X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Idle Problem

Hey all, having a problem with my X, been driving her regularly for about 5 months now with no problems at all, no issues, noises etc. Took her down to the shopping mall and parked her, when I got back, started her up and all seemed well until she started idling, sounded like a backfire in the engine bay and she just cut out. No error lights flashing on the dash with errror or anything. Plugged an ELM327 obd2 thingy in and checked to see if it threw any codes, nothing. I drove it back with my foot constantly on the accelerator and when driving it runs fine. When I stop to put her in reverse or drive etc, it makes the sound and cuts out.

Car is a 2005 X-type 2.0 V6 petrol automatic.

I will post a video of the problem to Youtube and link it here if that will help give a better picture of my problem.

Any advice or help in anyway would be appreciated.

Oh the only thing I noticed is that the coolant was low... (dont know if this has any impact on the situation)

Last edited by Squirrell; 10-12-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Unlike the 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines, the 2.0 liter petrol engine has an Idle Speed Control Valve. It sounds like you have a problem with yours. Another potential cause would be a blocked air filter. With any idle problem you should get either a P0506 or P0507 code. These are EOBD codes, not Jaguar specific, so you should pick them up with your scanner, but I suggest you check out your I C Valve and air filter anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by astromorg:
Lcgi (10-13-2014), Squirrell (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the info, will check the air filter and I C Valve this evening after work, is there anything in particular I should be looking for (common problems you know of) with the valve? Will try reading the codes again with a different scanner and see what I can pick up.

Will post an update after I have checked. Thanks again for the info, much appreciated!!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Ok so I checked the I C Valve, it didn't seem dirty or anything so I cleaned it out etc and replaced it. When I started the car with the ICV disconnected, it idled around 500 however it did not cut out. When i reconnected the ICV the revs went up to around 750 and after a while of idling the car cut out... I also noticed the car would suddenly cut out under "heavy" acceleration...

Checked and cleaned the air filter (was not very dirty but blew out a bit of dust etc)

Circled is the ICV (from what I can gather )

The inside of the valve (looks cleanish but blew it out a wiped it clean with spray)

Checked obd codes again, still showing nothing, checked codes while ICV disconnected to see if the scanner was reading and it showed the P0511 coed for IAC error.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

So the valve internals are clean, but the it may still not be operating correctly electrically.

Interestingly Jaguar do not list P0511, only P0506 and 7 and list the possible causes as

Air intake restriction
Accessory drive overload
(defective / seized component)
Idle speed control valve drive circuit(s): open
circuit, short circuit, high resistance
Idle speed control valve stuck closed
Idle speed control valve failure

and

Idle speed control valve drive circuit(s): short
circuit to high voltage
Idle speed control valve stuck open
Idle speed control valve failure

The two wires to the ICV are not regular voltage wires; they carry a PWM signal so checking that is not straightforward. The odds are that your valve has given up!

Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 AM

Hi guys, just an update to the problem I was having. Eventually gave up the self diagnosis and took the jag to an Auto Electrical shop and they discovered the alternator was overcharging and pushing out around 18v and this was kicking the management system off and the car kept cutting out. So the solution was to replace the alternator and all is good. Replaced battery too and no more problems Thanks for the help and will be back for any future problems etc that may arise