X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Upgrade: Maxlux worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Upgrade: Maxlux worth it?

So I've read through the forums messages on HID upgrades. I really want to do it right, not necc. the cheapest way. Whenever I work on my headlights, the wife has to get involved because my big hands can't operate in the small area. Needless to say, the wife is not a fan of any car project so I don't want to get cheap ballasts, have them fail and then have to get the wife involved again. Far too costly if you know what I mean.

So my question, is the consensus that Maxlux makes some of the best kits out there?
I see one on Amazon for $150 I see one on Amazon for $150

I know that is quite a bit more that the Xentec kit, but I've read that Xentec can sometimes ship out faulty stuff.

Am I on the right track with Maxlux or am I just wasting my money?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Make sure you buy AC instead of DC. You will pay a little more for them but they are much better and will last longer. check out this link: The Truth You Must Know (About AC VS. DC HID KIT) : Mydepots Online, Tattoo Kit, Xenon HID Kit, DVR Surveillance System & Projector

Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have DDM Tuning. They've been lasting me since 2009. I have 55w 5K kit nice and white with no blue. Also have a 35w 4300k kit on fogs. I would recommend just taking off the bumper and then the headlights, it really is a lot easier and you most likely wont need your wife's help. I have on the headlights h.i.d cancelers/capacitors and a relay passenger side (US) running from the battery, just to make sure I have no problems.

DDM Tuning takes up to 2 weeks to get because it is drop shipped from china.
DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jac, having a bit of knowledge about electronics and whatnot, the site that you reference is kinda full of it. They are using a lot of scare tactics to make you want to buy their products. Their general statement about DC HID kits being illegal to use is complete @#$%^&*(. Look on the HID kit boxes, you will find DOT rating stamps on the kits. That makes them legal to use in the US on the roads. Now, you buy the 50W HID kits and those are illegal, but then, so are the AC kits too (too much light output). As for the DC kits forming hot spots and failing faster due to attracting all the ions to one post, keep in mind that you have a neutral gas in their, you excite it and break it up into a positively charged ion (gets attracted to the negative post), but the excited electron gets sent to the positive post. The same thing happens inside of the AC unit, just in that case, it is reversing itself periodically and the ions end up going to both posts.

The quality of the kit may be a bit better because they are adding an additional stage (ie, converting the DC to an AC signal) and therefore can provide more regulation, but that all assumes that they decided to put that into their kit. Without looking at the specs and diagrams for the various kits, theirs can be just as poorly made as the "cheapo ebay kits" that they complain about.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Go for the Maxlux, I had plenty of issues with the cheap ones on eBay and solved them with Maxlux ballasts. I have 4 ballasts (low beams and fogs) and all have been going strong for over 4 months now.

You can cheap out on the bulbs by getting some cheap ones from eBay, but I would do the ballasts right the first time.

You may have already come across my write up on the experience I had changing my lights, but if not check it out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...version-80125/

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

I did end up going Maxlux and I def read your post, it's the reason I sprung for the TGP relay!

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Go for the Maxlux, I had plenty of issues with the cheap ones on eBay and solved them with Maxlux ballasts. I have 4 ballasts (low beams and fogs) and all have been going strong for over 4 months now.

You can cheap out on the bulbs by getting some cheap ones from eBay, but I would do the ballasts right the first time.

You may have already come across my write up on the experience I had changing my lights, but if not check it out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...version-80125/

Good luck!