Sponsored by:

Introducing myself, just bought my 2nd X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing myself, just bought my 2nd X-Type

Hello everyone!
I recently bought my second X-Type.
I bought my first one new in 2004, a black 2.5-liter manual with the cream interior. I sold it in '07 with fewer than 40,000 miles on the clock, which I regretted soon after. Just recently I saw an '04 black 2.5-liter manual with cream interior for sale. I stopped to look at it thinking it might be the car I sold. It wasn't... but it was in great shape. It had 90,000 miles on it and had been smoked in, but other than that it looked great.
I made an offer... and now I own an '04 X-Type again!

The body and engine are in amazing shape. I feel like the clutch will need some work (the pedal comes up about 2 inches past the brake pedal, but doesn't engage until just below the brake) and I hear some clunks in the rear suspension over bumps. I imagine I have some repairs coming up, no?

So, I'm just wanting to say hello and I'll probably be back many times chatting with you X-Type X-perts out there!

The following users liked this post:
Dumb/Luck (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

tgriffith, welcome back to the club. Treat the kitty nice and it will take care of you. Both of your problems are fairly easy to take care of. Odds are the clunking in the rear end is simply loose shocks. Common problem with these cars and based on the mileage, they are probably due. As for the clutch, not much you can really do about that. One of those things with owning a manual tranny car. May want to see if you can put a bit more adjustment into the clutch to see if you can get some more life out of the clutch. But, otherwise, there is really only one fix for that. But, small price to pay for a car like you got.

I think you will find that there are a lot of people here that are more than willing to talk about the Kitties and share their experiences with you. We try to be a different car club than most. So, sit back, grab a cup of Joe and enjoy. I'm sure you will find lots of information around these parts.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Thermo, I'm excited to be here and learn more about my car. I plan on keeping her for a looong time.
I know replacing the clutch on my own is out of my expertise level, but anyone know the difficulty level of replacing shocks on the car?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Cool , welcome . You can check in FAQs for the tips on your X

Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

tgriffith, the rear shocks, pretty easy and straight forward. If you have average or slightly less mechanical ability, you won't have any issues. As for the front struts, the hard part is getting a spring compressor in there to get the coils compressed enough that you can get the strut out of the holder for the lower A-arm if you don't plan on pulling off the front suspension brackets. If you remove the front suspension brackets (about an additional hour of work total), then getting the struts off is pretty easy. Your call. Removing the lower bracket for the shocks will make the job more of an average mechanical ability to do. You try to do it without removing the bracket and you are making it more challenging, which will up the abilities required to do the job.