X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to change oil filter?

Does anybody know how to change an oil filter? My brother purchased some castrol synthetic oil that came with a K&N Oil Filter I would like to put into my car. I just don't know how or where it is lol. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

have you ever changed the oil on any car?

Pretty easy. First drain the old oil. Remove the air dam near the bottom of the tranny. It is held on with one bolt. With a suitable catch container - and some rags and I usually spread newspaper or cardboard around the catch can - remove the oil drain plug bolt. Off the top of my head I think it's around a 13 to 15mm.

While the oil is draining, move toward the front of the vehicle and look up right behind the bumper and right over the exhaust downpipe from the cat converter. You will see the filter pointing down toward you. Loosen the filter, hopefully by hand. If you can't get it by hand then you may wish to try a strap wrench or oil filter wrench. (note - the great thing about the K&N is the nut welded to the top).

Then, once the filter is loose but before it is off, reinstall the oil drain plug and the air dam. Then take the box the oil filter came in and cut it in half and place it over the top of the exhaust pipe. this will help deflect the draining oil into the catch container and not on the pipe. (optional step, obviously). Position the catch container, then remove the oil filter and drain it into the can.

Clean around the filter mounting surface with a clean, lint free rag. Take the new filter and with your finger apply a film of clean oil around the rubber seal. Fill the new filter about 1/3 to 1/2 way with fresh oil. Re-install.

Remove the oil cap and dump in 6 quarts and check the dipstick after a few minutes. Add as needed. I like to bring mine up just shy of the max area, you don't want to overfill.

Start the car, let it idle and check for leaks.