X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower CHIP ?!.. could be>?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower CHIP ?!.. could be>?

Ok so most things people buy off ebay for PERFORMANCE are junk! Most chips go through your IAT sensor, which seems to be a rip off and a foolish way to trick your engine...then I came across this on ebay. Its called a VOLI obd-II chip? Ok so here is my question. Is this legit? It doesn't seem like a cheap resistor, or chip that fools your IAT..here is a link to some info, take a look and give me some feedback on what you think! Thanks a lot in advance guys this is my first post!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_4563wt_941

Old 04-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Twalls226
Ok so most things people buy off ebay for PERFORMANCE are junk! Most chips go through your IAT sensor, which seems to be a rip off and a foolish way to trick your engine...then I came across this on ebay. Its called a VOLI obd-II chip? Ok so here is my question. Is this legit? It doesn't seem like a cheap resistor, or chip that fools your IAT..here is a link to some info, take a look and give me some feedback on what you think! Thanks a lot in advance guys this is my first post!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_4563wt_941
I want you to try it and report back. I'm almost willing to chip in. I've read every feedback this guy has and concluded there must be something behind it. Everything else seems like snake oil though.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to try and do a bit more research, but for an EBAY performance mod, it actually seems legit! Thanks and hope to get more feedback from everyone!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Looking at the dyno graphs from the various vehicles that they installed this on, almost all of the gain is in the upper 20% of the RPM band. Ok, what good is that. How often are you up near redline? I know I only hit there once in a blue moon. The other times the gains are very minimal when it comes to power. For the most part, all they are doing is advancing the timing slightly to get slightly better power out of the engine. All the factory ECU's are conservatively tuned to match what the majority of people drive like. If you start advancing the timing and whatnot, sure, you can squeak a few more ponies out of the motor. Nothing special about that.

I personally would not buy a product like that as the gains that you are going to see on a day to day basis are going to be very small and probably not even noticeable. As for them saying that it will not void the warrantee, I would do a lot of asking around at your dealership. With the recent changes to laws, a lot of people are getting their warrantees voided for silly stuff (new muffler, the IAT resistors, etc). If you don't have a warrantee to worry about, then not an issue. But, if you do, see what the dealership says and if they say "not a problem", tell them to put it in writing and see what the story is then.