X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

No the car was std and only have the dyno after the quads fitted.There was the option of a cat back system but price was unreasonable and I was only after the looks.Other option was sound but wanted to keep it towards the "quiet" end on the sliding scale offered.The exhaust company said I would be lucky to see more than a couple of extra BHP which wasnt an issue as it was only looks that I was after.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
No the car was std and only have the dyno after the quads fitted.There was the option of a cat back system but price was unreasonable and I was only after the looks.Other option was sound but wanted to keep it towards the "quiet" end on the sliding scale offered.The exhaust company said I would be lucky to see more than a couple of extra BHP which wasnt an issue as it was only looks that I was after.

And the quad tips look great! mission accomplished!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Exhaust

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
AWD saps the power
Mine was rolling roaded at 241BHP and only 182 BHP at the wheels (fully serviced etc etc)
Watch the rolling road vid on You Tube with results....
YouTube - Jaguar X Type 3.0 ltr with Quad exhaust Dyno Run
This is remarkable, yesterday I was scroll thru You Tube on my HD TV and found the clip. Sounds amazing. Good Job.

Back in the old days, My friend and I would take a muffler off a car, cut it open and removed some baffles, then welder the muffler back together. Work OK, but not as nice as this.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I'm late to the party, but the terms 'horsepower' and 'brake horsepower' used purely in that manner are pretty meaningless. Proper terminology would be to state gross, net or rear wheel horsepower which are the three most common terms on the auto industry.

Gross is typically a 'bare engine' sitting on a dyno with measurements taken at the flywheel. The engine is not typically equipped with any accessories, air cleaner or exhaust system that would be present in the actual car. This method was used in the heyday of the US muscle cars and gave unrealistically inflated horsepower figures as compared to today's numbers. An aftermarket crate engine is typically still rated by this standard.

Net horsepower or 'SAE Net' as it's sometimes called came into use in the early 70s and is similar to the above excepting that all acessories and production intake and exhaust system are in place. This give a much more realistic idea of the 'as installed' horsepower rating of a car and can be a value that 25-30% lower than gross for the same engine.

Rear wheel horsepower (RWHP) is just that- it measures horsepower as transmitted to the road surface via the tires. As it measured after the transmission, trans axle, differential, wheel bearings etc, etc., it is the most realistic of all measurements. Being that there is considerable power lost to friction and heat in this process, the RWHP figure is always the lowest and the one that most people don't like tpo boast about.

The term 'brake' is redundant and today is used mostly in the UK. To measure the horsepower or torque of an engine, a device or brake must be employed to resist or absorb that force- the water or electric types are most common today.