X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hose leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose leak?

Two days ago ago car hesitated and the check engine light came on, but car ran fine.
Codes P0171, P0174 and P1582 were read. light reset and all seemed fine.
Last night same thing happened, light came on, and I noticed the brake pedal
really became hard.
I'm guessing that there is a leak in the booster vacuum line responsible for both problems. Does this sound reasonable?
Also, the part # is C2S 17552 for a replacement hose and I'm wondering if this is all I need to replace the hose? Does the hose just pull out on both ends?
One end looks like a ribbed fitting and would probably be a tight fit. The other is smaller and pretty straight so does it need anything special?
Today I pumped the pedal trying to make it as hard as possible, then with my foot on the pedal started the engine. The pedal did lower when the engine was running and so looked like the booster was working, so it must me an intermittent problem. May try to temporary tape up the check valve up to see if it could be the source of the leak before buying a new hose.
I have a 2005 x type with 29000 miles on it.
(Not sure this posted first try) Appreciate any insight!!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

tome, before you just go replacing things, I would say based on what you are seeing, that you have a different hose issue. Remove the cover off the top of the engine and look between the right side of the engine and the intake tube. If you look, there should be a black hose about the size of your thumb in diameter there that runs from the front valve cover to the intake (just downstream of the 90 degree bend). Remove one end of that tube and look at the back side of that tube. Is it split? If so, you need a new PCV hose, not the brake booster hose. You will still want to look at the brake booster hose (specifically the "football" in the center of the line) to make sure that the plastic is in good condtion (no cracks and the plastic is not turning to dust when you rub it). The last check I would do is to take a little bit of starter fluid and if you look at the passenger side of the intake, you will notice 2 large, black plastic pieces on the end of the intake. Use the starter fluid and squirt just a little bit on to the seam where it meets up with the intake. Did the engine RPMs rise when you sprayed there? If yes, then the o-ring is leaking and you need new IMT o-rings.

P0171 and P0174 are both codes to indicate that you have a vacuum leak with your intake. The P1582 is a flight recorder code to say that the computer recorded some data when your car stumbled which if you take the car to a dealership, they can download the data and tell you a lot about what the engine was doing at that moment.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Default Hose leak??

thermo,
Thanks for your reply,
Will do as you suggest but I did hear a hissing sound on the vacuum booster hose as I put my hand around the check valve. It was flakey and was the
source of the hissing. So I wanted to replace it before proceeding with the PVC hose and your suggestions.
I have a new assembly for replacing the hose. Wwhen trying tp remove the old hose I ran into a problem. The large end popped right out of the booster housing but the small end would not come out but broke leaving some in the manifold. It looked like an o ring? and possibly another insert of brass? is on the manifold port. The tech where I bought the hose told me it was supposed to just pop out but that obviously didn't work. Now I have a piece of the hose
in the manifold below the rubber o-ring looking device.
How can I remove these pieces??
Thqnks for any help!!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

tome, what I would say to try is to take a wood screw and put that into the piece that is broken off and get the screw started into it (don't go too much into it, just need enough to grab on to it). From there, you should be able to push down on the plastic ring that is still in the manifold and then use the screw to pull the broken piece off. From there, you can pull out the piece that you held down initially. This is how you normally remove that piece.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Default Hose Leak?

Hi again,

While trying to remove the broken off piece of hose I lost it into the intake manifold! Ugh!! Probably lost the oring also since I don't see it.
So I installed the new hose in the bushing and started the engine which runs
normally, at least for now. Break booster also working.
So what do you think will happen to the lost plastic piece? Though of taking off
the intake manifold but looks like a major job.
Also, will a code reset itself when the air leak is sealed or does it require a manual reset?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Default Hose Leak?

To answer my own question..I started the car today and the engine check light was off so I guess it reset! Great.
The PVC hose seem to be OK.
Took me awhile to figure out the engine cover was actually the hood.
I thought maybe "Bonnet" meant the hood. LOL

Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

tome, odds are, the plastic piece is still floating around inside the intake as the ports pull off the top half of the intake. Granted, with as small as the piece is, it may make its way through the engine. hard to say.

To remove the intake is not that bad. The big thing is getting at the 2 bolts on the back side of the intake holding the wiring harness in place. It will require a 10mm wrench to get them off. They are just in a bad location and as long as you are able to get your hand back there, it isn't too bad. Probably take you about 45 minutes to get the top half of the manifold off and another 30-45 minutes to get it back on. The big thing is to not disconnect the two hoses going to the throttle body. You can simply rotate the intake on those hoses. If you disconnect those hoses, you are draining the cooling system and then you have a lot more work on your hands.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tome64
thermo,
Thanks for your reply,
Will do as you suggest but I did hear a hissing sound on the vacuum booster hose as I put my hand around the check valve. It was flakey and was the
source of the hissing. So I wanted to replace it before proceeding with the PVC hose and your suggestions.
I have a new assembly for replacing the hose. Wwhen trying tp remove the old hose I ran into a problem. The large end popped right out of the booster housing but the small end would not come out but broke leaving some in the manifold. It looked like an o ring? and possibly another insert of brass? is on the manifold port. The tech where I bought the hose told me it was supposed to just pop out but that obviously didn't work. Now I have a piece of the hose
in the manifold below the rubber o-ring looking device.
How can I remove these pieces??
Thqnks for any help!!
Dang. Sorry I didn't see the post before you proceeded. To remove the brake booster hose from the manifold, you push down on the collar holding it while pulling up on the hose. Sorry. That should be in a sticky somewhere.