X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you upgrade the stock cd player?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default How would you upgrade the stock cd player?

Hello, I am wanting to maybe upgrade my stock cd player, mainly because I would like to hook up an mp3 player, and possibly get a pop-out touch screen. My main question is how would you connect an aftermarket stereo receiver I guess they're called, to the wiring? Would it just fit right in and connect up with a plug harness? I found a sick stereo on amazon for $150 that has what I was looking for. I thought a system like that would be more like $500 or $600. If I can install it myself I can easily afford it, and I was thinking maybe replacing the stock speakers with some sweet Kicker or JBL speakers of the same size, if that would help with bass and stuff. I like how the stock stereo sounds, it's nice, but something a little louder would be cool too. Maybe put an 10" speaker and amp in the trunk? But I went to Best Buy and lifted one up and it must've weighed 100 pounds... Not sure if I want to lug a big heavy speaker around everywhere considering the gas mileage and performance. Bass would be nice though... Maybe one of those canister tube bass speakers might not be as heavy. But for now I was just thinking of upgrading the receiver so I could play mp3's and maybe dvd's for fun.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Ok I found this adapter plate and wiring harnesses for the x-type on ebay for $40:

Radio Stereo Installation Dash Kit Combo SD DD Gray Wire Harness Antenna J1 | eBay

How would you connect the wires though? Would you have to solder them?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the premium stereo or navigation? If it's the base stereo with non nav it's a simple process which I just did(you can see my post here on the forums). If you have the stock touch screen it's a whole nother story and complicated from what I have heard

Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

It is not difficult if you have the aftermarket wiring harnesses, they are plug and play if you buy the aftermarket kits

The following users liked this post:
04xtype04 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM

On the harness it looks like one end is a plug and the other end is just a bunch of loose wires. Do you plug these wires in somewhere or have to solder them to the factory wires or what? Thanks

Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
On the harness it looks like one end is a plug and the other end is just a bunch of loose wires. Do you plug these wires in somewhere or have to solder them to the factory wires or what? Thanks
The loose ends will connect to your aftermarket head unit harness wires, basically the aftermarket kit allows you to just plug in the aftermarket head unit directly to the stock wiring so you dont have to splice into it. So technically you don't need it but I change my mind frequently so I like the option of easy removal.

I chose to do the electrical tape method with my wires and they hold up just fine. I do each one individually and then bundle them together for a nice and tight look and feel. You can solder them for a better connection I just never had the patience for it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM

Ah ok... So you connect the wire harness wires to the stereo then the stereo can clip into the factory stereo plug. Hmmm interesting. Wondering if it's a job I can do myself, with the faceplate kit and all that. I do have a soldering iron and am pretty good with working on cars. Not sure how hard of a job it would be though. Is getting the stereo seated in the console difficult? Is it a job you did yourself or did you have a shop do it?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Ah ok... So you connect the wire harness wires to the stereo then the stereo can clip into the factory stereo plug. Hmmm interesting. Wondering if it's a job I can do myself, with the faceplate kit and all that. I do have a soldering iron and am pretty good with working on cars. Not sure how hard of a job it would be though. Is getting the stereo seated in the console difficult? Is it a job you did yourself or did you have a shop do it?
I have always done it myself in all my cars, its super easy, this car is one of the easier ones I have gotten into for installing a stereo

Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Oh wow cool. Is it much different installing a unit with a touch screen, such as the "double din" size? Is it just a matter of connecting the right wires together to the harness and plugging it in? I would love to have the option of playing mp3's and movies and plugging in a phone or something to the axillary port to play music... I found this unit on Amazon for $160. Any recommendations as to what stereo to get? I am trying to keep the price lower but I don't want junk either.

Amazon.com: Power Acoustik PTID-8920B In-Dash DVD AM/FM Receiver with 7-Inch Flip-Out Touchscreen Monitor and USB/SD Input: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Power Acoustik PTID-8920B In-Dash DVD AM/FM Receiver with 7-Inch Flip-Out Touchscreen Monitor and USB/SD Input: Car Electronics