X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

humming noise at higher speeds, is it the TC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default humming noise at higher speeds, is it the TC?

Hi guys my 02 has 90k on the clock, i had the TC rebuilt just outta warranty with 50+k on it and lately i'm hearing a whining gearlike hum when going above 40mph, it does it when i accelerate but when off the gas it stops... i'm praying my TC isnt acting up again. Ive read all the posts about changing out the fluids and i want to give that a shot, i see that the kit that Wild Bill makes gets good reviews but i dont want to drive the car to worsen things and cant be without a car till it arrives. Is there another way to do the change? can i tilt the car to the the fluid levels high enough? thanks

Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the fluid out is the easy part. It's getting it back in that is tricky. The car would have to be sitting on its side but then the fluid may just leak out the vent at the top. So it's pointless - gravity plays a big part here. Maybe he can over noght the kit to you?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you know if you have the orginal propshaft? If the hum seems like it's coming from the rear, there was an old TSB about the propshaft being out of balance causing a hum from the rear diff at higher speeds. Solution was added weight to the rear diff case. If it's more central, perhaps the propshaft center bearing. More towards the front, then how did your TC sound before it crapped out the first time?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:58 PM

wow that much of an angle huh, i sent Bill a PM but no response yet. problem is i have a lot of driving to do this weekend so i was hoping to change it tomorrow. When i had it rebuilt a few years back it was becasue the bearing was shredded and it sounded like a grinding noise. Much different from this noise. Its def not coming from the rear, it sounds more front/center, there are no vibrations just this mild gearlike whine when i push the gas... Either way i should change the fuild and see if that helps.

What did people do prior to this kit? i saw an old post where someone used a ball valve, i think i could probably pick up those parts at my local shop and recreate that but what happens when you unscrew it? i assume you'll loose a lot of fluid before you can get it sealed again?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to rain your parade, but if the sound comes from your TC, it's too late to change the fluid.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Matl, are you near a dealership? An experienced Jag tech should go for a spin with you.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Matl, are you near a dealership? An experienced Jag tech should go for a spin with you.
yeah not too far, are they willing to do that without taking the car in and carging for labor? I'm always skeptical though, when i had it rebuilt jag originally wanted to replace it for 3k+. I'll try to see if i can capture the sound on video and post it.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by matl

What did people do prior to this kit? i saw an old post where someone used a ball valve, i think i could probably pick up those parts at my local shop and recreate that but what happens when you unscrew it? i assume you'll loose a lot of fluid before you can get it sealed again?
can anyone shed some light on this? i would like to do the flush and i still havent heard back from wild bill thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matl
yeah not too far, are they willing to do that without taking the car in and carging for labor? I'm always skeptical though, when i had it rebuilt jag originally wanted to replace it for 3k+. I'll try to see if i can capture the sound on video and post it.
It is doubtful they actually rebuilt your TC. The X-Type TC is "Sealed for Life", and it is not meant to be rebuilt, even by your dealer's mechanics.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sevren
It is doubtful they actually rebuilt your TC. The X-Type TC is "Sealed for Life", and it is not meant to be rebuilt, even by your dealer's mechanics.
A local shop did it that i've was going to for years, they took it appart and replaced the bearings with aftermarket bearins since jag doesnt sell them. unfortunately they have moved and are no long near me.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TC Noise & Fluid Change

Matl,

I have not received any PM's or emails from you.

I suggest that you drain & refill the TC fluid as a first step. However, I do not recommend the "tilt-the-car" or "guess-that's-the-right-amount" fluid change. Too much is a problem as is too little fluid.

Email me at wbeau@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to help you with y0our TC fluid change. Another thing you might want to do is grease the center bearing on the pilot shaft using a grease needle in a hand pump grease gun. Cheap insurance against a failed ilot shaft bearing

Wild Bill