Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Horsepower Question

I have seen things where the HP of the 3.0 engine is listed at 231 HP and it seems in later years that it is 227 HP. Just wondering if anyone knows why the number was changed.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't say for sure, but I would suspect it has to do with SAE modifying the testing procedures for determining horsepower in the US sometime around 2005.
Essentially they got stricter, and more precise about defining how the engine should be tested - more reflective of its operation as installed in the vehicle, and fuel type used etc.

Some companies were testing "ringers" and / or were leaving parasitic equipment off the engines under test. Most Japanese manufacturers saw their HP numbers drop significantly after the change for example.

Most manufacturers HP numbers changed around this period in time, although the actual engines remained identical.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...olution-column

Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy94SC
Most Japanese manufacturers saw their HP numbers drop significantly after the change for example.
They also lost a lot of their epa mileage with this change

Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

UK was always 231 BHP
US was 227 BHP
Think they are measured differently????

Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if they started to list HP at the wheels, instead of at the flywheel? Much more of a real-world useful measure IMHO>

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
UK was always 231 BHP
US was 227 BHP
Think they are measured differently????
Maybe British horses are stronger than American horses.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Maybe British horses are WEAKER than American horses.
Fixed...

that's why they need 231 to do the same work as our 227....

Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
maybe british horses are stronger than american horses.
lol!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

anubody knows how to impruve Hp. with some chip or....?
only not with some air filters 400, 500, 700 $$$$$$$$$

Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Tony, really, with our cars, upping the power too much is not a good idea. The transfer case will see more stress and can cost you a lot more than the fun of having a faster car. Probably dollar for dollar, your best bet is to look at the exhaust system and start there. Sure, you can get a new computer chip, but I think the gains you will see from that are going to be very minimal as the computer is already tuned for premium fuel (where most chips get the power gains). Beyond that, you will need to do a lot of research as the performance mods for our cars are very limited, so, you are looking at a lot of custom work which therefore means, big dollar amounts.

If you want a fast car, I recommend getting a classic car and playing with that. For what you would drop into your car to make it perform a little better, you can get a classic to do the same. That way, should one car leave you somewhere, you have a second to keep you on the road.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I remember reading a while back that the way HP is calcuated change. Makes sense. Thanks for the comments.

As for power upgrades, like Thermo said, good luck with that. A simple search on here will tell you all you need to know on that. Would be nice, but not practical. I love a quick car as much as anyone, but I have to say I don't think the X is lacking in power as it is, at least in the 3.0 liter version and especially with a manual. Maybe not as quick as a comparable Audi or BMW, but in real world driving, styling, foul weather ability, practicality and overall mpg I could not be happier with it.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:41 AM

ok guys . thanks for rpl. I was just thinking maybe 10-20Hp only
I read on UK FORUM about some chips they put in into deasel jaguars
and they gain 25-33 Hp. AHA WHAT NOW hahahaha...

what you think about this guys.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Is your Jag a Diesel?....

There is nothing I know of short of reprogramming the ECU that can be added to the Gasoline Engine for the X type..The in-line IAT resistor is just tom foolery and the Throttle body turbo thingy is useless..so live with what you got..you may get a better breathing exhaust and intake, but the gains are only minimal at best.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Tony, there is tons of info on here about performance chips-that's been asked almost since day one. From what I have seen the best option for that is an Arden chip, but you have to send yours and have it programmed to, I believe Germany. And it's very expensive, like $1500 I think. There might be another option or two someone could chime in with, but generally speaking it's not worth it for whatever perceived gains you might get. In short, there is no magic bullet. I have done the K&N and the Borla mufflers on my car and can't say that it really improved performance any, but I really wasn't expecting it to. Does sound nicer though (and looks better to me) and that is all I was really looking for. There are a few mods you can to to the suspension (again, an easy search here and you can find out all about those), but the options there are pretty limited as well for bolt on type stuff. Other than that, it is what it is. Not sure what engine you have, but if you have a 2.5 automatic the most cost effective way to get more power and still retain reliability is get a 3.0 Sport model with a manual transmission. To me, there is a night and day difference in the way those car drive. Really opened my eyes when I was first looking.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Tony, the chips for diesels and the chips for gas engines are based on completely different things. The gains you hear for a diesel do not correspond to the same sort of gain for a gas engine. It is in the principle of how a diesel engine works that they can get those big of gains. Also, talk to those diesel guys and ask them what their mileage goes to when they start using that power. Single digits easy. I know with the full size ford trucks, you use a chip and then stomp on the gas, you can get the mileage down to 2 mpg. You get to 60 mph quick, but at a price.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Overall I would say the MPG is no worse with my chip on my 2.7 TD XJ6 (better when not flooring it and never had the car messaging unit get anywhere near single digits when foot down as you get up to speed so quickly) and the extra power really is very noticeable.
A big problem with the X Type is the cats are angled and near a lot of heat sapping a lot of power
If you could decat your car and do the free airbox mod on the jaguarmotorsport website you would probably get the extra 10-20 BHP.Also cleaning the TB for maybe 10HP is in the link below.
As always though the extra power isnt cumulative.
http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...t-breathe.html
http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...breathing.html

There is also a free mod to the exhaust here
http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...6174911-1.html

Good luck and dont forget the dyno before and after if you can if you do these!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Snockyunlossy
Its good to hear that Infiniti has started understanding that high horsepower figures are one thing, actual acceleration is another. bookmark
how did this spam go unoticed ???

Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks Strate, he's no longer a member

Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 85_305
They also lost a lot of their epa mileage with this change
That was actually a seperate situation, but true.

The majority of Japanese vehicles EPA ratings went down when the fuel economy testing procedure was tightened up similar to how the HP rating procedure was. They were seperate procedures, with updates at different times, but the result was the same - egg on the face of the same people.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM

HI GUYS , THANKS to everyone for all that, it is really interesting how many ideas you have guys. I think , I will stay with what I have............for now
THANKS AGAIN and mine is 2.5L - X - '03 with "K&N FILTER"

I notice the change in the power only when I switch from regular gasoline to premium (I didn't know I was supposed to use premium. I've been useing regular for several years with no problems except for a lazy car.)

PS> I will need to repleace my oil pan gasket (small drops) but when I read one post about how they did that by making a hole through the transfer case corner to reach the hidden bolt, I didn't get it. Does anyone have any pictures of that hole, where it is exactly,, and what it looks like. Please help me, that is my biggest problem because I don't think to destroy the bottom of my car because of a gasket ($35).

Last edited by tony; 01-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Question