X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Sub and AMP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Sub and AMP

I posted this in the audio section, but i thought the X-type section possibly could have more info on just the x-type set up.
Well i am really interested in adding a Sub and an Amp to my 2003 X-type. I have never messed with car speakers before, and i want to make this a great experience. It is either I do it myself, or do not do it at all. But i have some idea of how I am going to do this.
I will need to buy and Amp and a Sub from best buy or wherever. Run a power cable to the battery from the trunk, how exactly will I go about this? And run a speaker cable from the sub or amp to the jaguar head unit? Do i need any adapters? I also read somewhere that I could combine the wires with the wires from the read speakers and use them for the audio signal. I need some infromation on this topic guys. Also lets just say, I am trying to do this in the least amount of money possible Will i need to buy any adapters from the internet? Does anyone have a tutorial i can follow?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Installing Sub and AMP

I did exactly what you did, except, i bought the amp and sub as one unit, infinity 400watts. easy hook up and no bs.

Tapped it to one of the wires located in the truck, so when the car was on, amp was on, when car was off, amp was off.....it was great.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Just some ideas depending on what setup you choose.

If your gonna run your amp wires to the trunk from your head unit, it would be wise to get a RCA line adapter and tap off your rear speakers...you can find them on ebay for $5

Also if you get an lone amp not a comb unit, I would get an amp kit from ebay as well, got mine for real cheap, they run very expensive at Best Buy...

Just some ideas...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I want to go through this process as easy as possible. How exactly would i go about getting the audio signal to the sub? I dont have to run a cable to the battery if I tap the power to lets say, the rear lights? Also, If i have to run a cable to the battery, how and from where would i run it?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to run a wire from the battey, I would not reccommend any other way. There is a plundger in the firewall that you can pry off and make the opening slightly bigger to fit a 4 guage power cable. Then put the plundger back on. It is easy enough to get the cable to the trunk without taking off any body pieces, but I would do it. The x has nice cable runs in there that make everything neat. If you are just going to do a sub and amp, here is what I did.

I found the wiring diagram for my my stereo system, actually the dude from bestbuy printed it out for me as a guide when I bought the low-level adapter. (almost $30) - Either way I unplugged the sub, found the rear speaker wires at the sub harness. Wired the lowlevel adapter right there and went rca's to the amp. The bolts that hold the sub up make a good ground. I would also use 4 guage wire for that too! The remote wire needs to come from something thatturns on/off when the car is turned on/off. I ran that wire from the radio.

My stock system was lame, not sure about yours but I was able to have a conversation over the volume set at 35. Sounded great but I like to feel my music. My sub is 250 watts, kicker solobaric L5 and a mtx 4250D - Took a lot of tweaking and it didn't sound right - as I would hear the door speakers over the sub. I eventually upgraded the door speakers with polk momo's (matt h20boy reccommended them) 6.5 components. I have been loving life ever since. I am running them off a JL Audio 300/4 - kicks butt...

Something I have been wanting to try is upgrading the woofers in the stock sub, and sending them some real power - might sound awesome...

Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM

THATS AWESOME LOL.
But yea I will search on the forum, if i cant find it, can you post a link?

Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 PM

I found a white femal plug type that is not occupied. How exactly will i take advantage of this? Do i need to strip the wires? or do i get some sort of connector? Or did i find the wrong plug. I can take a photo of it tommorow. Also how will I get an audio signal to the amp or sub?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 PM

If your gonna keep it all in the trunk your gonna have to tap off the rear speakers

Old 10-05-2008, 09:24 PM

yea i would love to keep it all in the trunk, so i just have to take of one door and than attach the wires? Sorry for the questions, this is my first time doing anything audio related in the car.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 AM

running an amp with separate speakers you should run a thick cable right to the battery with a fuse link in it. the small wire in the car will not hold up to the power the amp will draw. you could wind up burnin up the wire and possibly the car. aftermarket amps are power hungry. for the ground run it as short as possible to a good ground point. the shorter ground will reduce some of the noise.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 AM

You can tap the speakers from the sub harness in the trunk and hook your converter to that, then rca to your amp.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Bojanges has a point but you dont want to go too thin. One time on the way home from a long trip I blew a fuse from my main line. I still had over 1 hour ride and it was late, so I took some speaker wire and jumped it - no **** - it worked for about 30 minutes and high volume - eventually the wires were cooked!So if you ask me, run the correct wires, but what bo says makes perfect sence too! If there is already a heavy enough feed there from the battery - why not? But if it didn't come directly off the battery, I would run an independent line.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Is that the connector you are talking about? I see ground bolts next to it.
This on which side it was found.

How would i get the male plug to go in that? Or do i strip the wires?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30c0doj&s=4
http://i36.tinypic.com/2h53edz.jpg