X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep the interior clean/in good shape, including plastic

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to keep the interior clean/in good shape, including plastic

I recently bought an X-type, and based on the many cars I saw while looking, it seems our interiors don’t wear very well. So I’m wondering what I can do help my interior lasts as long as possible.
What I particularly noticed was dirty and worn leather seats and also plastic on the dashboard and steering wheel. Seat staining/wear was usually worst on the upper bolster by the driver’s door, and both lower bolsters. I didn’t notice any particular common problem areas for the plastic, though on my steering wheel, along the slight edge where the air bag cover drops down to meet the jaguar badge in the center, there is a thin dark ring.

I’ve learned a bit from searching, for instance that I probably can’t lose using Autoglym or Gliptone for the leather. What I’m hoping other members can help with are three questions: (1) how to clean the plastic, (2) advice not re. making it look great tomorrow, but making sure that 50,000 miles/80,000km later, I can still make it look almost as good as it does now, and (3) what to do when someone makes a new stain with food, mud, etc. – wait until it can be properly cleaned with the right products, or use some “leather wipe” (e.g. Sonnax products seem to have a good reputation), or …

Also, it might be a lot easier for me to buy whatever cleaning products the Jaguar dealer sells than to buy things like Gliptone, which I don’t think are available locally. Anyone have any experience with Jaguar’s cleaning products?

I should note that while I park indoors, I don’t have a garage where I can wash it myself. So I take it to (hand) car washes, and my influence on how they wash the car is limited to choice of car wash, and giving them products to use. If compatible with keeping the car in good shape in the long-term, I’d be happy to have it washed no more than once every two months. Of course, I can sometimes do things that do not require water myself. Also, my interior is beige (“Champaign”). However, while I’m obviously interested in advice tailored to my circumstances, I’d certainly appreciate any advice about my three questions above – as I’m sure would other readers of this thread.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have just got an X type jag...waited 40 years to get one!!, with regard to the line on the steering wheel, Try a very small amount of WD40 and a soft toothbrush, wiping freguently. It dissolves dirt and it sometimes is a quick solution for small areas. Finish off with a soft cloth. With regard the plastic, I generally use a soft nailbrush and a high quality shampoo such as meguiars gold class shampoo. You can use this on the bodywork exterior with a sheepskin glove. Once the plastic is dry, I use Armorall protectant gloss finish. You wipe it on in even strokes with a lint free cloth and let it dry. It dries to a high shine but don't use it on the steering wheel as it makes it slippy when driving. We have yet to clean our champagne interior as we've only had the car for a few weeks but we are looking round for a good interior shampoo as some of them leave the fabric sticky when it is dry and it feels uncomfortable. The material in our car is a bit like velour but once we find something we could let you know. The meguiars gold class shampoo used to come with a special hand held gun which hooks up to your hosepipe but I don't know whether they still sell them. The final rinse gives your car a nice gloss finish which makes water bead and it looks great after it has dried and been wiped with a proper shammy.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, congrats on the X type....

Re the interior....

Leather - I've just been through this and used Autoglym cleaner and then leather balm, my interior wasn't absolutely filthy, just needed a little cleaning.
My sons X type with Beige leather is a lot worse and will benefit from the same treatment.

A fairly liberal spray of the Autoglym leather cleaner worked in with a small nailbrush ( using very light pressure ) to agitate, then followed by a wipe with a clean microfibre. The dirt will soon lift off....

We used this method very successfully, then added the leather balm and worked in, allowed to soak in so to speak then a light buff and bam, good as new......

Any areas that are worn will require a touch up with something like gliptone of leather repair kits that are available.

Assuming your dash / plastics aren't terrible a wipe down with Autoglym vinyl & rubber on a clean microfibre will do the trick. It leaves a non greasy / non shiny matt finish and a lovely lemon smelling fragrance.

Use this on your dash, centre console, plastics and door rubbers etc etc etc......you will love it.

Good luck

Sonax full effect wheal cleaner or Pinnaclwax advanced wheel cleaner concentrate will sortyour alloys and you won't look back

The following users liked this post:
newtojags (08-01-2014)