Im gonna take more pics later with the matching mini bulbs. I hope they dont burn out, but they look DAMN good so far.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

PIAA and Phillips components are really really good stuff where'd you get them for $180? That sounds like a good deal to me. I found a cadillacs entire headlamp that came off in an accident and it had two projectors and one had hid bulb and the ballast and ignitor were phillips!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Dont know what they are like but someone mentioned Mydepots.com are sellingthem for $95.
http://www.mydepots.com/index.php?ma...aa66dc4e0e6abe

Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

They want 29.81 to ship to me here in Michigan in the US. Ouch on the shipping but good deal on the price of kit but if somekid got piaa and phillips components for 180 I'd pay the extra for the better names in hid technology! How'd you become acquanted with them buck???

Old 04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Read it on one of the Jag forums cant remember which one but I saved the link.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

Wish his shipping was a little cheaper, make it more justified to spend less money for no name!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM

I thought sport models came with HID's in the package??

Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

NO! I wish, everything that you really want for these cars is an option! Like when I was just pondering about getting one and checking them out I saw a few that I liked but realized quickly some things I wanted like: the trip odometer which alot of them didn't come with, cd player which I found some that didn't have them and had cassette and no changer???, heated seats, back-up sensors, sunroof (because the seats don't fold down without them) and a 3.0 not 2.5! The only things that drew me to my sport was the color, tint was already on, rims were different (wanted the aguilla's and still do!), sunroof, color of leather, sport has no chrome-only like chrome on the rims!, back-up sensors, 3.0 and the price! Later though I realized I didn't have heated seats which I really wanted but didn't even care or realize until after I bought it! I would have liked one with navigation, xenon's, and the 18's!!! When I was looking though I didn't really care about the sport vs. non sport but if it wasn't sport it better be fully loaded and a cheaper price! Here in Michigan it didn't seem like it mattered whether the car was sport or not they were all a little expensive!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I think we don't appreciate some things that our newer jags have. A couple things that are optional on new cars, have been standard on the Jags for a while. Leather Seats for one, isn't even standard on Benz's and Beemers! I'm unsure, but isn't the sunroof standard too!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I hear you on that, that's why I didn't list it in my needs because they come with leather but he sunroof isn't standard on our x's. Plus the x's with no sunroof the rear seats don't fold down either. But the jag does come standard with some nice stuff. Like the fact of the 3.0 engine. With the bmw and mercedes you either pay more for the engine or move up there pay scale for the model type to get the bigger engines. I hate how most bmw dont have dual exhaust instead they had it on one side with two pipes! The x comes standard now with cd, 3.0, leather, power seats, best hood ornament ( here in the u.s. anyways), and projectors. The bmw doesn't even come with projectors stock you have to pay for that and you either have regular lights or projectors with hids and angel eyes! Don't really pay too much attention to the mercedes as they are the worst vehicle of all (JD power I think were the people that did the study) as far as customer satisfaction and what not!!! Oh almost forgot the BEST PART OF THE X_TYPE~~~ It comes stock with all-wheel drive! BMW can't even touch that especially at the 34k starting price of the jag plus the sweet warranty and maintenance for free till 60k miles!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Come to think of it I thought the newer ones have automatic standard (whether that be good or bad automatic is usually more expensive and mb or bmw don't have them standard I don't think, I know bmw doesn't on there cheaper models.) Another option that I really wanted when I bought mine and I was making sure of was traction control, which without it the awd can still be dangerous in the snow. With the tc its horrible driver approved! Originally I figured "if it has awd you'll be all set" Well let me tell you that I would have been really upset if the car didn't have traction c after this winter with my x! The sport comes standard with traction control.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Damn. I really wish my baby had traction control and more power. But she drives great in the snow anyway, and thats already been established 1,000,000 times on this site. I really wanted a sport model, but at the time i bought mine they were all like 4-6g's more than a standard model so i had to settle because I didnt want the extra hundred a month on my payment. But i managed to turn my standard into one hell of a sporty ride with the wheel/tire and shock upgrade. Plus black and chrome look damn good together Until there is a 20+ hp kit i can get for a reasonable price ( - $1000) i'll never be 100% satisfied with my jag, but since the shocks and HID upgrade, im at about 90%.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hey somekidz you ever try hanging onto the brake and flooring the gas pedal until the cars suspension is loaded? Let me tell you compared to just flooring it it feels like the cars kind of launching when you do it?!!! The only thing I need other than rims, components, and a double din navigation unit is an exhaust! I love the growl the car gives when you accelerate I'd like to add to that a little with a borla! Right now though have many other things to do with my money!!! If you thought she drives good with having just awd let me tell you the difference between not having traction control on and off is HUGE!!! You turn the tc off and the thing will go crazy on some snow covered ice! You turn the tc on and dude no matter how hard you try to get the car to do anything like get the back end to come around to see the front the car corrects any imperfection by you! The only crappy part is (in my opinion) is the crappy abs system these cars have! I had a 94 bonneville that had better abs than my x but the awd is alot better than the bonneville!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Aquill, its not a good idea to hold the break and then floor it, it mite feel good at the time, but it really can damage ure car. if you had a manual, u would be able to make the back end slide with the tc on, all you have to do is drop it downa gear on a hard turn and i assure you if goin fast enough the tc wont help.

Quick Reply: HID kits?