X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have HID lights, can a non HID assembly work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have HID lights, can a non HID assembly work?

hi everyone, i just purchased a jaguar xtype and the driver side headlight assembly is broken. since the car was involve in an accident the headlight is pretty loose from the inside. i have HIDs, the lights work and all when the car is parked, until i drive it and hit those bumpy streets. the light flickers a lot since since its loose, my question is...would a non hid headlight assembly work on my hid lights?? regarding connectors and the positioning of the ballast. thanks

Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

djaguar, unfortunately, no, the non-hid headlight assembly is missing an internal ground wire that would prevent the HID ballast from getting power.

The best advice that I can give you is to look on e-bay and there are sellers there that sell the pieces that you need to fix your headlight. It will run you about $60 as I recall to get the new mounts, but once you are done, your headlight assembly will be like new.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Ya swapped my composites for HIDs this weekend. all went well but totally broke the EXTREMELY fragile adjustment screws on the left side and the light just sits in there...debating on baking the head lights and gooping them back together or getting an all new headlight...le sigh...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I had to fix one of mine, it was a non-HID setup. The process wasn't that bad but separating the lens from the back of the headlight assembly is a huge PITA. I wouldn't recommend baking it as I would be concerned with warping the plastic, but a good hair dryer that can get really hot is a useful tool to loosen the glue.

Check out this kit:

Jaguar x Type x Type Headlamp Headlight Repair Kit Adjuster | eBay

I bought from that seller and was impressed with the quality. These parts are also reinforced with metal and have metal ends unlike the Jag parts which are all brittle plastic.

I opted to buy the set of two in case my other light ever breaks. I would also caution anyone who attempts this to be very careful removing the old part so you don't damage the pieces you need to reuse.

The following users liked this post:
bracester (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by emaraszek
I had to fix one of mine, it was a non-HID setup. The process wasn't that bad but separating the lens from the back of the headlight assembly is a huge PITA. I wouldn't recommend baking it as I would be concerned with warping the plastic, but a good hair dryer that can get really hot is a useful tool to loosen the glue.

Check out this kit:

Jaguar x Type x Type Headlamp Headlight Repair Kit Adjuster | eBay

I bought from that seller and was impressed with the quality. These parts are also reinforced with metal and have metal ends unlike the Jag parts which are all brittle plastic.

I opted to buy the set of two in case my other light ever breaks. I would also caution anyone who attempts this to be very careful removing the old part so you don't damage the pieces you need to reuse.

That is awesome didn't know that kit existed! Now I just need to make space in the budget for $50

Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Lol nevermind find em from the same dude for $25...buying now...

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
djaguar, unfortunately, no, the non-hid headlight assembly is missing an internal ground wire that would prevent the HID ballast from getting power.

The best advice that I can give you is to look on e-bay and there are sellers there that sell the pieces that you need to fix your headlight. It will run you about $60 as I recall to get the new mounts, but once you are done, your headlight assembly will be like new.
Thermo, thanks i will look into it, the price is not that bad, i will order them and will try to install them this weekend. Thanks again for your help.