Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior Questions

Good morning all!

I'm looking at some interior detailing and had a few questions that I wanted to throw out there.

The first one involves the finish that is on the wood panels in the dash and center console. I noticed in two locations there is a crack in the finish where it looks like it was hit by an object, the surface is not showing any chips or anything and is still smooth. Anyone have any similar damage that they were able to repair? I'll take some pics over lunch and post later today so you can see what I'm trying to describe.

Secondly, there are some fairly deep gouges in the leather on the steering wheel, what is the best way to touch this area up? Can you handle it the same way that I've seen done with scuff marks on leather furniture? Fine sand and color match some leather stain?

Lastly, I'm looking at the front seatbelt latches and there seems to be glue/paper residue on the outside of the end. Was there a piece of leather glued here at one time? I'll upload a pic of this one...

Attached Thumbnails Interior Questions-image.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Default Additional Interior Pics

Here are some additional pics trying to show the crack in the wood finish. It's kind of hard to see in the pic but it runs from under the vent to the right over to the edge of the panel and the joint with the next panel. Any tips from members that have corrected/lessened the eyesores would be appreciated!

Frank

Attached Thumbnails Interior Questions-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey Frank,
That is a crack in the veneer under the many layers of clear coat that was put on. The wood was glued onto the metal brackets that make up the dash. Then the wood was stained and clear coated. So even if you sanded it down to the wood, unfortunately the crack would still be there. I don't know if I have a good dash that's not cracked. I can look. And that pad on the seat belt clasp was just a piece of felt to slow down the rubbing of the leather.

Hope this helps
The Dr!

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Thx Dr. Figured it was something like that when I saw the glue on the back of it. Do you have one of the child seat anchors in the parts car that is in good shape that you can toss in with the other two pieces?